latoracing

1970 Grabber Green Project

One more piece of the puzzle came from the FedUp fellow today. I really do wish they would offer these cowl parts not spot welded together. I want to seal the inside of this part as much as possible, and being welded together is going to make it fun to do. I am seriously considering taking it apart to make the job easier, and better. I am glad the industry is repopping this part, making one would be interesting to say the least.

IMG_20130805_1949261_zps19db0582.jpg

Still messing with my floor, slow going. Looks like I am going to have to pull it out again to make the inner wheel well flange fit better. I could beat it in, but I don't like dents on a brand new sheet metal part. At least the outside attachment points have been punched, still need to drill all the middle attachment points. Trying to get it all prepped in order to fry it this week. We'll see...

I just ordered my full floor yesterday and its on its way. what brand did you use? also did you have to brace up your car any special way? or cut anything extra out to get the floor in?

This is a Dynacorn stamping, not 100% accurate, but for what I am doing, works great. With the car on jack stands, and no motor or trans, I didn't do anything special to brace the chassis. I have the car level front to rear, and side to side per the rockers. I did have the rockers and front frame rails braced while installing the torque boxes, and will have it all braced again for the cowl install. As far as cutting anything extra, this is a big piece, but it dropped right in, didn't cut a thing. It is much easier to put in with two people, kinda hard by your self. I know I will get to fix a floor again, and I will do another one piece floor, it is much easier than long pans (IMO) and probably wouldn't be that much more expensive, even with the up front sticker shock, as compaired to all the labor, probably the same $$$ in the long run. You will like it when you put it in place, espically if you don't have the inner rockers to deal with.

I ordered the Dynacorn floor also but I ordered the Weld-Thru Primer. I'm hopinh all goes well I never really did anything like this. I was working on my torque box and noticed the floor and other stuff just slapped together so I'm starting to really tear into this thing.

Also I noticed back on page 23 after your welded in your torque box you welded a panel over it was that the Floor To Firewall Extension Driver Side 1965-1970?

Yup, had to put that in as it was all rusted. The factory put the firewall and related items in, then the floor sits on top of the extensions. I ordered my floor last year, they started offering the weld through primer later on in the year. Good stuff, but needs to be top coated or it will rust. It is fun, take your time and it will be good as new. If I can do this, so can any one else.

The fire wall extensions suck, especially the driver's side. It must have been made for a Nova or something, I had to reshape it a bunch. If it were a restoration, there is no way it would have been installed. That is something that needs to be worked on, not impossible to do, just be warned.

Exciting times! Got a box today from Formula 43 with some wheel centers in it. I have been working with them on some custom 3-piece wheels, and they wanted to check the fit of the hubs before final finishing. The machined centers are beautiful in their raw machined state. Everything was well packaged, and made it to me with out a scratch. I have been pleased with their service so far, as they have gone out of their way to make me happy, and make shure I get a first rate product. All is well, so back in the box they go to get powder coated, and assembled. This ROCKS!!!!

:punk:

Front...

IMG_20130807_154437_zps01622ec3.jpg

:drool:

Rear...

IMG_20130807_154917_zps1e5000f8.jpg

Got to work on the floor pretty much all day. There isn't a lot to show, just getting everything in place, and fitting areas that needed attention. I was surprised at how well the floor mated up to the repair I made on the driver's side sail panel (or what ever the correct term is) Both sides of the floor lined up fairly well, with a little adjustment, even with the mini tub mods. The holes I had previously put in the inner wheel wells now line up with the floor flanges, which was cool. The front is being a little stubborn fitting around the trans tunnel brace. Attempting to get all the areas to touch like it came apart. It is close on the pas. side, but the driver's side needs a little help. A medium sized hammer will have to be used...

The only part of the entire one piece floor I do not like is where the floor meets the rocker panel right in front of the wheel wells. Both sides are short. I can beat them to fit, but that is what the factory did. It looked awful in that area, from the factory! When I remove the floor one more time I am going to make some sheet metal "L" angles, and remove the flange off the floor. That way I should be able to make it look a little better back there. Must have been a late Friday car on the assembly line.

