latoracing

1970 Grabber Green Project

Started forming the inner portion of the bumper end and figured out the pot metal extension was all in the way. So, once again, to modify one thing leads to another and another lol. I had three pieces of my version of a quarter extension roughly shaped waiting their turn to be tweaked and trimmed. With a little tape to get the parts to stay put along with some clamps the end portion and top were stuck in place.

IMG_1044.thumb.jpg.8bdfa6bac09ea268f0bdfbdc01dc29d6.jpg

I am seriously thinking about welding this to the quarter for a permanent (as permeant as sheet metal can be) part. There are lots of contours and lines to pick up on from the factory sheet metal. I want the contour of the deck lid to flow into the end caps along with the radius in the deck lid. I do not want to just bond the pot metal parts in place and shape with filler, this is a little more tedious. As the majority of the radius' are slight, getting the "look" just right took a bunch of trips across the shop back to the english wheel. 

IMG_1043.thumb.jpg.f8ddf150a433df482c8ee5ba78ca3221.jpg

I used my flat wheel to basically bead roll a body line in the  upper portion and rough trimmed the part to fit. The side portion has a little more shape to it, with a couple of reverses to mimic the pot metal part. More trimming and it was temporarily stuck in place.

IMG_1048.thumb.jpg.32fb7ace503b6c72f55a27fa5722450d.jpg

A little more time with a slightly more aggressive anvil and this should fit even better. I need to borrow a contour gauge from work to verify the parts to the quarter panel and make some templates for the other side. Once all this is verified I'll get it all trimmed up and might put some tacks on it. 

I don't know what goes on inside that head of yours Mike, but I surely do like this mod. The way my extensions "fit" is you just get them close enough that any one joint isn't too obviously off line.

Can't wait to see this completed.

Once again, been really busy with other side work. Between the 65 Vert, to now, working on some '62 Impala parts that someone wants remade (since they don't repop the parts) I'm still around, just neglecting my stuff yet again.

I did prime the passenger door shell and skin the other week. It should be really cured by now lol.

IMG_1132.jpg.4eac0c7d099c0bad31b96ba31f9e4667.jpg

I have also completed beating the tail light fill in's for my "flushish" tail light mod. The third part out of the MDF hammer form worked quite well. I'm still impressed at how a bunch of saw dust can take repeated poundings like that.

IMG_1131.thumb.jpg.b50c563664de501feaf8c7871d474804.jpg

It was a little difficult to remove from the form, once all the edges were bent to their proper shape. Now I can get them rough trimmed and a few more details added. 

IMG_1135.jpg.184fc9dfaedfffdc9c9f2ffcec124b3b.jpg

I will get to it, but for now, back to the chebby parts. 

Been cyphering on these tail lights (in-between chebby parts) and needed some insight on how to attach them and such. Since the lenses are sorta flush to the tail light panel ('70 panels are convex, wish it was flat), I needed to know how they will sit. Obviously, the '69 buckets will not come close to fitting a "flat" panel, and they are in need of extending a tad.

IMG_1155.thumb.jpg.a4313eb3123142f9ce9ce20db71a2f9c.jpg

The second issue was how to mount them. I haven't messed with a '69 in quite some time and i have no recollection of how they are attached. I asked Bob for insight, which was very helpful (Thanks Bob!) but I'll have to do a little more modifications (oh no, not that...) to get them situated. I started out getting the housings flat by trimming off most of the lip. I could have went all the way to the bottom of the flange, but thought that it might warp more when welded. I also cut the mounting tabs off of each bucket and saved them for repositioning a little later on. 

A long strip of 20ga CRS, and a little creativity, fitting as it was tack welded in place, and we have one bucket ready for some more welding. Will repeat the process on the other bucket and get them both all cleaned up. 

IMG_1157.thumb.jpg.c2cf8bf02f4e5ac3d3f3a50cd9d0aec5.jpg

I will definitely have to find some closed cell foam rubber (McMaster Carr to the rescue) to cut the gaskets out of, since nothing will fit once they are in place. My can of worms has turned into a 55gal drum of worms. This is getting interesting...

Mike, I've been away for some time and thought about your 70 Grabber Green project. I came to check out your progress, but I can't see any of your pictures, any ideas?  Hope this message finds you well.

