Ash

Ash's 69 R-code

It's been almost a year now since I purchased my 69 428CJ R-code. I've been floating around this forum for a little while, but thought it time to share and to keep a bit of a log with my car.

Ever since I was a little kid, all I have ever wanted is a 69/70 Mach 1. In February 2011 I flew to the USA, met up with a guy who I had been talking to for a few months, and purchased his 69 Mach 1 R-code 428 Cobra Jet with a 4 speed close ratio transmission and 3.91:1 traction lock diff.

Here's some pics of it during the purchase process:

The pics that were emailed to me when I found it

DSC00712.jpg

DSC00722.jpg

Coming back from my first drive in Louisiana. It was the first time I had ever driven a Mustang, first time to drive a LHD manual (the day before was the first time to drive a LHD car which was the hire car) and also the first time I've driven a big block. So it was a very quick learning curve.

P2150039.jpg

It loaded up to go meet the truck for delivery to Los Angeles

P2150046.jpg

P2150049.jpg

Waiting 4 hours in a Wallmart carpark, the truck was extremely late even though we were told they would be 20mins after we arrived. Standing in that carpark was an eye opener on its own. Many people stopped to take photos which was awesome! And many others stopped to buy drugs from someone dealing not far from where we were. I've never seen anything like it.

P2160066.jpg

Going onto the truck in Lafayette to make the journey to L.A.

P2160067.jpg

After arriving in L.A. and giving it a wash

DSC00048.jpg

DSC00043.jpg

DSC00060.jpg

DSC00052.jpg

DSC00049.jpg

And me with my new toy, extremely over whelmed and extremely exhausted from all the travelling and lack of sleep.

DSC00061.jpg

I'm was so happy with my purchase, I couldn't describe the feeling. It's the one and only car I have ever really wanted and the one car I will never sell. EVER!!

I finally got word of it arriving in May and was quickly down to pick it up. Here she was waiting for me. Unfortunately it was running like shit! It wasn't running great when we dropped it off to the exporter but knew it had a few things needing attention.

P5060185.jpg

Edited by Ash

It's been almost a year now since I purchased my 69 428CJ R-code. I've been floating around this forum for a little while, but thought it time to share and to keep a bit of a log with my car.

Ever since I was a little kid, all I have ever wanted is a 69/70 Mach 1. In February 2011 I flew to the USA, met up with a guy who I had been talking to for a few months, and purchased his 69 Mach 1 R-code 428 Cobra Jet with a 4 speed close ratio transmission and 3.91:1 traction lock diff.

Here's some pics of it during the purchase process:

The pics that were emailed to me when I found it

DSC00712.jpg

DSC00722.jpg

Coming back from my first drive in Louisiana. It was the first time I had ever driven a Mustang, first time to drive a LHD manual (the day before was the first time to drive a LHD car which was the hire car) and also the first time I've driven a big block. So it was a very quick learning curve.

P2150039.jpg

It loaded up to go meet the truck for delivery to Los Angeles

P2150046.jpg

P2150049.jpg

Waiting 4 hours in a Wallmart carpark, the truck was extremely late even though we were told they would be 20mins after we arrived. Standing in that carpark was an eye opener on its own. Many people stopped to take photos which was awesome! And many others stopped to buy drugs from someone dealing not far from where we were. I've never seen anything like it.

P2160066.jpg

Going onto the truck in Lafayette to make the journey to L.A.

P2160067.jpg

After arriving in L.A. and giving it a wash

DSC00048.jpg

DSC00043.jpg

DSC00060.jpg

DSC00052.jpg

DSC00049.jpg

And me with my new toy, extremely over whelmed and extremely exhausted from all the travelling and lack of sleep.

DSC00061.jpg

I'm was so happy with my purchase, I couldn't describe the feeling. It's the one and only car I have ever really wanted and the one car I will never sell. EVER!!

I finally got word of it arriving in May and was quickly down to pick it up. Here she was waiting for me. Unfortunately it was running like shit! It wasn't running great when we dropped it off to the exporter but knew it had a few things needing attention.

P5060185.jpg

Edited by Ash

I got it onto the trailer and towed it the 100km's home

P5060186.jpg

Where she rolled off the trailer and into its new home

P5080191.jpg

P5080188.jpg

My 3 kids checking it out and having a ball!

P6180200.jpg

Not long from here was when I started to find some issues. I popped the rocker covers to look at installing some new rocker shafts. It broke a rocker shaft the day before I turned up in the US so the previous owner told me he put some standard gear in to get it running for us. That's when I found this, this push rod was not coming out.

P8130253.jpg

I then found anther that looked like this

P8150205.jpg

So I popped off the intake off to remove them

P8150211.jpg

And discovered these, not happy!

P8150207.jpg

And from here it sat for some time. Life got busy as hell and we ended up buying another Mustang as well. We wanted one that we could drive daily and get out in and enjoy as much as possible. We only wanted a 6cyl as I knew we could get a very nice car for the price. After some searching for a while and lots and lots of emails, I found one on Craigslist in Bend, OR which fit perfectly. We made a deal, had it inspected and brought it. Had it trucked down to L.A. where it was not long after shipped to Aus. It arrived in October 2011 and I drive it every day. I take the kids to school in it and pick them up. Every day, I ask them "who wants to go in the Mustang?" and they go running out the door, they love it!!

Picking it up

P9230234.jpg

Getting it home

P9230293.jpg

P9230296.jpg

The kids testing it out, especially my boy who had to touch everything, haha!

P9230241.jpg

P9230260.jpg

Going for its first drive

P9250238.jpg

P9250246.jpg

I got it onto the trailer and towed it the 100km's home

P5060186.jpg

Where she rolled off the trailer and into its new home

P5080191.jpg

P5080188.jpg

My 3 kids checking it out and having a ball!

P6180200.jpg

Not long from here was when I started to find some issues. I popped the rocker covers to look at installing some new rocker shafts. It broke a rocker shaft the day before I turned up in the US so the previous owner told me he put some standard gear in to get it running for us. That's when I found this, this push rod was not coming out.

P8130253.jpg

I then found anther that looked like this

P8150205.jpg

So I popped off the intake off to remove them

P8150211.jpg

And discovered these, not happy!

P8150207.jpg

And from here it sat for some time. Life got busy as hell and we ended up buying another Mustang as well. We wanted one that we could drive daily and get out in and enjoy as much as possible. We only wanted a 6cyl as I knew we could get a very nice car for the price. After some searching for a while and lots and lots of emails, I found one on Craigslist in Bend, OR which fit perfectly. We made a deal, had it inspected and brought it. Had it trucked down to L.A. where it was not long after shipped to Aus. It arrived in October 2011 and I drive it every day. I take the kids to school in it and pick them up. Every day, I ask them "who wants to go in the Mustang?" and they go running out the door, they love it!!

Picking it up

P9230234.jpg

Getting it home

P9230293.jpg

P9230296.jpg

The kids testing it out, especially my boy who had to touch everything, haha!

P9230241.jpg

P9230260.jpg

Going for its first drive

P9250238.jpg

P9250246.jpg

Well please let me be the first to say congratulations! What a beautiful car! (the 69) :) Thanks for all the great pics and story. That must have been one long journey... Austrailia to lousiana to California back to austrailia, wow. That's commitment. You are one blessed man!

Well please let me be the first to say congratulations! What a beautiful car! (the 69) :) Thanks for all the great pics and story. That must have been one long journey... Austrailia to lousiana to California back to austrailia, wow. That's commitment. You are one blessed man!

PA090235.jpg

I took it to a car show that first week with a mate who has a 69 S-code.

PA230256.jpg

PA230251.jpg

And this is one of me with another mate in his 68

PB160264.jpg

And a few more pics from around our area

PB230299.jpg

PC290525.jpg

PC290528.jpg

Back to the CJ. I pulled the motor, what a nightmare that is with the header bolts on the Edelbrock 16 bolt heads! Took me quite some time to get her out.

I knew it wasn't the original block but was good to learn it was a genuine 428 block and still a virgin bore.

PB210260.jpg

But once I started digging, things got worse

IMAG0063.jpg

Bit hard to see but the cam lobe has been rounded. This motor was freshly rebuilt with what I was told roughly 300miles.

IMAG0066.jpg

The bearings had some strange wear marks

P1240524.jpg

P1240522.jpg

P1240523.jpg

P1250518.jpg

Everything you felt was gritty with metal. My heart sunk, I was so devastated!

PA090235.jpg

I took it to a car show that first week with a mate who has a 69 S-code.

PA230256.jpg

PA230251.jpg

And this is one of me with another mate in his 68

PB160264.jpg

And a few more pics from around our area

PB230299.jpg

PC290525.jpg

PC290528.jpg

Back to the CJ. I pulled the motor, what a nightmare that is with the header bolts on the Edelbrock 16 bolt heads! Took me quite some time to get her out.

I knew it wasn't the original block but was good to learn it was a genuine 428 block and still a virgin bore.

PB210260.jpg

But once I started digging, things got worse

IMAG0063.jpg

Bit hard to see but the cam lobe has been rounded. This motor was freshly rebuilt with what I was told roughly 300miles.

IMAG0066.jpg

The bearings had some strange wear marks

P1240524.jpg

P1240522.jpg

P1240523.jpg

P1250518.jpg

Everything you felt was gritty with metal. My heart sunk, I was so devastated!

Thanks very much Cornerstone! It was a huge trip. We travelled for 4 days non stop to get there. The entire time we were either on a plane, in a car or waiting in a line to go somewhere. We were so exhausted. The whole trip was roughly 10 days and we didn't stop the whole time. We did a little bit of sight seeing around L.A. but that was it. It was just my Dad and I, we did a bit of shopping and saw some really cool stuff. But to say we were buggered was an understatement!

Thanks very much Cornerstone! It was a huge trip. We travelled for 4 days non stop to get there. The entire time we were either on a plane, in a car or waiting in a line to go somewhere. We were so exhausted. The whole trip was roughly 10 days and we didn't stop the whole time. We did a little bit of sight seeing around L.A. but that was it. It was just my Dad and I, we did a bit of shopping and saw some really cool stuff. But to say we were buggered was an understatement!

I dropped the crank off to the machinist to be looked at before I purchased new parts to reinstall. He rang me up to come back and look before he did anything. He showed me this, the oil hole for the No.3 rod is right on the edge of the bearing. So much so that it is at the point of being outside the bearing shell.

P2030542.jpg

Again it's a bit hard to see but you can make out the wear marks.

P2030538.jpg

I'm really hesitant at putting this crank back in. Some of the other oil holes are similar, they are not centre but this one is by far the worse. I can't bear to spend all the time and money rebuilding the engine to only end up with the engine failing again. Some people are saying it'll be fine others saying with some work it could be ok too. But I think for my own piece of mind and sanity, I'm going to just buy a new rotating assembly and start fresh.....again.

The plan is to buy a new Scat 9000 series 4.250 crank, BBC 6.700 rods and new pistons and stroke it to 641. This is going to take a little while to gather the parts as its more money to outlay. So I'll take my time and gather them as I can afford it, do everything right and make sure its all spot on. If it takes a year, then so be it. Life is busy and there is plenty of other things I can do to the car in the meantime. I want to paint the engine bay, tidy it right up before I think of putting a block back in.

Now I'm also considering tidying up some minor body issues and repainting it too. The paint looks great from a few feet, but get up close an dyou can pick its faults. I'm going to have the time so am thinking why not get it all sorted while it's all apart.

Due to the shaker not sitting right because it had a Performer RPM intake, with the help of some other forum members on here, I've managed to find the correct one. It turned up yesterday, its a Blue Thunder 427MR. From everything I have read and been told, it is the only thing in aftermarket that will allow the shaker/carb placement to be in the factory position. Big thanks guys, I'm very happy to have the right part and you helped a lot!!

P2100005.jpg

And here it sits, ready for a fresh start.

P1280530.jpg

I dropped the crank off to the machinist to be looked at before I purchased new parts to reinstall. He rang me up to come back and look before he did anything. He showed me this, the oil hole for the No.3 rod is right on the edge of the bearing. So much so that it is at the point of being outside the bearing shell.

P2030542.jpg

Again it's a bit hard to see but you can make out the wear marks.

P2030538.jpg

I'm really hesitant at putting this crank back in. Some of the other oil holes are similar, they are not centre but this one is by far the worse. I can't bear to spend all the time and money rebuilding the engine to only end up with the engine failing again. Some people are saying it'll be fine others saying with some work it could be ok too. But I think for my own piece of mind and sanity, I'm going to just buy a new rotating assembly and start fresh.....again.

The plan is to buy a new Scat 9000 series 4.250 crank, BBC 6.700 rods and new pistons and stroke it to 641. This is going to take a little while to gather the parts as its more money to outlay. So I'll take my time and gather them as I can afford it, do everything right and make sure its all spot on. If it takes a year, then so be it. Life is busy and there is plenty of other things I can do to the car in the meantime. I want to paint the engine bay, tidy it right up before I think of putting a block back in.

Now I'm also considering tidying up some minor body issues and repainting it too. The paint looks great from a few feet, but get up close an dyou can pick its faults. I'm going to have the time so am thinking why not get it all sorted while it's all apart.

Due to the shaker not sitting right because it had a Performer RPM intake, with the help of some other forum members on here, I've managed to find the correct one. It turned up yesterday, its a Blue Thunder 427MR. From everything I have read and been told, it is the only thing in aftermarket that will allow the shaker/carb placement to be in the factory position. Big thanks guys, I'm very happy to have the right part and you helped a lot!!

P2100005.jpg

And here it sits, ready for a fresh start.

P1280530.jpg

Thanks very much Powershift!!

It's going to take a while. Money comes and goes far too fast these days but it'll happen when it happens. And as much as it is painful that the engine went all wrong, I really am enjoying working on it myself and learning about every nut and bolt and making the car truly mine.

