Sign in to follow this  
Big Secz

'71 Torino GT

I normally wouldn't post this on a Mustang forum, but a lot of people know me and I've been a member for the forum for a while so I figured I'd share my non-Mustang project albeit still a ford.

I Just got back from Carlisle last night. Went with a group a friends for three days. It was my first time and I loved every minute. Good times and good stories.

Perhaps best of all I ended up getting my next project. Some deals are just too good to pass up. I stumbled across a metallic '71 Torino GT that has kind of an interesting story. Car is originally from Central VA in the same area that I live in. Car was purchased new in '71 by a lady who kept the car until she died and left the car to her daughter. The daughter kept the car up until 9 months ago when the current owner purchased it.

Car has a 351C 4bbl and C6 automatic with 45k original miles. My only gripe is the interior color. I can live with the metallic green quickie paint job, but the green interior has got to go. But again that is small considering I was able to get the car for $8,000 delivered.

Ultimately I will black the car out. But for right now I'll just throw a set of chrome Torque Thrust five spokes on it and change the interior over to black with white seats, and then just drive it and enjoy it.

Wow, that looks really tidy. Well done!

That is a lot of green, but I think I like it too. Will be hard to remove it when it looks like it is in great condition.

Wow-that nearly looks like a-dare I say it......a survivor? :)

Have always loved the Torinos. When I was a teen, my oldest brother had a yellow 70 model GT with automatic and 351C. Back in the day, his buddies had convinced him to get his heads shaved and make his own head gaskets from thin shim stock to increase compression ratios.

He took their advice and I was there when he first cranked it up. Ran ok for a few minutes than started running really sluggish. Checked compression and most were REALLY low. Took it back apart and his "high performance" gaskets had blown out in between each cylinder where each was closest to the next. I wish I had pics of that!!!!

Came across this one on the drive home the other day.

Hey I didn't realize that the car you were talking about was there, I would have gone to take a peek myself! Good to meet someone from the board in person and congrats on the new car!

Hey Six,

It was good to meet you too. Actually the one I told you about is back here in VA. It just so happens that a buddy of mine that I was with saw this one in the corral and came and got me. The one I was initially looking at was a Torino 500 formal roof which wasn't my preference. This one is the fastback and is a GT and I got it for less than what the guy wanted for the other one. This deal was just too good to pass up.

My best friend in HS had a white 71 GT his dad bought new and gave to him when he turned 16 (in 77). It got me hooked on fords. The front end floats real bad above 140 and the back of the hood starts rising up. :innocent: We have some great stories and a lot of good times in that car. They still have the car and his dad has a red one he shows regularly.

No kidding so a great trip for you then! I can't wait to start putting some of the stuff I got on my car. Definitely coming back next year, but earlier there was just not enough time to do everything.

Yeah, the group of guys that I went with and I have decided to go back next year and they are going to vend again as well and sell more of their spare parts. One of the guys that went with us restores Mustangs so he always has spare parts to unload.

I'm trying to figure out what size rims to put on it. I was going to go with 17x8 on all corners. But now I'm not sure if I want to go with a larger 18 in the rear. I know I really like how it rides so I don't want to go drastic on the size of the wheels that will affect the ride too much.

I'm trying to figure out what size rims to put on it. I was going to go with 17x8 on all corners. But now I'm not sure if I want to go with a larger 18 in the rear. I know I really like how it rides so I don't want to go drastic on the size of the wheels that will affect the ride too much.

I vote 20's! You need to fill out the wheel wells on that land yacht! :-) j/k

But seriously. I do think 20's would be amazing on that thing (then bag it), will still ride smooth.

Nice ride.

Well I finally got around to starting work on the Torino. Right now I'm going to attack the interior. I'm going to change the Dark Ivy Green interior to a black and white combination.

Most of the original parts are in great shape. Except for needing to replace the driver's side kick pane and the driver's side sun visor arm, everything else can be painted or dyed.

First on the list is attempting to repair the dash pad. Here are the trouble areas now before I attempt to repair them.

Well the dashpad restoration didn't work out too well. the cracks are just too big. So I ordered a black coverlay for it. I did finish one of the door panels. I think it came out pretty good for my first attempt. Should look good with white seats.