Sign in to follow this  
amochoru

fender nut in rocker panel question

I am having a hard time understanding exactly how the nut that is used to hold the bottom of the fender to the rocker panel is supposed to be mounted to the rocker panel. When I bought the car both nuts were already gone and the bottom of the fenders were swinging free. I have two new nuts from AMK and I can see the rectangular hole in the rocker panel where the nut goes but I can't figure out how it is supposed to be mounted. I've included pictures of what the nut looks like. Does anyone have a picture of how it goes together?

back.jpg

front.jpg

No photo here but the surrounding area may be mangled up, that wont help. You have to get it in at an angle, I use a long bolt as a handle. It basically seats by gravity only until the bolt is torquing on it. Once its started very carefully pull down on the fender to keep it seated while tightening. I must admit I got pissed and welded a passenger side one in once.

It is a very frustrating thing and a pretty poor design if you ask me. I'll wager the average car has several of these rattling around in the rockers, at least one for every time the fenders were removed. It's the equivilent of using a butterfly or toggle nut in your wall, works fine until you remove the bolt, then it's just about lost for good.

I know that I am a little late but I was crawling up under my car today and remembered this post. I snapped a quick picture of the nut on the drivers side. Thought it might help but I see where you have already welded it. Oh well, I guess I was a little late haha.

It is a very frustrating thing and a pretty poor design if you ask me. I'll wager the average car has several of these rattling around in the rockers, at least one for every time the fenders were removed. It's the equivilent of using a butterfly or toggle nut in your wall, works fine until you remove the bolt, then it's just about lost for good.

Poor design is not the word for this set up , but I just read an article on this very thing in auto restorer mag , not how to install them but how to not break one off when removing the fender . Which is exactly what i did the other day , my fender was loose there and I tryed to tighten the bolt andf sure enough it broke off , not more unexpected work .