Sign in to follow this  
purple69

How cool is to cool

Just replaced my old radiator with a new aluminum one.

My 302 with automatic trans was running 230-250 before the radiator

swap. NOT GOOD!!! Now it runs between the T and E in temp on the gauge. My other gauge (mechanical) reads just off the peg at 135*

Is that to cool?

Just replaced my old radiator with a new aluminum one.

My 302 with automatic trans was running 230-250 before the radiator

swap. NOT GOOD!!! Now it runs between the T and E in temp on the gauge. My other gauge (mechanical) reads just off the peg at 135*

Is that to cool?

I don't know but maybe not , because they sell tranny coolers so what does that say.

Thanks Mach1rider,

It's a fail open one it may be stuck open.

Thats my guess. You can save yourself some time and start the car up (cold motor) with the radiator cap off. If you see significant flow in the radiator immediately with a cold engine, you know the thermostat is stuck open. If there is no flow, either let it idle to raise the temp enough to get it to open or have someone rev the motor in park/neutral to get temps up quicker. Look at the mechanical temp gauge once you see the flow to start and you'll know when its opening, assuming its not stuck open.

Where is the temperature probe at for the mech gauge?

And yes that temperature is way too cool for an engine. The higher the oil temps the less wear on the components of the motor. You'll burn through bearings and rings much quicker with a cool engine compared to one with a higher operating temperature. Of course there are adverse effects of high temps, but I'm keeping the discussion simplistic to engine wear due to low temps.

Thanks buening,

The probe is in the intake between the carb and the distributor. The stock gauge sending unit is in front of thermostat. There is coolant flow in the radiator when cold.

So i am on my way back to the auto parts store to get a new thermostat.

Is a 160 deg good or should i go with a 190 deg one?

You should go with a 180 or 190 degree thermostat. If the engine has performance mods and a high flow water pump, make sure you have a high flow thermostat also. You can check to see if the thermostat opens at the proper temperature by putting it in a pan on the stove with a thermometer. As the temperature warms up, watch the thermometer to see what temperature the thermostat opens. I've had the best luck with Robertshaw, EMP/Stewart, Milodon, and Mr. Gasket in that order.

Edited by jholmes217

my 69 grande 302 2bbl bored 60/, is factory, running at the "E" on TEMP, or 160 with the mechanical one, thats driving...crusing..etc. some what average.

if i sit in hot weather, traffic light..waiting...gawd...it gets to 180 -

still average. doesnt OH, or cause problems. ill be on the highway going 60mph, until some idiot pulls near me and wants to test me, then i floor to about 90mph, hahaha, still running good, at 160 temp, though the tires have a bubble iin them, so it vibrates over 50mph

Can you post a pic of your intake? I was trying to think of a place to put the sending unit between the carb & distibutor but couldn't think of one.

Some intakes have an addition port in the back coolant passage for a sending unit or meachanical guage. I know the Weiand 8011 Action Plus for the 289/302 has that, but the Edelbrock Performer RPM does not. Not sure about the original Ford 2V intake. I'd have to check the one on the shelf after work.

installed new 185deg thermostat today. It run at about 180-185 deg idling or in traffic. So after new water pump, 2 new thermostsats and a new radiator all is good with the cooling system. Now the fun starts with the carb.

Thanks for the help everone.:thumbup: