Sign in to follow this  
gnatsum

360 Ford V8 & C6 in a Mach 1?

I have a project car 69 Mach 1 S code with no engine. I have a 351W with no tranny and a 360 with a C6. All things being equal, which engine should I use for least cost. I have a very modest budget and I just want to get it running. Thanks!

I am also restoring a 69 S Code and assure you it is not as budget friendly as putting a solid windsor together. Depending on what accessories, mounts, etc you still need to locate you will be competing with the CJ crowd a fair bit. Start collecting the correct 390 parts on the side as deals come along. You will also likely get more power from a stock 351 and performance parts are easier to come by.

I think you will be happier with the 351. The 360 has very low compression & will not have much in the performance department. 351 parts are cheaper also.

Does the car still have the correct transmission and mounts for the 390? If it does,

I like the FE engines. If I were in your shoes with a tight budget, I'd sell both engines and use the money to try and find a date correct 390 in good shape. 390's aren't hard to find.

However, if the car was already switched to a small block in the past and is all the big block stuff is missing, then you are probably better off for the short term going with the 351. I would still find a date correct 390 for the car when money allowed as that car is worth more with a correct big block engine if you decide to sell later down the road.

I have this 69 Mach S code, but the engine is long gone. Assuming I use a 351W, what is the best tranny to use? It was originally a 4 speed stick but the last owner had an auto installed, and the shifter is still there. I don't have a preference either manual or auto, just want to get this thing on the road for little cost due to my minimal budget.

If want to keep the 351w you will need a front sump oil pan and corresponding oil pickup screen. As far as transmissions go the sky's the limit. You can get just about anything for the small block Ford bell housing pattern. Bruce