Sign in to follow this  
cavboy78

rhs heads make some power

Folks,

I had trouble finding some actual dyno results for engines using the RHS heads and just wanted to post up the results from my recent build. As you can see, the RHS 200 heads made some pretty damn good power. The dyno was on a superflow 901 and the numbers are corrected for sea level.

Ambient temp was 89 degrees. The dotted curve was the first pull. There were a couple pulls in between working on timing and with a 1" carb spacer (which yielded no add'l power). The second curves was the 4th and final pull. In case the image doesn't work, about 430/430 fwhp and pulled strong all the way to 6000.

Build:

351w (357w) F4TE roller block from a Ford Lightning

RHS 200 aluminum heads

Comp Cams XE274HR-12; specs on website

http://www.summitracing.com/parts/CCA-35-518-8/

Holley 650dp w/ mechanical advance and manual choke

RPM Air-Gap Intake

hyper pistons

stock crank/rods

arp throughout

Moroso oil pan

MSD Ready to Run dist

1.6 rr's

~10.5 comp

By the way, the heads were purchased bare and built using comp hardware. Thanks for all the help on the forum guys!

Matt

Edited by cavboy78

That's a well thought-out motor and some great streetable power. Nothing crazy with the cam so you should have nice vacuum for the brakes too.

Did you find your best power with timing around 32 degrees? Often efficient cylinder heads don't require as much timing as the old 36-38 BTDC rule of thumb.

Yes. I had the girlfriend take pics/videotape of the runs so I can see the A/F ratio, oil pressure, temps, pressure, etc... The guy's printer was down at the time but he saved the files for me and will give me the prints this coming week. The pics/videos are for my own edification and "just in case"...

Yes. I had the girlfriend take pics/videotape of the runs so I can see the A/F ratio, oil pressure, temps, pressure, etc... The guy's printer was down at the time but he saved the files for me and will give me the prints this coming week. The pics/videos are for my own edification and "just in case"...

fantastic. when you get the printouts, post a few when you get the chance.

thanks!

actually I live on the east side of Colorado springs which is at 6600 feet. the dyno shop is over here as well. It definitely kills the power. I always feel like my car hauls a$$ when I head back east!

actually I live on the east side of Colorado springs which is at 6600 feet. the dyno shop is over here as well. It definitely kills the power. I always feel like my car hauls a$$ when I head back east!

that definately explains it looking at your actuals. i feel bad for you guys running at higher altitudes. appears your car would feel like it was hit with a 120 shot of nitrous if you drove your car here in ohio on a cool evening!

Klevor,

It's the same timing as a 302 ho.

Pyetime,

Yes it is. Angelo told me about a 347 he just dyno'd last week. I asked him the setup on yours but forgot what what it was. I'm a big fan of geddes machine if anyone else is in the co area looking for a builder. My mustang is an upstate ny stang as well. Bought it years back in Syracuse.

Yeah Angelo was great to work with! He held true to his quote and I got exactly what I was looking for as far as performance. I wonder what kind of HP you'll pick up back East? My Uncle has a 03 Mach 1 and I could not believe the stones that thing had at sea level and that's only 305 horse. You're gonna enjoy that 357! I dont remember alot about the internals of mine but I have RHS heads like you a Edelbrock intake, flat cam and a Holley 650 carb. Have you dropped your motor in yet?

I haven't dropped it in yet. I have a few projects that will all be happening at the same time so it will prob be a couple of weeks. When I do, I might have to cruise on down!

Sounds good! This is my first go around with dropping a motor in, I hope all goes well. I'm a little frustrated already and that's sad. I went to start bolting the alternator and power steering back on and the RHS heads don't accept the same size hardware as the original heads did. Off to do some research I guess!

Pyetime,

Did you fix your problem? I am having the same issue with my heads too as they are threaded for 5/8" but everything else wants to use 7/16" to include my billet alt bracket and the alt itself. I am hesitant to drill out my new bracket and the alt to accept 5/8”. I am going to drill out my P/S Borgeson bracket to accept 5/8" so I should have no issues on that end. I am thinking about putting in a threaded insert into the one head that will change the threads to 7/16". I am not sure if this will work though…Thoughts anyone?

Glad to know that worked! I was about to order the same thing from McMaster Carr online last night. I guess I didn't use the magic "thermactor plug" search criteria while I was on Summit. Thanks for the heads up!

You bet, glad I could help! I'm hoping my new engine cover (spacer) comes in today so I can get the flywheel and clutch bolted up. I'd like to be driving this thing before August. When are you headed back to NY?

Engine ended up with 34 degrees. By the way, I'm moving to Watertown, ny in a couple of months and I saw you're over by buffalo. My folks are in Rochester now.

I go to Watertown all the time!!! Beautiful area, youll love it there.