Sign in to follow this  
JayEstes

Firewall Primer?

I'm at the point of being ready to go back with paint in the engine compartment on the firewall. I've got it nice and stripped down. Was about to prime it, and I wondered... I've got the 500deg engine enamel for the paint, but what about the primer? I don't know if it can take the same heat, and I REALLY don't want to have the primer melt off under good paint.

I don't really even know if that could happen, but thought I would ask.

Perhaps using the enamel right on the stripped firewall without primer is a good approach? Anyone have any opinions/experience on this?

Thx in advance, Jay

I'm at the point of being ready to go back with paint in the engine compartment on the firewall. I've got it nice and stripped down. Was about to prime it, and I wondered... I've got the 500deg engine enamel for the paint, but what about the primer? I don't know if it can take the same heat, and I REALLY don't want to have the primer melt off under good paint.

I don't really even know if that could happen, but thought I would ask.

Perhaps using the enamel right on the stripped firewall without primer is a good approach? Anyone have any opinions/experience on this?

Thx in advance, Jay

I went down to the bare metal and then used a marine epoxy primer. I wasn't that worried about heat as I was about rust. In fact, I used this epoxy primer on the entire car. I painted the underside of the new floor pan with it, then paint, then undercoated it.

enginebayprimed.jpg

underhoodenginebayprimed-1.jpg

and then a flat black

enginecompartfrontview.jpg

enginecompartmentpassside.jpg

Thanks for the inspiration. Mine won't look as good but I'm going to try my best with the engine in the car. I'll remove all the wiring harnesses I can and the solenoid and voltage regulator from the wall.

I already removed the Battery tray.

For the engine compartment and firewall I would an automotive exterior paint and primer/sealer such as epoxy like BigDuke6 suggested. There are also acrylic enamels, or single or two stage urethanes. I would not us an engine enamel on the firewall. Dpending where you live, laquer paints are also available but they may not be as durable and last as long.