Sign in to follow this  
Machspeed

Mustang Restoration Advice

Friends,

I’m looking for advice as I am in the planning stages of the restoration of my Mustang. After more than twenty five years of storage I am finally in a position where I can do something with it. This will be a full rotisserie restoration and the car will be resto modded with me doing most of the mechanicals. I want a factory looking 69 Mach 1 but with the amenities of modernization such as a five-speed trans, improved braking system, etc. The car was originally a 351, 2v, FMX equipped Mach 1.

To begin things, I need to decide on an engine and trans combination and have been seriously looking at one of the new Ford Crate Engines mated to a T5. The specific engine I’m looking at is M-6007-Z427FFT as seen in the below link. Honestly, it’s a bit more than I really need, but I want it. You know how that goes. Anyway, I am concerned about possible fit up of this engine in my Mustang. The engine is a 351 W type block for which the new Boss 351 is based off of. The head configuration, however, is quite a bit different and as such I have concerns about finding headers. Also, my desire is to add a shaker scoop for which there could be clearance issues. Some of you have far more knowledge than I do in these things and I would really appreciate your input.

Thanks,

John

http://www.fordracingparts.com/parts/part_details.asp?PartKeyField=11831

John,

I know what you mean about building more than you need since my long term plan is to build one of these stroked 351's. I don't know you experience level but wouldn't it be a lot cheaper to find a roller (94 or newer) 351 and build one using a Scat kit? Over 9K and you still have to get intake, distributor, fuel pump and carb. A co-worker is building a Cobra kit and paid ~7K for a roller 351 stroked to 393 and it was built, and dyno'ed. Even after talking to him, I thought he paid too much since I feel I can build one myself.

Just some thoughts,

Jim

I've seen that same engine from other sellers priced in the $8k range so be sure to shop around. There are plenty of places that make headers that will fit. Call Stan at FPA and see if he has one that will work. Super nice guy and really knows his stuff. I just ordered a set for my Boss last week. www.fordpowertrain.com/

Here is an option for repro shaker parts and you could probably mix and match to get the correct height for your application. http://www.fordramair.com/index.html

And come to the Ford Performance and Shelby meet in Tulsa in June. Lots of parts for sale and cars to look at for ideas. www.midamericafordmeet.com/

Brad

Hey Gents, thanks for the input. I'm still in the planning stage so nothing firm yet. That includes the engine. I am however certain that I will be purchasing a crate engine.

Brad, I live in Wagoner, which is just about 25 minutes south east of Tulsa. I make the Mid American Mustang Shelby Meet almost every year and it kills me not to have a car in it. My brother, who lives in Houston brought his 70 Grabber Yellow Boss 302 up a few years back and entered it in the show. That said, I'm generally familiar with most of the cars that attend, but if that is your Boss pictured above, I'm not sure I've seen it. Is the interior blue?

Thanks again for the input. As I get deeper into this, I'll be posting more often.

Regards,

John

John, Yes my Boss does have blue deluxe interior. I just bought it a year and a 1/2 ago. I had it at the Shelby show last year. There was one other '70 there and one '69. (in the non-concours section) I took my '01 Bullitt to Hallett and the drags. It's got '03 Cobra front and rear bumpers and side skirts. Oh, and color changing ghost flames. I've had it out there the last 4 years.

I live in the Tulsa area and have been to Wagoner many times. Sent you a pm with my cell #.

Brad