Sign in to follow this  
69gmachine

Adding USB port

I'm installing a modern DIN style radio under the front of the console. It uses a remote so I don't need to see or touch it to use it. Power will be routed from an OEM radio that has been gutted so that it only passes power thru to the hidden radio. It has a USB port on the front and I bought an amphenol USB APSCC2205A connector with a half meter cord length. It looks like this excpet with a longer cord:

USBAPSCC2205A.jpgLarger Image

My plan was to install it in the console but I'm having second thoughts about drilling into my pristine factory red console upper insert. However, the hole would not be visible if I replaced the upper trim insert with the wood grain installed.

If I had bought the one with the longer 1 meter cord I could mount it in place of the cigarette lighter. However, I don't carry a spare and instead rely on a portable air compressor that plugs into the lighter, so I don't really want to give it up. Another possibility is to get the Shelby reproduction insert and drill a hole in that in place of one of the existing switch holes, but they're over $400. I already have the gauges and wiring and even an NOS ash tray for it. Some day I plan to get it, but it's not on the critical path to getting it back on the road, and not being able to drive has been killing me.

So my options are,

1)buy the one with the longer cord and eat the cost of this one (about $30 with shipping),

2)go ahead and drill on my red console insert (and cover it up if I decide to return to stock)

3) Save my pennies and go for the Shelby insert.

What would you do in this situation?

OK, that's a much easier idea to execute. I could do that as an interim solution and take my time deciding if I want to try to modify the Shelby console. If it's easy enough to access, then I could just leave it like that. Yeah, thanks!

If your only use for the cigarette lighter is the occasional use of an emergency air compressor and I would imagine the USB port would be used quite often then I say install in place of the lighter since it would look pretty trick there and then install an auxillary power port in your trunk instead where it is probably better suited anyway or hide it in your glove box if you feel the need to keep it centrally located and like having the power option in the cabin.

Hmmm, it would look pretty slick there. The only time I ever used the power socket was to power up a CB radio for the MAA tour, but with a cell phone there really isn't much need for a CB. I don't plan to ever re-install the CB so the 12V outlet is just taking up space right now. I also like the idea of the USB port being centrally located so a passenger could tap into it just as easily as I could.

I would mount it in the glove box.

If you decided to use the cigarette lighter I would just get an adapter for the air pump that went from battery terminal clamps to a cigarette socket.

You probably use the cigarette lighter to charge your cell phone too. Would the radioUSB adapter charge your phone?

Please post a picture of your radio installation. I want a stock radio look with OEM radio in the dash and a hidden remote controlled radio. I'm also interested in how you wired the power switch. Did you use a relay?

I took the top cover off of a factory radio (mid 80's AM/FM) and soldered a wire to the back of the ON/OFF volume switch so that it remains functional. The power wire then routes out the back of the dummy radio and under the front of the console to the new radio. There isn't really much of an "installation" as it just rests on the carpet under the console. I haven't decided how I'm going to fasten it down to the hump yet. I'll probably just make a bracket to clamp it down in the middle.

I would mount it in the glove box.

I can't reach the glove box from the driver's seat, so that wont' work.

If you decided to use the cigarette lighter I would just get an adapter for the air pump that went from battery terminal clamps to a cigarette socket.
If I can find one already made then that might be the best option. Otherwise I can re-use the cigarette socket and mount it in the trunk as Pakrat suggested and fab something up to connect to the battery which is also in the trunk. I'm not familiar with an off the shelf adapter like that, but I'll google it.

You probably use the cigarette lighter to charge your cell phone too. Would the radioUSB adapter charge your phone?
yes, it will be able to power the cell phone and play songs from it at the same time.

You can make the adapter I'm talking about with two alligator clips, an old cigarette lighter socket, a piece of wire, some solder and shrink tubing.

Well yeah, I suppose I could! When I was a teenager growing up in Texas we used to rig up/fix all sorts of stuff with bailing wire... that's just what came to mind when I first read your post lol.

I'd like to make it a little discreet and not too home-made looking, but I get the idea; it doesn't have to be fancy.

If you have a factory console and dont need the front ash tray . Mount it up in there someway might work. At least you will be able to get to it. And cover it up with the lid.

I have the "Shelby" gauge pod in place of the ash tray.

Here's a picture of the USB port just sitting in the cigarette lighter hole for a mock up. The good news is that the diameter is almost a perfect fit, the not so good news is that the compound angle of the chrome mount is going to make it hard to mount flush enough to look good. I'll try a little grinding around the edges to make it sit back a little better.

15786714_large.jpg

The short length of the cable turned out to be easily resolved. It just pops into the backshell with a removable plug. I popped it out and plan to replaced it with a 2 foot cable. The female end of the 2' cable just needs to be trimmed down a little to fit.

Below are pictures of the JVX radio sitting under the front of the console just to get an idea of how they fit together.

15786720_large.jpg15786721_large.jpg

Well this project turned out to be harder than I thought. I made a decision on the location of the USB port, and it came out very well. I milled down the divider between the seat belt holders and fabricated a sheet metal plate that fit just inside. I only modified repop parts, not my 40+ red console, so I didn't mind.

After I epoxied it in place with JB weld, I painted it with black krinkle finish paint to give it some texture. It's not identical to the simulated vinyl, but it's close enough.

15793165_large.jpg

So now my problem is the remote. It's IR, not RF, so it has to have line of sight to work. So I have 2 options: remove the IR sensor from the brand new radio and mount it somewhere I can aim at it (perhaps inside a dummy radio?) or hook up the steering wheel controls and mount them somewhere I can reach them (although not on the steering wheel). I wonder how hard it will be to create the steering wheel inputs? I would think it's just a bunch of switches right?

I'm installing a modern DIN style radio under the front of the console. It uses a remote so I don't need to see or touch it to use it. Power will be routed from an OEM radio that has been gutted so that it only passes power thru to the hidden radio. It has a USB port on the front and I bought an amphenol USB APSCC2205A connector with a half meter cord length. It looks like this excpet with a longer cord:

USBAPSCC2205A.jpgLarger Image

My plan was to install it in the console but I'm having second thoughts about drilling into my pristine factory red console upper insert. However, the hole would not be visible if I replaced the upper trim insert with the wood grain installed.

If I had bought the one with the longer 1 meter cord I could mount it in place of the cigarette lighter. However, I don't carry a spare and instead rely on a portable air compressor that plugs into the lighter, so I don't really want to give it up. Another possibility is to get the Shelby reproduction insert and drill a hole in that in place of one of the existing switch holes, but they're over $400. I already have the gauges and wiring and even an NOS ash tray for it. Some day I plan to get it, but it's not on the critical path to getting it back on the road, and not being able to drive has been killing me.

So my options are,

1)buy the one with the longer cord and eat the cost of this one (about $30 with shipping),

2)go ahead and drill on my red console insert (and cover it up if I decide to return to stock)

3) Save my pennies and go for the Shelby insert.

What would you do in this situation?

You add your USB port that you can get some help of it and hope you will enjoy and your cigarette lighter will work properly. its not so hard so do it.

Get a Retro sound head unit and then you can mount the USB in the console box. All controlled by the head unit. Looks stock and works real well. Custom auto sound is crap. Retro sound is for real and works real well. Have installed in 3 cars now and is awesome.

I know it is away from your idea, but it is great.

http://www.retrosoundusa.com/products/category/id/9