A couple more adjustments, and it is removal / prep time...

IMG_20130810_153409_zpsd33b0e4f.jpg

Looking good! If it makes you feel any better, when they were making my car and had areas where the floor, trans tunnel etc didn't fit flush, they merely used sealant to fill the gaps. Found this out when I blasted the body. Nice work guys. Keep up the nice work!

Bob

Looking good! If it makes you feel any better, when they were making my car and had areas where the floor, trans tunnel etc didn't fit flush, they merely used sealant to fill the gaps. Found this out when I blasted the body. Nice work guys. Keep up the nice work!

Bob

This is what I found in my car when I pulled out the torque box. I noticed the floors weren't even touching the frame rails lots of mud, seam sealer, and undercoating. So I ordered a one piece floor and started cutting. I tell you what that's a scary feeling when big chunks of floor start hitting the ground.

The driver's side of this car must have been built by someone getting ready to go on vacation, or a newbe. 90% of the pass. side has been a breeze to work on, take something off, put a new part on. The driver's side, well that's a different story, take something off, re-work under structure, beat the parts to fit, or modify. I have seen worse, at least this part of the floor pan was sorta welded to the rocker, and filled with a ton of seam sealer. (...there, no one will ever know...) You just have to laugh, and go on.

Going to go put some more screws in, and finish marking the floor. Should be coming back out tonight...

Pan is out, back on the saw bucks. The rear tabs to rocker (in front of the wheel house) are history. 90% of the holes are drilled, just a couple more in the torque box area and it will be ready for deburing and some scotch bright.

I have to prep the car, so I might fix one or two more areas around the A pillar, before I stick the floor back in. I need to get more primer, or I won't be installing anything. I am going to do the areas that can't be accessed, and not spray the entire inside just yet. The floor will have to be done, and I think it will be a neater job spraying all the finished areas all at once. Plus, there are some areas I want to get rid of surface rust before I waste my time covering it. It is getting there!

IMG_20130813_192956_zps9c69aab6.jpg

Not that many spot welds in the origonal. They had a single spaced rows, with the welds 2" or so on center, I went over board. I used a Whitney punch for all the holes on the edge, so I didn't have to drill them, quicker and easier. The weld and sealant manual shows where and how many spot welds to put in a paticular part. I use it quite often.

Ok I got to ask why did you weld in the convertable inner rockers?

Looking at chassis stiffness, inner rockers compaired to sub frame connectors, the inner rockers are much stronger in a twisting situation as the rockers are twice as big as stock. Plus, I will be installing a one piece seat riser, along with the lower reinforcements to make things that much more rigid, by tying the rockers together. I will be installing a cage in the car as well, and hopefully have a strong foundation for going around a few corners. This is part of my goal of having an almost track car, on the street.

Fun filled day of grinding (I hate grinding). I had made a small repair part for my A pillar a while back, and haven't gotten around to installing it, so that was one of the things I wanted to do before I weld the floor in. When I was fixing the vent area I saw a bunch of pin holes in the metal just in front of the door. Here we go again, the factory worker had attempted to spot weld the pieces together right in the middle of the step, duuuuh... it didn't hold as there were only three spot welds doing anything. Made it easy to get off though. This car had to rattle from day one, as this is not the only place there was nothing holding it together. Just another repair...

IMG_20130817_132632_zps965bc5b8.jpg

A little trimming, a few holes in the right place and...

IMG_20130817_150105_zps86e43104.jpg

Once I had this welded in, I got to grinding, yuck. It is all done though, so a little more prepping, and in goes the floor for the last time. YEA!!!!

It has been a long time since this poor thing had a complete floor in it. I don't know how long it has been apart but it is much happier today. I got to put this one piece floor in for the last time, and I am glad. It went right in with very little fuss, and fell right into place. A few hundred screws later, along with lots of hole scraping (it irritates me when I can't get my welder to arc) and it is ready to light up. I know what I'll be doing after work tomorrow...

IMG_20130819_165428_zpsc04a450f.jpg

While there are many baby steps putting these things back together, that my friend its a big boy step! In the end you'll appreciate it knowing you did it the right way.

Bob