Sign in to follow this  
Daves69Coupe

Starting questions

So my fuel pumps working and getting gas to carb but Im just getting a backfire through carb and out exhaust when starting. Is the problem now not a strong enough spark? I also dont have the electric choke wired up, so all 4 barrels arent opening. Is this a possible problem?

The spark plugs not spaced properly?

Dizzy not curved right?

are your wires correct? correct firing order?

just throwing out ideas beyond adjusting the initial.

what was the problem with your fuel system?

havent figured out why Im not getting enough fuel from tank.

Pumping gas from gas can through pump and up to carb.

im assuming a small block. here is the order for my 351w = 13726548, plugs at 0.034. distributor spins counter clockwise. ensure its on compression stroke tdc. im pretty sure there are only (2) different firing orders for the small blocks.

im assuming a small block. here is the order for my 351w = 13726548, plugs at 0.034. distributor spins counter clockwise. ensure its on compression stroke tdc. im pretty sure there are only (2) different firing orders for the small blocks.

its a ford 302.

How can I check compression stroke tdc?

Dave, try checking the firing order, & then the timing. Has the engine run since the rebuild?.

the PO ran it after the rebuild. I just took the top heads and intake off the car when I got it to make sure it was actually rebuilt.

I was under the impression I could only time car when running, how can I time it?

its a ford 302.

How can I check compression stroke tdc?

being a 302 block doesn't mean the cam was ground with a 302 firing order.

comp sold me a cam with a cam card clearly indicating a 302 firing order. after a month of scratching my head it turned out to be a 351 firing order.

pull a plug and put your finger on the hole.

you can get the timing somewhat close simply by putting the #1 cylinder at 10-14 degress BTC on the compression stroke and looking at where the rotor is pointing (mark the dizzy base where the #1 plug is). this will at least get you within a tooth.

being a 302 block doesn't mean the cam was ground with a 302 firing order.

comp sold me a cam with a cam card clearly indicating a 302 firing order. after a month of scratching my head it turned out to be a 351 firing order.

pull a plug and put your finger on the hole.

you can get the timing somewhat close simply by putting the #1 cylinder at 10-14 degress BTC on the compression stroke and looking at where the rotor is pointing (mark the dizzy base where the #1 plug is). this will at least get you within a tooth.

how can I tell when #1 cylinder is at 10-14 degrees BTC?

i'm familar with the earlier engine's where the timing pointer is on the driver's side.

is your water inlet on the driver's side?

do you see timing marks anywhere?

it seems like the original dampers would only show a limited amount of timing marks.

Happened to me once and figured out that I had the distributor out 180 degrees, you might want to try to lift out you're distributor and turn the rotor half a turn then drop it back in. Might work.