Sign in to follow this  
Cupid

Fuse Block Location

Anybody put a new wiring harness in lately? I'm wondering what would be a good place to put the fuse block. As I get older, I'm finding I dislike crawling up under the steering wheel to get to a fuse.

I'm in no rush, I just want to plan ahead.

Any pics?

Anybody put a new wiring harness in lately? I'm wondering what would be a good place to put the fuse block. As I get older, I'm finding I dislike crawling up under the steering wheel to get to a fuse.

I'm in no rush, I just want to plan ahead.

Any pics?

If you're talking about an aftermarket Ron Morris / Painless style harness, mostly I've seen people put those in the glove box or they'll remove the glove box and have the fuse block mounted behind the door for easy access.

I very nearly did exactly that, but my under-dash harness was in good enough condition I chose to keep it and simply replaced the under-hood section with a factory style repop, because it was pretty brittle & had a few cuts/splices.

However, after having a go at replacing a glass fuse - laying on my back, scrunched between the seat and the steering wheel, breaking the cheap little fuse puller AND the glass fuse - I decided I didn't like glass fuses any more. So after a little thought on the matter, I bought some of those fuse taps for the glass style fuses and a little fuse block:

thumb-php-img-images-2fproducts-2f30200-250x250.jpg

IMG_0373_600x530.jpg

I pulled all the old fuses out of the original fuse block, cleaned all the contacts, and stuck the fuse taps in without reinstalling the old glass fuses. I used wadded-up aluminum foil to keep the fuse taps nice & tight in the clips:

IMG_0517_600x530.jpg

I then made a wiring harness about 15" long or so using some female push-on spade connectors so I could connect the new fuse block to the taps in the old fuse block.

The new fuse block is secured up behind the dash where it's nice & safe out of the way, but I can still get to it to drop it down if I need to change a fuse.