latoracing

1970 Grabber Green Project

With not having to lay out a part like this in quite a while, I was able to get a paper template made of 1/2 of the oval to round transition. Laying it out on some 16ga 304 the parts were cut out, formed and tack welded together.

KIMG0174_zps2kja0nfy.thumb.jpg.0a66ee862fcf12be4629f9c6f6e25a40.jpg

I was also messing around with the visible tip area and after chopping up some more tubing the pieces were tacked to the tips. As the same size tube stuck on the outside of another tube, there is a gap that has to be filled (obviously) which was filled with some strips.
KIMG0175_zps35jb0hun.thumb.jpg.b78a06455e11641b20bec8d4cac2bb25.jpg
My intentions for these outer pieces is to make the tip look thicker and allow for a nice radius on the edges. Trimming the outer parts to be just a tad longer and welding the edges together with some extra filler wire will give some material for shaping.
KIMG0176_zpsqywngiee.thumb.jpg.7a2232dcf560859991bfd385989e1c4b.jpg

Welding all the way around, rather quickly, gave me the results I was after. This tubing is awful to weld. They must use nuclear waste in the mandrel lube. I soaked these parts and still had oil come out while I was welding. Oh well, it's fixin' to be ground into a more presentable part.

KIMG0177_zpsh6ega7m0.thumb.jpg.e2f476589ef7df1bbd93dd312cbc7961.jpg

After a few touch ups and a bunch of grinding and sanding, the tips are just about ready to be brush finished. I'm going to cheat and take them to work and use the large machines there to give it a proper #4 polish. The ends need to be basically final finished before joining the two parts together, much easier to finish as separate parts.

KIMG0178_zps35emhxpj.thumb.jpg.96fa69e0d89051d837e4f7e4c9ad7ea9.jpg

Looking at the side of all of them, I'm happy that they actually are the same size and shape. 

KIMG0179_zpsnyuh1tyz.thumb.jpg.3801f7541136e065b07ace045d2976ea.jpg

Boy do I like the way you think. Genius idea to give the edge some mass for a better look. Those pipes are turning out so nice! I'm thinking this is my favorite part of your build Mike.

Not to fear ,if you decide you don't want to go through the rockers ,i have some outer rocker sections here if you need them .

Have you thought about a nascar type exhaust exit out of the rockers ?

First class, Ridge....always supportive and helpful. Thank you for your contributions here. You and guys like Mike whom put up their projects to inspire and encourage so many of us here. I really appreciate it. 

John 

Mike, these look great.   Maybe some time you can explain what the #4 polish is.  Assume you will just buff the nonsense of the stainless tips, or what is really involved with that....?

The polish grades go from a rough, basically sanded finish (#1) to a mirror like buff finish (#8) mainly dealing with stainless finishes. I used to love "brushed finished" stainless, kinda board with it now. So, taking the tips and getting rid of all the flap wheel 80 grit marks, they are brought to a uniform shine with a 3M Tricut (A-45 to be exact) belt. It cuts like 40 grit, but leaves a 600 grit finish. I didn't like the luster of the finish so a little grey scotch-brite was used to dull the finish down a little. About 10 minutes a tip.

KIMG0180_zpsr3rd2ktw.thumb.jpg.1cf3b03934012d4469498f700ec80020.jpg

KIMG0181_zpsxyjuhuth.thumb.jpg.e1beccb5d61f22bec4ed7bfc11198d6e.jpg

Working with finished parts isn't fun as the finish will get damaged at some point (I dropped them off the bench last night), but are easier to fix when scratches happen. Scary that these parts are all out of scrap material.

Whoa! Those are really top shelf quality. You guys are making me feel a whole lot better as I thought I was the only Mr Magoo dropping finished parts. I guess misery does love company.

I've been busy lately, but have sneaked in a few minutes here and there getting the tips welded together. Not a lot of progress, but at least there is a little effort.  This is the driver's side getting the seams stitched together. 

KIMG0201_zpsk6hro09x.thumb.jpg.cc1abfc7991ad46ab855834d32a28fe8.jpg

I had the passenger side welded together the other day and have partially cleaned it up

KIMG0193_zpsxxwha53j.thumb.jpg.f33961f256387e99cc4b7cbb34440f12.jpg

Might tidy them up a little more, then it's time to make some larger holes in the rockers...

Since the tips are all done and cleaned up, I got started on making the rocker tunnel pieces. I had drawn a 1 to 1 scale layout for the opening along with doing all the fun math for the part lay out lines. Marking the bend tangent lines on the 14ga steel, I had a little to trim off as I gave myself a little extra room for home forming issues.

