Sign in to follow this  
gt69mach1

69 Mach1 speedometer

I was driveing the mach the other day and I looked down at the speedo and I watched it go from 50 to bottomed out and started going around again. WTH. Any Ideas or simiar problems like this? Speedo take a crap or cable?? Any thoughts? Anybody rebuild them or can I do it myself? Thanks in advance!!

:helpsmilie::helpsmilie::thumbup1:

check to make sure it is clipped into the back of the speedometer. it may have worked its way out if the clip is broken. check to see if it is still correctly attached to the tranny.

you can reuse the old cable.

take the cable off of the car and remove the inner steel cable from the housing, check to see if it is broken. if it is still in good condition grease it up and put it back in the cleaned up housing. the inner cable just pulls out from the tranny(i think) end.

use the old cable and housing if you can. the original housing is a flexible solid metal coil with a covering. the after market cable housing is just a plastic.

if the original speedo retaining clip is broken, you can buy an aftermarket cable, remove the retaining clip and put it on the old cable.

:thumbup:

check to make sure it is clipped into the back of the speedometer. it may have worked its way out if the clip is broken. check to see if it is still correctly attached to the tranny.

you can reuse the old cable.

take the cable off of the car and remove the inner steel cable from the housing, check to see if it is broken. if it is still in good condition grease it up and put it back in the cleaned up housing. the inner cable just pulls out from the tranny(i think) end.

use the old cable and housing if you can. the original housing is a flexible solid metal coil with a covering. the after market cable housing is just a plastic.

if the original speedo retaining clip is broken, you can buy an aftermarket cable, remove the retaining clip and put it on the old cable.

Thanks for the info..I will check that out, I know it is in the tranny correctly I just check that yesterday, but I have not check behind the speedo yet..