10 hours ago, Bossed said:

Mike, I've been away for some time and thought about your 70 Grabber Green project. I came to check out your progress, but I can't see any of your pictures, any ideas?  Hope this message finds you well.

Doing quite well, and I hope you are. Thanks for the inquiry. 

As the reality of "nothing last forever" sets in, this site has lost a lot of valuable information with the deletion of thousands of pictures. I am not alone in this issue, and I am greatly saddened by the hundreds of hours of time lost documenting these wonderful builds. I would love to continue documenting my progress here but I am not up for the tons of hours to upload my pictures just to loose them again. A picture is worth a thousand words which should be shared with others. I may look into some type of secure hosting site, but for now, I'm going to continue building but unfortunately will not adding to this thread. 

I will continue to be a part of the 69stang community, and look forward to a good resolution to this issue, 

Thanks to all who contributed to this thread, and I hope to revive it one day.

Mike

On ‎7‎/‎29‎/‎2018 at 5:57 PM, latoracing said:

Doing quite well, and I hope you are. Thanks for the inquiry. 

As the reality of "nothing last forever" sets in, this site has lost a lot of valuable information with the deletion of thousands of pictures. I am not alone in this issue, and I am greatly saddened by the hundreds of hours of time lost documenting these wonderful builds. I would love to continue documenting my progress here but I am not up for the tons of hours to upload my pictures just to loose them again. A picture is worth a thousand words which should be shared with others. I may look into some type of secure hosting site, but for now, I'm going to continue building but unfortunately will not adding to this thread. 

I will continue to be a part of the 69stang community, and look forward to a good resolution to this issue, 

Thanks to all who contributed to this thread, and I hope to revive it one day.

Mike

Mike, like the above gentleman, I too have been away for awhile. This past year I spent practically every free minute rebuilding a house that I own that was destroyed by renters. Done with that, house is finished and on the market for sale and I'm back working on the Mustang. That aside, I'm pained in not seeing your posts here. It was always exciting to me to come to this place and see your progress and marvel in your skills. It was encouraging to me, as are you, being the person that you are. You've helped me out several times and I'm indebted to you. I know you've been there for others too. Frankly, these build threads, like yours, are paramount in drawing people to the site. I've spent hours upon days looking at the builds and gathering information (as you said, a " picture is worth a thousand words") on this website. Please, post up some quick pictures of your project from time to time. 

John

Hi John, Mike did a significant amount of work on my car, and spent a significant a lot of time  posting pictures of all the details of the structural repairs.    I also spent a significant amount of time detailing many aspects of my build. 

I recently lost more pictures, and appealed to the website administrator for help. The website has some significant issues with either memory or a bandwidrh her both. So the approach the  administrator is  taking is to remove pictures. 

There doesn’t appear to be a long-term resolution to this, so I urge you to send a note to the administrator and the moderators of the website and solicit their help in resolving this issue 

The other solution could be to move to VMF,  which is not my preferred option 

7 hours ago, Machspeed said:

Mike, like the above gentleman, I too have been away for awhile. This past year I spent practically every free minute rebuilding a house that I own that was destroyed by renters. Done with that, house is finished and on the market for sale and I'm back working on the Mustang. That aside, I'm pained in not seeing your posts here. It was always exciting to me to come to this place and see your progress and marvel in your skills. It was encouraging to me, as are you, being the person that you are. You've helped me out several times and I'm indebted to you. I know you've been there for others too. Frankly, these build threads, like yours, are paramount in drawing people to the site. I've spent hours upon days looking at the builds and gathering information (as you said, a " picture is worth a thousand words") on this website. Please, post up some quick pictures of your project from time to time. 

John

Thank you for checking in on my progress. Glad you are recovering from careless renters and their lack of concern for other people's property.

I'm still learning and attempting to gain new skills along with trying to keep old skills sharpened. I am so privileged to have a desire to share freely what I have learned over my life and have been blessed with some degree of skill. If you can't lift up someone else and encourage them in their efforts, what good are skills and knowledge if you can't pass it along?  I am defiantly not the be all / end all of what I do, and by no means perfect. I do miss sharing what all is going on but is is so discouraging to put so much time into something to have it deleted. 

I'll get Vic all fixed up and a few other projects completed and I will be back on my stuff, which has been gathering dust...

Thanks for the kind words John,

Mike