Ash

Ash's 69 R-code

It has definitely worked at keeping my hands and mind busy.

Ha, that's funny. My wife gives me a look of confusion. I was trying to explain the jig to her, she listened but must have thought I was from a different planet.

I've been working my way through this truck chassis and I'm probably about 2/3's done. Some boxing is incomplete as I need to wait for both cab clearance and engineer to inspect. Otherwise the rear diff mounts are done except for some inner webbing which is waiting for fuel tank fitment. The left shock tower is mostly done, now to just repeat for the right side. The steering rack is mounted. And one of the 4 engine cradle mounts are done.

Some bits are welded, others are just tacked. I didn't want to go too far with the welding in areas other than tricky or hard to get to places.

I rolled it out of the shed today and here are some shots.

20171229_152906.jpg

20171229_153045.jpg

20171229_153113.jpg

20171229_153130.jpg

The power steering rack is over the top of the trans, that's probably the biggest different. But it would also be a big step backwards not using the Audi brakes.

Our cars here tend to not incorporate the upper control arms into the cross member like it does on the Crown Vic. So you have to work a way around that which really isn't convenient. I had thought in the past about shipping a Crown Vic front clip over. That was until I got the Audi.

Oh I'm familiar with the A4 having owned and changed the struts on it. Two upper control arms, per side? A real pita aligning and connecting them and the steering tie rod at once. But they handle. 

I was seriously considering it all the way home. If the left side was in the same shape as the right it would be awesome. Unfortunately that side is a little too far gone. But the bullet holes would make it a great rod. I was thinking of using a V8 Explorer as the base. 

59 minutes ago, bigmal said:

I was seriously considering it all the way home. If the left side was in the same shape as the right it would be awesome. Unfortunately that side is a little too far gone. But the bullet holes would make it a great rod. I was thinking of using a V8 Explorer as the base. 

You're right, it's a shame about the left side. Too far gone.

I used to have a couple of 2005 4.6 V8 Explorers. Their chassis is separate to their bodies which would make them ideal as a donor. Plus they have an alloy block which is really light. The weak link in them though is the auto box. Mine was not happy with me towing my boat. But throw a blower on the motor and you'd have all kinds of fun. And bloody hell they sound great!

On ‎13‎/‎01‎/‎2018 at 10:37 AM, Ash said:

You're right, it's a shame about the left side. Too far gone.

I used to have a couple of 2005 4.6 V8 Explorers. Their chassis is separate to their bodies which would make them ideal as a donor. Plus they have an alloy block which is really light. The weak link in them though is the auto box. Mine was not happy with me towing my boat. But throw a blower on the motor and you'd have all kinds of fun. And bloody hell they sound great!

I agree. I've had a 1998 V6, a 2002 V8 and a 2004 V8. I heard a lot about gearbox issues but had a really good run with mine. With the right exhaust they sound great.

9 minutes ago, bigmal said:

I agree. I've had a 1998 V6, a 2002 V8 and a 2004 V8. I heard a lot about gearbox issues but had a really good run with mine. With the right exhaust they sound great.

This was mine. My wife had a silver one. And I had another at one point for parts, as you can see in the photo. I loved them. They were so much better than our previous Ford Territory.

The wife's had a twin exhaust system and it sounded brilliant. My black one just a straight through single.

My boat was a big glass heavy thing, it was too much for it I believe. It towed it fine, no problem in the power department, I just cooked the gearbox on a trip to Forster one time.

20150804_161005_zpsbwgn5lmk.jpg

Explorerx3_zps96074e93.jpg

1 minute ago, Ash said:

This was mine. My wife had a silver one. And I had another at one point for parts, as you can see in the photo. I loved them. They were so much better than our previous Ford Territory.

The wife's had a twin exhaust system and it sounded brilliant. My black one just a straight through single.

My boat was a big glass heavy thing, it was too much for it I believe. It towed it fine, no problem in the power department, I just cooked the gearbox on a trip to Forster one time.

20150804_161005_zpsbwgn5lmk.jpg

Explorerx3_zps96074e93.jpg

My last one sounded the same. I can't understand why they weren't more popular over here. The bright side is they will be a very cheap donor car.

Oh definitely. I brought the one on the left from auction for from memory $1100 This was maybe 4 years or more ago. It only had about 100k on it and was a fully loaded model. I used it to repair the gearbox on my other one and made a really nice car out of the two. They were both exactly the same cars.

I've seen them now go for around $500.