latoracing

1970 Grabber Green Project

It's official! Let the waiting games begin! Got my wheels on order, so in roughly 3 ish weeks, some more pretty parts to play with. I will make it a point to take some pics when they get here. I would love to put some tires on them, but it would be a waste, they'd dry rot before I got to use them, much like my mock up tires. (They are hard as a brick)

It is time to get back to work!!! I put all the nice shiny stuff back in their boxes, and stored them for a while. It is back to a stripped down shell again, so the repairs can get back under way. I'll get started on my driver's side floor support R+R this week. I want to see how this one piece floor is going to work, only had it for all most a year...

:punk:

It's official! Let the waiting games begin! Got my wheels on order.... I'll get started on my driver's side floor support R+R this week. I want to see how this one piece floor is going to work, only had it for all most a year...

:punk:

I'm looking forward to the full floor install. I had my floors done in sections many years ago by a body shop and messed them up. So I'm trying to decide on how I will repair them. Currently looking at the Dynacorn full floor. What brand/style of wheels did you order ? Good work so far !

I'm looking forward to the full floor install. I had my floors done in sections many years ago by a body shop and messed them up. So I'm trying to decide on how I will repair them. Currently looking at the Dynacorn full floor. What brand/style of wheels did you order ? Good work so far !

I deviated from my wheel poll, and did not buy Forgelines, they had a substantial price increase and could not justify it. Went shopping again, and sent quote requests to several other custom wheel shops. ET wheel was one of them and would not even quote me a custom set, said the offset I wanted was to modern, (love the mini lite design) guess they have plenty of business.

Found a company that makes their wheels here in the USA, (I am shure there are others out there) but the sales guy Travis Johnson at Formula 43 went out of his way to return Emails, kept in touch over several weeks with out being annoying, and was down to earth. So I spent a sizable chunk of my build budget with them. I bought the RAD 14 version, Laguna grey centers with a brushed outer lip, satin clear coated with a smoke tent, and satin black inner rims, so dirt won't show as bad. These are 3 piece rims with the bolts on the inside, gives it a clean look, and easier to wipe off. Here is a pic from their web site, if you are curious...

RAD%2014%20Clear-1033.jpg

Travis said the back spacing would yield a 3" lip up front, and a 4" lip out back, ought to be just right. If you would like to check them out..

http://www.formula43.com/wheels.html :punk:

I'm never bored or disappointed when I view this thread, nice work. I really like your wheel choice. So let me get this straight, you inquire about a set of custom wheels, and the moron tells you that the offset is too modern??? You did what I'd have done and spent your money with someone who provides service.

Bob

Thanks for all the complements that everyone posts, I appreciate it a lot!

Didn't have class after work today, so I got to get all nice and dirty. I removed the driver's side floor support, which I thought was in good shape, WRONG! The PO put a new torque box in, well kind of, over a great big rust hole. I was thinking that this side would not have to be replaced, looked good from the outside. I drilled out most of the spot welds, except for the bottom. It just tore away with little effort, along with a fairly good size part of the frame rail. Went ahead and cut a section out, no big deal, and did a bunch of grinding and wire wheeling, all over the inside of the car. I all ready was covered in red dust, might as well get a bunch done, which I did.

IMG_20130618_184841_zps91a93953.jpg

I've got to visit the scrap bin at work tomorrow to get me a frame rail patch so it can be installed and prepped for the floor support. Looks like there will be a bunch of drilling in my future.

As I was under my car, I saw a little pin hole in my driver's side rocker, just where the front fender sits, oh yea, more rust

IMG_20130618_184920_zps33bf0aa3.jpg

The outer rockers are galvanized, and look to be in great shape, except for this area. I am going to strip what is left of the green paint off of the body once I get it to a point of being able to go on a rotisserie. (gona build one) The cowl is screwed on this car, and I didn't want to fold it up like a wet noodle before it could be de-rusted. I still might have some soda blasting done once it is flippable. There was just so much that had to be replaced, I didn't want to do it to begin with. At any rate, it will be as rust free as I can get it when I get done. More fixin' later this week...

Edited by latoracing
can't spell

In your last post (#207) in the first pic it shows the car on a jack stand, do you have the whole car supported on jack stands when you are doing all this work?.

