latoracing

1970 Grabber Green Project

This quarter pannel all most went in the yard several times! I can't believe this stupid thing would not go on.

:surrender:

Had the hammer in my hand ready to beat it up a few times when I installed my passenger side quarter panel.

What place did you buy the quarters from?

What place did you buy the quarters from?

95% of the parts I have purchaced are from CJ Pony Parts, and have been pleased with their service. (Free shipping except for large items) I did buy the inner wheel tubs from Goodmark ind. quite expensive, (and other people are carring them now.) along with the direct buy from Dynacorn for the trap door frame. I am shure the quality of Dynacorn parts (who ever their supplier is) will continue to get better. It is still A WHOLE LOT better than some of the JJ crap I've installed in the past. Just a few issues to work out with the B pillar area on both quarters, I've got the entire rear of the car taken apart fitting the deck lid, and prepping for a bunch of welding and grinding.

I had the same problem with both my Q panels, Just finish the pass. side today. Large gap on the top tight on the bottom. Did you get it fixed? I tack welded the bottom at the rocker in the rear and then at door. Then I clamp the top of the Q panel just enough so it would not move. Pulled the panel away from the wheel house, and used a porter power in arch of the well. When I had nice gap I then tacked the top. I need a little downward force to get panel on wheel well put in did go on. Both side I had the same issues. I did not use full quarter panels.

I have tried to correct the funky gap at the front of the quarter, but with full pannels, twisting it up messes up a bunch of the other parts, like the rear glass fitment, and the quarter to tail light pannel. My door can be adjusted down, there is a gap at the bottom, (the factory quarter was 1/4" higher) so once I put it all back on, I will adjust it and see if it is any better. If not, I'll cut it and make it fit, that is no big deal, except cutting on a new quarter. Like I've said before, I've made worse work.

I have been finishing up all the little brackets, and getting ready for all of this to be one big assyembly. I made the reinforcement strip for the drivers side, removed the old "strap" from my old inner wheel house, and got it all nice and fried together. I need to get the rest of my welds ground down, and all the unseen surfaces prepped for some epoxy primer. I guess I will have to take the driver's side quarter off and on a couple more times, but the pass. side is fixin' to get drilled, and put back on for hopefully the last time, we'll see...

:punk:

Its getting there that is the most fun haha!. I cant begin to count how many times I have had the quarter skins on & off the car to get all the body lines to line up correctly.

The right side quarter is on for the final time, all nice and prepped for welding. At least this side went back together without any problems. I had the priviledge of showing my step son how to TIG weld this afternoon. He has never shown any intrest in this before, kinda likes the XBOX more than anything. I am impressed with his progress, he was using filler rod and running beads on some mild steel in less than 2 hours. Took me months to learn what he did in an afternoon. Hopefully he will stick with it.

Going to get the left side quarter prepped and do some more fitting before I light it all up. Lots more drilling, yea.......

Had to take advantage of the 30% off sale on sheet metal @ CJ Pony Parts the other day, went ahead and got the convertable inner rockers, tourque boxes, and all related parts to do a little beef up on the chassis. All most all of it showed up yesterday, as in 2 days from the time I ordered it. The one piece seat riser, and the center plate for the bottom reinforcement got back ordered, may be a week or so on those, but I still got to complete the rear before I start the floor and such, but it ended up saving me over $70.00, guess it pays to watch for sales!

Hello Latoracing, if you still have the original seat risers measure the height where the seats bolts too. I had installed the one piece in my 70 vert and after putting the seat in noticed that i only had 2 inches between the steering wheel and seat. I have since put the individual seat risers in and have way more room between the steering wheel and seat.my car originally had the individual seat risers, it was quite the conversation with the local mustang shop but after emailing them 20 or so convertible pics with single seat risers they admitted they may not know everything...lol

Hello Latoracing, if you still have the original seat risers measure the height where the seats bolts too. I had installed the one piece in my 70 vert and after putting the seat in noticed that i only had 2 inches between the steering wheel and seat. I have since put the individual seat risers in and have way more room between the steering wheel and seat.my car originally had the individual seat risers, it was quite the conversation with the local mustang shop but after emailing them 20 or so convertible pics with single seat risers they admitted they may not know everything...lol

I noticed that about '69/'70 'verts back when I worked at a restoration shop in Utah. When I was looking for these parts, the Dynacorn one piece seat riser seemed to be the ticket, but will have to be modified for the inner rockers. I have ended up with two sets of single style risers, so I'll have lots of parts to measure from. I am going with some aftermarket seats so I know I'll end up modifying the seat tracks, as well as the riser. Thanks for the heads up though...

Feel like I am in slow motion. Put the driver's side quarter back on, and off, and back on today (it was a NICE 68 deg. outside) Got it to where it will have to live, one more round of off and on, and it should be on the car for good. I have the right side quarter to tail light filler in place, the tail light pannel might be on for the last time as well. There is a bunch more fitting around the trunk lid areas, the gaps are looking decent, though they will be fixed to hold a 3/16" gap all the way around. I am going to have to cut the front of the driver's side quarter, it just isn't going to fit any better without cutting it, and making the gap at the top of the door shrink a bunch, oh well, such is life with after market parts. I am not shure I would use the one piece trunk/quarter/tail light pannel fillers agean, they suck as far as fitting, they can be made to fit, but it is not easy. The factory style will have a better shape, hopefully than these. I imagine I will be fitting the left side filler the next time I get to go out and play, it is starting to look more like a Mustang, instead of a Ranchero.

I am finally ready for all these parts to become an assyembly. I removed the left quarter for the last time, and did all the prep work this afternoon to the structure underneath. Put it all back together, and messed with the fine adjustments needed in various places. I need to fit the rear valance, but my screws in the tail light pannel are keeping it from fitting up just right. I will go ahead and start the welding on the tail light pannel, so all the screws can be removed. Gona be a bunch of welding going on after work this week, so I'll be quite busy. Been a long time getting to this point, it will be nice when it is all attached.

The sparks started flying this afternoon. The right side quarter is all most done, well 2/3's done. I wasn't in a rush, so I jumped around quite a bit. I don't get to MIG weld much at work, or at home for that matter. I usually am using a TIG, which I prefer. It was nice to play with some sheet metal for a wile. I still like welding up side down though, it was one thing I strugled with, but once I got the hang of it, many moons ago, I enjoy it. I'll keep it lit up as much as I can, there is a BUNCH of rosette welds to do, it'll get there...

Little here, little there, still welding. The left side had some attention today, along with the completion of the rear window area and the roof to quarter seams. The rear glass to trunk filler pannel is all nice and cooked into place. And yes I am welding all the seams, I'll go back and grind nice neat seams in once all the welding is done. I will be grinding for a month on the back of this car.

More welding to come...

:gun_bandana:

It's been a tad bit nippley out lately, but I have been filling in all those holes I made in my sheet metal. Not too many left though. I fit the rear valance this afternoon, and got it sorta close to where I want it, but there will be some more work on that later. I worked on the pass. side tail light area, and it is all nice and fried. The left side tail light area is all that is left to weld. I feel like I am moving about as fast as molasses at this time of year. Slow and steady...

:hammer:

Made some progress today. I finished welding all those little holes I made in my new sheet metal, took long enough. I spent a little time messing with the rear valance, and to my surprise, it is fitting quite well. I checked the fit along the way as I was hanging all this stuff, and it actually lined up with out a bunch of fixing. I might take some time off of construction, and go back to deconstruction, as in removing the rest of my floor. I am tired of the rear of this car. I can allways come back to the grinding portion later, and I can be closer to fixing my ugly driver's side door gap.

:clap:

Installed the trunk catch bracket on the tail light pannel this afternoon, and prepped my bumper brackets for install, once they dry. Did a little house cleaning, and broke out the cut off wheel. Four cuts and the tunnel portion of the floor pan was on the ground. That makes it easier to work on, sitting in my rolling around chair. Started unspot welding, and looking into the history of this old rust bucket. The factory worker on the driver's side must have been a newbe, there was only 7 spot welds, and several holes where they were attempting to put the rear tourque box area together. I have had more issues with the driver's side of the car than the pass. side. Wonder why. The old floor pan to rocker pannel looked like it had a jack stand ran through it, but it still had all the factory paint and seam sealer, DUHH... it will be OK, all of the old is gone, time for some new.

Spent the day drilling out spot welds, and general rust removal. Found a couple of cracks I need to fix in my sail pannel, and I need to make some more patches. I was a little worried about the condition of my driver's side rear torque box top, so I removed it. Glad I did, it was all most rusted through. That was "fun" to get off, they didn't want that to ever come apart. The new top kinda upset me. It is all most a 1/2" short as compaired to the one I removed. It is going to catch most of the frame rail lip, since the factory one did hang over a little. It will work though.

I removed the rest of my tunnel over the trans. mount area. I searched several threads to see about any mods that people do to this area to install TKO trans. It would be a perfect time to do any mods for the up comming trans upgrade, just have to decide on 5 or 6 speed.

Going to start mocking up the floor pan to make shure all of this will go into this car. I unpacked my new inner rockers for their modifications. I have been looking foward to this so stay tuned, MODS are a commin'

Welded the lid back on my torque box, then solid welded everything I could on the top side of it, to the rocker, and frame rail.

Rember way back when I made the lower section for my sail pannel? I trimmed it up and installed it while I was in weld mode. Now I need to fix the holes in various places, then a little grinding, and all will be good to go.

Rocker pannel and frame rail patching next...

:hammer:

Look at what I get to fix next! It was way to nice to be working, so I spent most of the day fishing. When I got home, I did play a little. Finished trimming the pass. side inner rocker (which wasn't much) and was going to check the cut lines that I made on the driver's side, when I noticed something was weird. Got to looking at these parts sitting on top of each other, and the ends were the only thing touching. Took a scrap piece of metal I had and used it for a straight edge, 3/8" to 1/2" bow in the rocker, from the factory. Needless to say, these will not get put into the car untill they are straight. I will cut all the welds that join the 3 or so parts together, and reweld them. The welds look like Ray Charles did them anyway, so these will have some work done to them. Quality parts, NOT!!!