Sign in to follow this  
djs69stang

Motor stops-electrical?

302 with stock distributor, points, msd 2 coil-oil, Painless wiring throughout, ballast resistor. Except for the distributor, the other 3 items were installed in the summer 2010 and have very few miles. Motor starts and runs fine. But it has developed an issue where it just turns off. And it is increasing in its frequency. It may do it while I am driving down the highway, at a stop, coming to a stop, etc. Sometimes it refires right away, sometimes it won't. If it won't restart, sometimes I can "bump" the starter/engine a time or two and then it will fire up. Can the coil be the culprit in going bad? I have checked every connection, wire, fuse, etc., I don't know what else to check.

302 with stock distributor, points, msd 2 coil-oil, Painless wiring throughout, ballast resistor. Except for the distributor, the other 3 items were installed in the summer 2010 and have very few miles. Motor starts and runs fine. But it has developed an issue where it just turns off. And it is increasing in its frequency. It may do it while I am driving down the highway, at a stop, coming to a stop, etc. Sometimes it refires right away, sometimes it won't. If it won't restart, sometimes I can "bump" the starter/engine a time or two and then it will fire up. Can the coil be the culprit in going bad? I have checked every connection, wire, fuse, etc., I don't know what else to check.

How do the points look? If they are old, it could be your issue. If I was you, I would ditch them ASAP, and get a Petronix conversion. It's about the best "under $100 item" you can buy, and will make your ignition system WAY more reliable.

How do the points look? If they are old, it could be your issue. If I was you, I would ditch them ASAP, and get a Petronix conversion. It's about the best "under $100 item" you can buy, and will make your ignition system WAY more reliable.

Before I installed the Painless system I had the Pertronix. Afterwards installing the Painless (which went well and was a huge difference) I didn't know about the need for a ballast resistor and I think it got burned up. Didn't have one before because of the weird way the previous owner had things wired. Anyway, after removing the Pertronix putting in points and installling the ballast resistor all was great for over a year. Points even now look fine. So, I pulled the distributor cap and looked inside the places where the spark plugs connect and 6 of the holes are black instead of clean and clear. Cleaned those out, checked the wires and two of the metal inserts on the end of the wires were basically "scorched" so bad that a portion of the metal contact broke right off. So, tomorrow I will check all the plugs and gaps and hook all of that back up and see how she runs. Sound like a plan? Pertronix is on the list of to do's.

Before I installed the Painless system I had the Pertronix. Afterwards installing the Painless (which went well and was a huge difference) I didn't know about the need for a ballast resistor and I think it got burned up. Didn't have one before because of the weird way the previous owner had things wired. Anyway, after removing the Pertronix putting in points and installling the ballast resistor all was great for over a year. Points even now look fine. So, I pulled the distributor cap and looked inside the places where the spark plugs connect and 6 of the holes are black instead of clean and clear. Cleaned those out, checked the wires and two of the metal inserts on the end of the wires were basically "scorched" so bad that a portion of the metal contact broke right off. So, tomorrow I will check all the plugs and gaps and hook all of that back up and see how she runs. Sound like a plan? Pertronix is on the list of to do's.

Pertronix has 3 types of Ignitor systems, plus you can get them in a Distributor already; 2 types of coils; what about the level for the spark plug wires? I doubt I need Ignitor III, not that high performance of a motor and system. I sent emails to them and CJ for suggestions. Want to chime in also?

Pertronix has 3 types of Ignitor systems, plus you can get them in a Distributor already; 2 types of coils; what about the level for the spark plug wires? I doubt I need Ignitor III, not that high performance of a motor and system. I sent emails to them and CJ for suggestions. Want to chime in also?

There's probably thousands of guys running the base model Ignitor in a stock dizzy. If your running a stock motor this is probably all you need:

http://www.summitracing.com/parts/PNX-1281/

Yep! That's all he needs. I installed that exact one in my 351C Mach the day I took delivery of the car. Takes no more than about 10 minutes to install, and have the car running again.

There's probably thousands of guys running the base model Ignitor in a stock dizzy. If your running a stock motor this is probably all you need:

http://www.summitracing.com/parts/PNX-1281/

Yep! That's all he needs. I installed that exact one in my 351C Mach the day I took delivery of the car. Takes no more than about 10 minutes to install, and have the car running again.

There are special crimps needed when assembling plug wires on the boot end of the wire. Not all wire crimpers are created equal, I guess you could say. LOL

Here is a set of plug wire crimpers I own. Notice the wire strip section near the bottom of the tool... 7mm wires, and 8mm wires. This part is used to strip back the spark plug wire coating, and leave the core exposed for crimping. You want about 3/4 of an inch of core exposed, as the exposed end will be looped through a hole in the plug wire's metal socket end... to then be installed (crimped) onto the wire.

2m3fqsl.jpg

Here is the end of the crimper, with the special "W" die for properly crimping plug wire ends.

18m5nr.jpg

I will actually be installing a set of similar wires on a buddy's '66 Shelby in the next couple days. If you want, I can take some pics of the proper way to crimp wires, and post them for you.