Sign in to follow this  
etel64

C4 Shifter linkage Adjustment help

Anyone have any suggestions on making the shifter adjustment? The trans linkage seems to have a spring load to it when pushing it into the park position. Do I push this to its max travel and then tighten the nut?:crying:

Whats the proper way to adjust the neutral safety switch after that would be greatly appreciated.

Loosen the nut on the linkage at the trans. Put the shifter in neutral then put the trans in neutral. Lock down the nut on the linkage.

As far as the neutral safety switch goes, while in neutral loosen the two screws at the switch on the trans. There's a small hole in the switch in which you insert a drillbit...not sure of the size....you may have to rotate the switch to insert the drill bit...while the bit is inserted lining up the switch, tighten up the two screws holding the switch. Then pull out the drillbit..that should work.

John

Thank you for the tips. It seemed to help but I am sort of thinking I need to do a bit more adjustment refining. THe new tranny seems sleepy when shifting it into gears. Rocking the shifter seems to make it change so I am thinking fine tune is the issue.

Your neutral position suggestion was a Doooh moment for me. Thanks.

I apologize for the thread-jack - but since it's on the same topic...

John,

I'm not sure about the OP - but I'd love a little better explanation if it's something you feel you could put down - this is something that I've had a problem with too that the search function didn't turn up what I felt was a clear enough answer. (it's probably out there but maybe I just couldn't find what I was looking for)

I did mine per your steps above - but then my shifter indicators don't quite line up with the proper positions. also - won't start in Park but only in Neutral. I suspect that's the NS switch adjustment above that I haven't done, but I wanted to get everything to line up properly before I noodled with that.

I suspect part of my problem to be an improper installation where the rod connects to the shifter itself, or the position of the shifter itself - the PO had an interesting conglomeration of nuts and bailing wire - I don't suppose you have a picture of the proper parts in order do you? I think I found a set in one of the catalogs but haven't gotten to that yet..

is there a proper adjustment/angle for the shifter arm in relation to the transmission linkage to get everything dialed in correctly?

it's been a mild annoyance since I bought the car but the list of other things to attend to has always kept this one on a back burner

Thanks John.

Please do describe the "synchronize". This most likely is my issue. (along with the many other issues in my head):drool:

Hello etel64....by 'dooh moment' do you mean that you couldn't synchronize the neutral positions of the shifter and trans.?

I'm willing to try to explain it further for you....John

Anyone have any suggestions on making the shifter adjustment? The trans linkage seems to have a spring load to it when pushing it into the park position. Do I push this to its max travel and then tighten the nut?:crying:

Whats the proper way to adjust the neutral safety switch after that would be greatly appreciated.

Loosen the lock nut on the shift rod, Place the shifter in P

Check the trans lever is all the way to the rear and tighten nut.

For the neut switch, place the shifter in R, key in on position.

Loosen the 2 screws on the switch and adjust till the rev lights come on and tighten the screws.

This will be correct 9 out of 10 times. the 1 time it does not work you have other problems that need be addressed.

Try what Mach1Rider says and see if it works for you. I've always used the drill bit through the hole in the neutral safety switch but see if his recommendation regarding the key on-reverse light works for you...regards...John