Sign in to follow this  
latoracing

2005-09 tail lights in a 1970 FB

I have built a few cars in my time, and I am a die hard Mustang person. Has anyone came across putting 05-09 tail lights in a 70 Mustang? Ive-ave not seen or heard of this. So I suppose I might have to be the one who tries this. Some one has done this I'm shure.

Anyway, there isn't that much that needs to be done to the car in order to do this. I have the new buckets comming out of a junk yard as the OEM pcs are around $600 from Ford. (ouch!!!) The lights themselves need a little trimming to flush mount, but other than that, should be alot of fun. Modifying the quarter extensions will be fun, welding pot metal should be an Olympic sport.

Let me know what you think and once I get started, I will post alot of pics and hopefully some how to, and not how to.

:punk:

That looks unfinished. I had invisioned making them fit the car a little better, and have the rear bumper actually flow with the lights. These need to be up a little higher. Guess it is all opinions. At least this car is running, I'm still collecting parts and dreaming stage.

That looks unfinished. I had invisioned making them fit the car a little better, and have the rear bumper actually flow with the lights. These need to be up a little higher. Guess it is all opinions. At least this car is running, I'm still collecting parts and dreaming stage.

The taper to the lower inboard corner of the taillights makes it tough to blend with the quarter extensions and the bumper. In the pic above the lights are oriented so the divided segments are vertical. Maybe orienting the lights with the bottom parallel with the bumper and the qtr extensions modified to match the taillight outline would look better.

Scratch building both the bumper and the quarter extinsions will be the hard way of doing it, but it will produce something that will work. Adding to the factory extensions is possible, and probably easier. Might have to do some 3d pics in order to get this just right

I can't say I care for how it looks in that picture at all but having done glass work on my car to mate up the shelby trunk lid and end caps to my stock tail panel I think using those as a start and then doing your own custom overlay tail panel might make things just a tad easier in the end.

I bought a new tail light pannel and plan on fitting these to it without an insert. I have to replace the entire rear of the car, well I don't have to, I am going to. I bought some Dynacorn pannels to play with, which look very nice. The car is allready cut up, as in someone started rust repair and quit. Modifying at this point is a given. The only down side to that, it is a real regestered Graber Special, sorta rare, but not R code rare. Any way, if it doesn't turn out nice, I'll get a new tail light pannel and put the stock lights in it. It is just metal.