It is a bunch of measuring to do it this way, but yes, it is on jack stands. I use multiple stands when replacing structure parts. I have a "elevation" plan to check certian holes, and hights. I have made body fixtures, and they work great, just didn't do one for this build. I have everything level, and square when I started. I have referance marks on the floor that I check with plumb bobs to verify that parts are in their correct placement. I also have been making smaller braces as needed to hold things, like the b pillars, when there is a bunch of pieces missing. Being just a unibody, it is light, and dosen't move to much.

It is a bunch of measuring to do it this way, but yes, it is on jack stands. I use multiple stands when replacing structure parts. I have a "elevation" plan to check certian holes, and hights. I have made body fixtures, and they work great, just didn't do one for this build. I have everything level, and square when I started. I have referance marks on the floor that I check with plumb bobs to verify that parts are in their correct placement. I also have been making smaller braces as needed to hold things, like the b pillars, when there is a bunch of pieces missing. Being just a unibody, it is light, and dosen't move to much.

Fixed my lower frame rail this afternoon. Got a strip of metal that was dropped out of the shear, just the right size. Tacked it in place, and welded it up

IMG_20130620_171839_zpsebe4456b.jpg

Got a little deep with the spot weld removal, so I went ahead and filled them up while I was at it. All welds were ground smooth, test fitted the extension, a little epoxy, and it was off to Swiss cheese my new part.

IMG_20130620_183758_zpsa7e2f365.jpg

I use a 3/8" drill on the heavier gauge material, 5/16" on most other parts, that is if it isn't too close to an edge. Got it all deburred, then stuck in place for the final time. I used several clamps to get it set before tacking, and a bunch of measuring before any sparks flew.

IMG_20130620_194418_zps63165bad.jpg

It is all tacked in place, ready for some more welding, I didn't feel like getting burnt any more today, had enough welding at work. Time to go eat something... :punk:

Fixed my lower frame rail this afternoon. Got a strip of metal that was dropped out of the shear, just the right size. Tacked it in place, and welded it up

IMG_20130620_171839_zpsebe4456b.jpg

Got a little deep with the spot weld removal, so I went ahead and filled them up while I was at it. All welds were ground smooth, test fitted the extension, a little epoxy, and it was off to Swiss cheese my new part.

IMG_20130620_183758_zpsa7e2f365.jpg

I use a 3/8" drill on the heavier gauge material, 5/16" on most other parts, that is if it isn't too close to an edge. Got it all deburred, then stuck in place for the final time. I used several clamps to get it set before tacking, and a bunch of measuring before any sparks flew.

IMG_20130620_194418_zps63165bad.jpg

It is all tacked in place, ready for some more welding, I didn't feel like getting burnt any more today, had enough welding at work. Time to go eat something... :punk:

Had a couple of hours to do a few things before the afternoon activities. I was able to get the left side floor extension fried in place. I also went ahead and seam welded most of it as well, just like the right side.

IMG_20130622_115501_zps4e768cd9.jpg

I prepped the left inner rocker by installing the cap on the forward end, wiping it down, and spraying epoxy on it. I also had to spray the area where it would be attached to the inside of the car while I was at it. Once it all was nice and sorta dry, I clamped it into position, and prepped the holes to be welded the next time I get to go play.

IMG_20130622_133145_zps1c5e6c4f.jpg

Once this is all welded in place, I can install the torque box and all the related pieces in that area. I like the new metal that is becoming part of this build, hopefully it will be solid when I am done. :punk:

Had a couple of hours to do a few things before the afternoon activities. I was able to get the left side floor extension fried in place. I also went ahead and seam welded most of it as well, just like the right side.

IMG_20130622_115501_zps4e768cd9.jpg

I prepped the left inner rocker by installing the cap on the forward end, wiping it down, and spraying epoxy on it. I also had to spray the area where it would be attached to the inside of the car while I was at it. Once it all was nice and sorta dry, I clamped it into position, and prepped the holes to be welded the next time I get to go play.

IMG_20130622_133145_zps1c5e6c4f.jpg

Once this is all welded in place, I can install the torque box and all the related pieces in that area. I like the new metal that is becoming part of this build, hopefully it will be solid when I am done. :punk: