Sign in to follow this  
Psychbiker

Steering Box Removal With Hookers Headers? Bogeson Fitting?

I have hooker super comp headers in my 69 Mach1. The steering box needs replacing/rebuilding or something new.

Has anyone removed the steering box with the engine in and headers?

I want to add the Borgeson setup but not sure if there will be room in there.

Thanks

Rc

I'm helping a family friend change a steering box on a 1973 Dodge Dart, with Headman long tube headers. I had to drop the header loose, to enable me to squeeze the steering box out. NOT a fun job.

I wouldn't be the least bit surprised if you will have to do the same thing. Ooooh, the joys of headers!

In the Borgeson instructions they don't reccomend long tube headers, I'm thinking because of the size difference in the steering box. My engine was out and I have Patriot shorty style headers, so no experience with the long tubes =( Sorry

So I have to remove the headers just to remove the steering box too??

Thats not gonna fly having to remove the headers. Of course I got the Edelbrock heads and have 4 FREAKING bolts per tube....yeah 32 headers bolts. Had to file down a 3/8 wrench to get to some of them and jack the engine up on either side.

Would a Rack system be easier to install?

Probably would be easier to pull the Master Cylinder. I didn't have the longtubes when I swapped to the boregeson, but I was in the middle of a disc brake swap when I did mine. Made a *world of difference* without the MC and booster in the way.

Hey....if you haven't changed your brake fluid in a number of years, you may as well remove a couple of bolts and brake lines to save yourself a boat load of time and scraped knuckles...

And don't believe the Saginaw hype. I used my standard pump and it works just fine. Don't get me wrong, I attempted to modify a bracket to allow the saginaw to fit my Cleveland. I was successful, *but* my Vintage Air A/C would not allow it. My wife is not hearing, "honey, I took out the $1000 A/C so I can have a Saginaw"....

Return to center isn't as fast as on my wife's Acura TL, but hey...it's a 40 year old car with a modified suspension. I'll try to post a video or something.