KIMG0203_zpslzj4pphz.thumb.jpg.2d4f53ed85906946c2bc63eaddf689fb.jpg

As I don't have a slip roll (maybe one day...) I have to do things a little differently. The oval to round transitions that I fabricated where formed on my box and pan brake, (step breaking) so these tunnel pieces got the same treatment, to get them started. Placing a slight bend every 3/16" to 1/4" a radius is formed without looking like a stop sign. The hardest part of a hand bent piece is getting the tangents just right, so this helps with symmetrical parts. 

KIMG0205_zpsyswfl2nk.thumb.jpg.f401fad1ed9ba9eb9d1d0e66819b0f4a.jpg

I basically used a 3" dolly to form these parts over. The outside finished dimension was to be 3 3/8", so spring back was a helpful instead of irritating. Most of these parts I bent them a little at a time, then finished them off with the 11R's

KIMG0202_zpsi1e5lsbe.thumb.jpg.3dd382675d82b948cc0a1b015704ac64.jpg

After checking my work against my 1 to 1, the parts were trimmed to fit as I had to have extra material to form the radius on the short portions.

KIMG0204_zpslvcs2htr.thumb.jpg.e3bb9f98b16af2c26a33af83c1301e77.jpg

Once I was happy with the fit, the parts were tack welded together, then fried them on the inside. I did the "grind" style TIG weld again as I want to metal finish these parts on the car.  

KIMG0206_zpsdi0tjvkl.thumb.jpg.d615258231c2985e068d93da5ae0de5b.jpg

I got done making parts, so it was on to the car to make this stuff fit. I got lucky with the hole I cut in my rocker when I first started this mod. I trimmed the tunnel to fit in place, which took a bit as I didn't want to cut away too much. Once everything was trimmed, the Plasma cutter got a workout to clear away all the stuff that was in the way of the tip fitting. So as all that material became debris on the floor, I trimmed the back portion of the rocker to the newly formed tunnel. Happy with it's fitment, I traced the outside and rough cut it with the Plasma cutter, leaving a little extra just incase. 

KIMG0207_zpsj3wgzjms.thumb.jpg.e11707a4577a0798b77daf9dc7867c2b.jpg

I'll get this prepped and tack welded in position next time out. I have a repair to make to my torque box as my dual tip idea got me into the back corner a little.  Lots left to do, but at least it is starting to come together.

Very nice and cool Mike. Who needs a roller?

Since the first set is out of the way, how much to make the "easy" second set Mike? :)

The second set is done, (made duplicate parts when building the first set) all cleaned up and getting ready to be fitted into it's new home.

I figured one set would be for both sides. And I was trying to be funny and get you to make a set for me :)

Very nice and cool Mike. Who needs a roller?

I figured one set would be for both sides. And I was trying to be funny and get you to make a set for me :)

I'll make you some, but you'll be doing this chopping portion inverted lol. Could make some for the rear valance...

With a bunch of grinding, about 30 minutes of welding, and more grinding, the tunnel portion is in place. There is a bunch more grinding and a ton of touch ups to do as I ended up welding the quarter to rocker seam solid. The tunnel was too close to the seam and would have looked weird. I might grind the seam in place, kinda like extreme rigid seam sealer, or blend it all in. Will have to look at that area a little more.

KIMG0210_zpsedclfxd5.thumb.jpg.6d1b4ca94c43f1c3342faa459e0ed656.jpg

The yellow tape makes the tips stand out against the bare metal. I'll get the edges a little more defined and more symmetrical, more shaping to do...

KIMG0209_zpswtaw1fzp.thumb.jpg.85e95e83b0a68d1ee751652170043525.jpg

Sweet!

I like how the bike is now doing a kick ass wheelie in the background too, Bob. hehe

Will you be filling the exhaust cutouts in the rear now they are no longer needed?

Ya Mike, about that bike. When I was in NC last October I drove around 600 miles, and that bike on the wall in Mike's shop was the only bike I saw in four days there. Mike claims there are a lot of bikes in NC as he used to ride a lot, but I'm calling bs :) I've no idea why that has stuck in my brain, but I think of it every couple of weeks. Might be because I used to put 500 miles a month on my bike. I know, I'm weird.

Not weird, Bob. I notice things like that too. For example when I was in the US I noticed a lack of birds. Perhaps just because we have so many here, I don't know.

Plus, I like doing wheelies on my bike. I appreciated that one doing one too.

Sorry Mike, carry on with the nice work.