TexasEd

69 Fastback: First car in 1985 - Bought it back in 2011

Finally got around to getting the strut rods and sway bar in.  Bolted all the steering components together and torqued them as an assembly so I can install it assembled.  Need to rebuild my PS pump.

Life gets in the way

But I got my steering linkage in with help of the neighbor's son who loves working on cars and go carts.

When we were done ha asked what's next. :)

20160326_193256_zps6zpvdded.jpg

Installed the intake manifold but then cracked the Holley electric choke housing on the carb ($30).

Was ready to install the water pump but couldn't find all the bolts for the accessory brackets, just the ones for the alternator.  (another $30 to AMK)

Pulled off the crappy chrome valve covers and everything looks good.  Will install the refurbished originals.

While I wait for those I will work on the fuel lines and tank, the broken headlight and adjustment screws that were missing and a host of other small things.

I've made a lot of progress in the last month.  My neighbor's 13 year old son helped me install the water pump, put the fan back on, install the valve covers, then the distributor.

Today a friend with a 65 came over and helped me sort out the ignition systems, wiring harnesses and we installed the rebuilt carb, new battery, rotor, and dist cap.  When we tried to crank the starter we got nothing.  we tried to bypass the solenoid but still nothing so I pulled the starter and went to get it checked at the auto parts store.  It was good so I bought new starter cable and solenoid.  Both were apparently bad as the cable must have grounded out and the old solenoid did not work with the new cable. 

After installing both it was cranked for the first time in 4+ years.

The plan is to focus on fuel next weekend, tune the carb and set the timing.  After we get it running I'll install the pertronix and flamethrower coil.

20170722_165356_zpsvmoqvcqs.jpg20170722_205114_zpsbbbw9rck.jpg

I replaced the shock tower braces with an export brace today.  Should have done it when I put the new suspension in.

I also did some more electrical wiring and found out that I am missing my manifold vacuum port that comes out of the back of the manifold.  I looked on craigslist for intakes but all of them had pulled the vacuum port already or I could have gotten the port for less than new.  I may try pick a part but I don't have a lot of time when they are open.

In the last two weeks I have put in the power steering lines on and cranked it with some gas in the carb but without the gas tank hooked up yet.  I got some sputtering but was not able to get it running yet.  I'll keep working on it. 

Big update today...

First time it has ran in 6 years.  I need to re-tighten the valve covers since the gaskets were leaking but it ran.

Other progress since last update:

• power steering was leak tested and is tight
  • tested new fuel sender and it is good
  • filled with antifreeze and the water pump and thermostat are good
  • All gauges look good

to do:

• Finish setting timing and idle
  • switch to electronic points and new coil (pertronix and flamethrower)
  • install gas tank
  • fix passenger side low beam light (might replace all the headlight trim rings)
  • re-install grille
  • lower car and tighten suspension components
  • get an alignment
  • Insure, inspect, register and drive.

This week I got the new gas tank installed with new fuel sender, new fuel spout, and new rubber connector hose.  Changed the oil and installed a new fan only to find my old shroud is too small so might have to go backwards to the flex fan again.

Here is an old picture from 2014 when the old tank came out and yesterday with the new tank going back in.  The oldest one is too tall for the trunk now.

20140209_141906_zpsg9ifcxx3.jpg

20171209_144953_zpsujltmgqn.jpg

Dude, what great pictures of the kids in the trunk. That is really priceless.   Also, the first time start video is awesome!.   I am surprised you all did not break out some of that great local Jester King beer to celebrate!

I am actually going to be restoring a 1966 Mustang for my daughter (joint project) who is now in her 30's, because of a picture I took of her on the hood of the 1966 GT I owned when she was a child.   I am sure your children will always remember these times with Dad in the garage with the Mustang.  I will find the picture and post it.

I noted Ridge's comment about the trunk monkeys. That is a very clever reference to what is probably the greatest set of car commercials ever.   I will post a link on the "garage" forum of this site, as I don't want to post that on TexasEd's site.

Oh and even better is the neighbor 15 year old who studies how cars work for fun comes over to help all the time.  He was there for the first start and is a constant motivator to get things done.  He likes old cameros but we won't hold that against him. :)

Another friend with a 65 mustang has also been a huge help.  It's great bonding over combustion engines. 

This week I installed a radiator overflow tank, a headlight relay, the broken headlight, and set the timing and idle.  (See my thread in the technical board about the distributor position.)  This was the first time for me to ever set the timing and idle on a car.

I also have some brake problems to work through.  There is another thread on the tech board.

Another small project was to fix one of the tail light buckets that had stripped out keyhole slots on the top.

My next project is replacing the brakes.  When I set the timing on the engine is when I found out the front brakes were locked up and the rear brakes don't stop.

I bought a CSRP kit for the front conversion to Disc and bought everything to rebuild the rear brakes from Rock Auto.  So many parts.

20180309_1935292_zpscfegmauf.jpg

Now if I can just get the front brakes off.  The shoes seem to be rusted to the drums since the drums won't rotate at all on either side.  I've tried to the release the auto tension bolt  but that is not working.  I'm going to try drilling out the pins tha thold the shoes next.

First weekend progress is all new brakes on all four corners.  Rear drums rebuilt with all new parts and front corners have the drums gone.  Installed are the CSRP 4 caliper disc system with new rotors, bearings, and calipers.

Also got the old master cylinder out.

20180310_141028_zpswt4q6v2z.jpg

20180310_142747_zps4yfuvq3n.jpg

20180311_215213_zpsrcutj8tj.jpg

20180311_184812_zps7klxghq3.jpg

I forgot to include in my update that when I was contorting myself to get under the dash and release the brake plunger rod from the pedal that I could not get the passenger door open.  I heard some parts fall apart inside the door.  Another thing I get to look forward to.  

Still working on this.  I know it's slow but my kids encourage me. 

20180909_153841_zpstxwbyepi.jpg

I had to remove half the lines I had installed in order to get all of them on in a different order but it looks like the next step is to bleed the brakes.