Sign in to follow this  
Boss302

69 302 c4 tranny problem

so, i dont race it, but recently ive been driving it on the highway, speeds of 55mph-70mph- sometimes, i would pass a bus, so i would floor it but give it more gas, it would shift into a lower gear and give more HP.

temp,pressure all good after getting home,parking it.

today, i was a traffic light, after sitting in traffic, it turned green, and i gave it gas, but didnt floor it,30 seconds, i hear this POP or metal pop sound.

DRIVE gave out, i was just coasting..no smoke..fire..etc, just no momentum.

pulled to the side, shifted it to neutral...that was ok...

low gear,1 and 2, they didnt go either..

so then i tried REVERSE, that went, no issues there.

put it in park, then drive, did this a couple times, nothing

looked underneath, no leaks...fluids, draftshaft was intact...the output seal looked good.

im thinking its the forward clutch, im not to familiar with them, but what ive googled,asked a friend, seems to be that.

Now..

the car was sitting in the garage for a couple years before i got it, changed the fluids after i got and all...ran perfect.

but this just happened, so...

my question is..

can i just have some check to see if it is the forward clutch, fix it..just that. or because of the damage, i should just have them rebuild it?

i dont kow when it was last touched...im assuming since its 40yrs old, it must of had a rebuild on it...and some point and time.

im just trying to see if i can get away just replacing the forward clutch parts...or im better off having them rebuild it like new.

i just dropped $6500 on my 69 camero rss/ss with Fuel inijection and the ignition system kit $2500 its a restomod 550hp.

but i want to get the mustang up and running again...but dont want to just replace the part if later, the other parts cause it break down again..

or just wait and get the tranny rebuilt

i got quoted, $1100-$1400 for the tranny rebuilt.

any suggestions or ideas...

thanks

Consider putting in a AOD tranny. It is a very common and desirable change. You can get them cheap, and the total cost will be half of what you might spend to rebuild yours. Mine cost a total of about $400, and I put it in myself.