Sign in to follow this  
bwilson13087

302 to 351w swap

Hey guys, this past weekend i picked up a really nice 351w short block at the swap meet and plan on replacing my 302 with it. I heard I can use my 302 heads if i drill out the holes. However, i would rather get some with better air flow. Im not sure if it would be better (or cheaper) to just take them to a machine shop and get them ported and stuff or just buy some fancy aftermarket ones. Any advice?...

Hey guys, this past weekend i picked up a really nice 351w short block at the swap meet and plan on replacing my 302 with it. I heard I can use my 302 heads if i drill out the holes. However, i would rather get some with better air flow. Im not sure if it would be better (or cheaper) to just take them to a machine shop and get them ported and stuff or just buy some fancy aftermarket ones. Any advice?...

see if you can exchange your heads for 351w it'll probably be cheaper for you then to have your 302 head be adapted to ur 351w.

but if anything go aftermarket, it would probably make more sense, since ur looking for more Airflow etc... BUT, I would have to ask what are you plans with this motor?

see if you can exchange your heads for 351w it'll probably be cheaper for you then to have your 302 head be adapted to ur 351w.

but if anything go aftermarket, it would probably make more sense, since ur looking for more Airflow etc... BUT, I would have to ask what are you plans with this motor?

What heads do you have? If they are factory iron heads, you probabably will not make make much more horsepower, but you will make it at a lower RPM, and have better low end torque. I have drilled out 302 heads for a 351. It is really quite easy. All you need is a 1/2" drill bit and a drill press. The drill bit sort of self aligns.

What heads do you have? If they are factory iron heads, you probabably will not make make much more horsepower, but you will make it at a lower RPM, and have better low end torque. I have drilled out 302 heads for a 351. It is really quite easy. All you need is a 1/2" drill bit and a drill press. The drill bit sort of self aligns.

And you will need a GOOD drill bit, not some cheep crap from home depot....Go to Fastenall and get a GOOD bit...If it costs less taht 10 bucks per bit its probably not that great...We spend 22 bucks it was i believe for the bit to do the shelby drop on 2 cars....That was money well spent...that bit chewed through both cars like they were butter...worth every cent.

I have a friend who has a nice set of 351 Heads that he replaced with some aluminum heads....His car went 12.60s with a 5 speed and XE 274 cam....very mild set up that ran great on the street....heady have about 2000 miles since rebuilt....

I can see what he wants for them...probably be pretty cheep

And you will need a GOOD drill bit, not some cheep crap from home depot....Go to Fastenall and get a GOOD bit...If it costs less taht 10 bucks per bit its probably not that great...We spend 22 bucks it was i believe for the bit to do the shelby drop on 2 cars....That was money well spent...that bit chewed through both cars like they were butter...worth every cent.

I have a friend who has a nice set of 351 Heads that he replaced with some aluminum heads....His car went 12.60s with a 5 speed and XE 274 cam....very mild set up that ran great on the street....heady have about 2000 miles since rebuilt....

I can see what he wants for them...probably be pretty cheep

Check out RHS (racingheadservice.com) if your going aftermarket. They have aluminum and cast iron that flow a lot better than the factory windsor heads with the tiny exhaust ports. They are also decently priced when compared to other aftermarket heads. I went with the Pro Action 200cc intake runners and 64cc combustion chambers. Haven't ran them yet, so I don't know how they are going to do.

For the price difference they are defiantly worth a look if your going aftermarket.

Drew

Check out RHS (racingheadservice.com) if your going aftermarket. They have aluminum and cast iron that flow a lot better than the factory windsor heads with the tiny exhaust ports. They are also decently priced when compared to other aftermarket heads. I went with the Pro Action 200cc intake runners and 64cc combustion chambers. Haven't ran them yet, so I don't know how they are going to do.

For the price difference they are defiantly worth a look if your going aftermarket.

Drew

honestly I say go with the edelbrock top end kit, good reliable street performance. I never used that kit but some ppl are pretty happy with it. the price is fair aswell, probably cost as much as porting your stock heads etc..

honestly I say go with the edelbrock top end kit, good reliable street performance. I never used that kit but some ppl are pretty happy with it. the price is fair aswell, probably cost as much as porting your stock heads etc..

I agree with RWCSTANG, you can get a Edelbrock Performer RPM top end kit (Intake, Cam, Heads, lifters, Bolts, and all of the gaskets you need to put it together) for like $1750. That may sound like a lot of money but if you have already got a 351w bottom end thats the way to go. Edelbrock says it makes 400+ streetable horsepower. Sounds like a great deal to me.

I agree with RWCSTANG, you can get a Edelbrock Performer RPM top end kit (Intake, Cam, Heads, lifters, Bolts, and all of the gaskets you need to put it together) for like $1750. That may sound like a lot of money but if you have already got a 351w bottom end thats the way to go. Edelbrock says it makes 400+ streetable horsepower. Sounds like a great deal to me.

I have gt40p's on my 351w mustang, and another set on a 5.0 in a truck. I like the GT40p's a lot. Be ready for creative exhaust work though. On my 351W mustang, I stuck with the original cast iron manifolds (there post on this site about it.) On my truck, I had to cut and reweld one of the tubes on the header. There is a lot of writeups on these heads. They will never flow as much as the aftermarket alumninum heads. If you are on a budget, IMO these are the best choice for factory iron heads. 300hp seems to be what people claim to get with these heads, and I think I am a little under that on both my motors.

I have gt40p's on my 351w mustang, and another set on a 5.0 in a truck. I like the GT40p's a lot. Be ready for creative exhaust work though. On my 351W mustang, I stuck with the original cast iron manifolds (there post on this site about it.) On my truck, I had to cut and reweld one of the tubes on the header. There is a lot of writeups on these heads. They will never flow as much as the aftermarket alumninum heads. If you are on a budget, IMO these are the best choice for factory iron heads. 300hp seems to be what people claim to get with these heads, and I think I am a little under that on both my motors.