Sign in to follow this  
djs69stang

Motor stops-electrical?

There are special crimps needed when assembling plug wires on the boot end of the wire. Not all wire crimpers are created equal, I guess you could say. LOL

Here is a set of plug wire crimpers I own. Notice the wire strip section near the bottom of the tool... 7mm wires, and 8mm wires. This part is used to strip back the spark plug wire coating, and leave the core exposed for crimping. You want about 3/4 of an inch of core exposed, as the exposed end will be looped through a hole in the plug wire's metal socket end... to then be installed (crimped) onto the wire.

2m3fqsl.jpg

Here is the end of the crimper, with the special "W" die for properly crimping plug wire ends.

18m5nr.jpg

I will actually be installing a set of similar wires on a buddy's '66 Shelby in the next couple days. If you want, I can take some pics of the proper way to crimp wires, and post them for you.

Ah, but need and want are 2 different things. Look what I found, bundled together saves $50.00 sold individually. http://www.jegs.com/i/Pertronix/751/BUNDLE006/10002/-1

Let me know if you replace your stock dizzy, I might be interested in it if it's a manual tranny version (two vacuum lines to the vacuum advance can).

Ah, but need and want are 2 different things. Look what I found, bundled together saves $50.00 sold individually. http://www.jegs.com/i/Pertronix/751/BUNDLE006/10002/-1

Let me know if you replace your stock dizzy, I might be interested in it if it's a manual tranny version (two vacuum lines to the vacuum advance can).

May be stupid question, but did you check the battery cables and terminals. Saw you just replaced a bunch of things, repeated connecting and disconnecting the terminals can cause the wires to fray just enough that every thing will run smoothly one second then die the next, especialy with engine vibration. Cheaper to double check then buying new parts.

May be stupid question, but did you check the battery cables and terminals. Saw you just replaced a bunch of things, repeated connecting and disconnecting the terminals can cause the wires to fray just enough that every thing will run smoothly one second then die the next, especialy with engine vibration. Cheaper to double check then buying new parts.

So, an open Saturday finally showed up. Installed the new Pertronix II Distributor, Pertronix coil, and 8mm Pertronix wires. All went well on the install except for one little boo-boo on the distributor that caused a rather loud backfire and the cops showed up because someone said they heard a gun fire! HA! But, I drove over 40 miles last night and it did not DIE! Quit! or otherwise cause any scary feelings. She ran great. Yea!! Back to cruising for the summer.

What gremlins do you speak of? I have installed a Pertronix II with just the 7 volt system. It said in the instructions that it will work fine on 7v but it is better on 12v. Just wondering what will be the problem. I find that I have to leave the key on for about 5 seconds in the morning for it to start properly. And a few other small things I'm not sure I can blame on the pertronix.

I had mine wired up to the resistance wire, and after communicating with the folks at Pertronix, am convinced it was the source of my gremlins. I believe instructions for IgnitorII say it needs a 12v source.

When cold, it would get 12V and be fine. After things are warmed up, it would have a lower voltage. While driving (hwy, extended drive), it would feel like the engine would cut out for a millisecond about once per hour. Once I stopped the car, it would refuse to start again...until everything had cooled off (several hours) and it would start/run like a champ again.

I had mine wired up to the resistance wire, and after communicating with the folks at Pertronix, am convinced it was the source of my gremlins. I believe instructions for IgnitorII say it needs a 12v source.

When cold, it would get 12V and be fine. After things are warmed up, it would have a lower voltage. While driving (hwy, extended drive), it would feel like the engine would cut out for a millisecond about once per hour. Once I stopped the car, it would refuse to start again...until everything had cooled off (several hours) and it would start/run like a champ again.

Ahhh I have been having a little issue similar to this which is steadily getting worse. It has started to get a little miss at idle particularly in gear and only when it is warm. I have a suspicion that it is a bad battery earth/cable as it also has a little trouble cranking when hot. But now maybe it is both the cable and the distributor. Also tend to have to crank four or five times with a little throttle to start when hot, when before it was no throttle with one quick crank.

I might run a lead from the battery to the positive side of the coil to check the theory. Probably fix that bad earth too. lol

Interesting stuff. I have purchased Pertronix III and Flame-Thrower III coil. So no ballast needed and is best connected to dedicated 12v source, not the low resistance wire?

My reason for buying the pertronix II over the III was that I was told by the vendor it did not require a dedicated 12V power source but the PIII did. But that may not be entirely correct. I really do not want to run 12v due to the extra wiring and hassle, not to mention it not being correct, but it appears I have to.

Interesting stuff. I have purchased Pertronix III and Flame-Thrower III coil. So no ballast needed and is best connected to dedicated 12v source, not the low resistance wire?

If you've got a dedicated 12V source for it, you're good to go!