Sign in to follow this  
Boss302

Battery Drain...

whats a good voltage regulator to get..any suggestions?

the current one has no names,numbers..just silver box approx: 2" thick

and 4" wide/tall

it looks old, probably atleast 10yrs...maybe the end of its lifespan

its not a show car, so need to be a special version or all shiny..etc

but if its a few dollars or $10 difference, i wouldnt mind.

....is there a safe way to test the V.Reg.?

whats a good voltage regulator to get..any suggestions?

the current one has no names,numbers..just silver box approx: 2" thick

and 4" wide/tall

it looks old, probably atleast 10yrs...maybe the end of its lifespan

its not a show car, so need to be a special version or all shiny..etc

but if its a few dollars or $10 difference, i wouldnt mind.

....is there a safe way to test the V.Reg.?

If you really are at 17 volts, there is a chance you could blow up your CD player. I would unplug it until you get this figured out.

Also, if you are at 17 volts and been there for a while, you probably fried your battery. That could explain why it is not holding a charge. You have 2 problems; one is the overvoltage when the motor is running, and the other is the discharge while the motor is off.

One thing that can happen often with this sort of problem is a bad ground or other bad wire connections. Remove the ground wire from your battery to engine and clean the connection points with a wire brush real well. Do the same with the wire that connects your engine to the chassis, it is in the back next to the firewall.

I would focus on getting the correct operating voltage, then take your car to any shop and have the battery load tested. This will tell you if the battery is still good.

Regulators are cheap and easy to change, so I would try that after you get connections cleaned. If that does not solve your problem, it is going to be a lot more dificult and we will cross that bridge when we get to it.

If you really are at 17 volts, there is a chance you could blow up your CD player. I would unplug it until you get this figured out.

Also, if you are at 17 volts and been there for a while, you probably fried your battery. That could explain why it is not holding a charge. You have 2 problems; one is the overvoltage when the motor is running, and the other is the discharge while the motor is off.

One thing that can happen often with this sort of problem is a bad ground or other bad wire connections. Remove the ground wire from your battery to engine and clean the connection points with a wire brush real well. Do the same with the wire that connects your engine to the chassis, it is in the back next to the firewall.

I would focus on getting the correct operating voltage, then take your car to any shop and have the battery load tested. This will tell you if the battery is still good.

Regulators are cheap and easy to change, so I would try that after you get connections cleaned. If that does not solve your problem, it is going to be a lot more dificult and we will cross that bridge when we get to it.