The biggest step was to get it home and in my shed. I've got the rest of my life to enjoy it and then pass it on to one of those 3 kids when I go. I work at home too, so I get to sit and stare as much as I like, haha!!

Thanks very much Powershift!!

It's going to take a while. Money comes and goes far too fast these days but it'll happen when it happens. And as much as it is painful that the engine went all wrong, I really am enjoying working on it myself and learning about every nut and bolt and making the car truly mine.

The biggest step was to get it home and in my shed. I've got the rest of my life to enjoy it and then pass it on to one of those 3 kids when I go. I work at home too, so I get to sit and stare as much as I like, haha!!

I think its too cool that you are so invested in the Mustang in your daily life. Those kids will always remember these times with mom and dad and the stangs. (especially the blue one that dad had taken apart and seemed to always be working on)

Interesting the oil hole location on the rod journal. Did the opposite side of that rod bearing appear starved for oil?

And what typically bends pushrods? Stiff springs? Are those solid lifters in the 428? I have a 70 mach, same color as your car but 351C. Have always had a love for the big blocks you know

Edited by miketyler

I think its too cool that you are so invested in the Mustang in your daily life. Those kids will always remember these times with mom and dad and the stangs. (especially the blue one that dad had taken apart and seemed to always be working on)

Interesting the oil hole location on the rod journal. Did the opposite side of that rod bearing appear starved for oil?

And what typically bends pushrods? Stiff springs? Are those solid lifters in the 428? I have a 70 mach, same color as your car but 351C. Have always had a love for the big blocks you know

Edited by miketyler

What an adventure you are having. I hope that you are still able to fulfill your dream of enjoying your 69 mustang after all of these trials and tribulations. They say that it is the journey that us mustang enthusiasts enjoy, and not the destination. Your journey appears to have taken you on a few twists and turns, but what a story you are able to tell. At the end of the day, "it is what it is", and you will be better for it at the end. Thanks for sharing your story and I am saddened that the guy who sold you the car took advantage of you, especially having travelled so far. Loved the photos.

Bill from Canada

What an adventure you are having. I hope that you are still able to fulfill your dream of enjoying your 69 mustang after all of these trials and tribulations. They say that it is the journey that us mustang enthusiasts enjoy, and not the destination. Your journey appears to have taken you on a few twists and turns, but what a story you are able to tell. At the end of the day, "it is what it is", and you will be better for it at the end. Thanks for sharing your story and I am saddened that the guy who sold you the car took advantage of you, especially having travelled so far. Loved the photos.

Bill from Canada

Stuck valves! I have some pushrods in my toolbox for show and tell that look exactly like that.

Nice looking cars and family to the OP! Welcome!

Stuck valves! I have some pushrods in my toolbox for show and tell that look exactly like that.

Interesting the oil hole location on the rod journal. Did the opposited side of that rod bearing appear starved for oil?

Thanks Miketyler, you hit it on the head! We really wanted the kids to grow up with something that is so memorable. We already do so many things together as a family, now we just do it in a Mustang, haha! It's funny, they are so young, yet they know that the cars are something really special. They notice old cars now when we are out and about. Mustangs are not that common here like you would know of them. There are becoming more around with the stronger Aussie dollar but they are still an uncommon car to see. My 4 year old daughter is starting to recognise the different models already. You're exactly right, they'll forever remember growing up as a family with Mustangs in the blood. I remember learning to turn spanners when I was a little kid following my Dad around in the shed. I want them to have the same fond memories.

If you look in the photo of the big ends on the rods, you can see the difference in bearing wear. See how No.3 bearings have worn dramatically more then the No.7 which it shares the journal with. You'll see the same pattern with the other Rods too. No.8 is worse then No.4, No.2 is worse then No.6 and No.5 is worse then No.1. I know the metal in the oil would have sped up wear and tear, but the fact that the oil holes are not aligned, and the bearings have worn like this must mean something to do with the quantity of oil flowing to these problem areas?

These were the wrong length pushrods installed into damaged lifters. They were hydraulic lifters.

I think it may have been the case of incorrect break in procedure following with lifter failure damaging the cam then breaking the previous pushrods and braking a rocker shaft. These bent rods were not the right ones for the engine set-up but the damage had already been done before this. I don't know if the oil pressure was an issue before hand as well, I don't know. I've only driven this for that short period in Louisiana and then on/off the trailer here at home.

I've had a few 351C's. A few 302C's as well. Cleveland's are very common here in our Fords. A mate who lives a few streets over from me, he has a 70 Mach 1 with a 351C and a 4 speed. His car is Orange though and also a RHD. He is a Ford nut!!

I'm completely new to the world of FE's, had never even seen one before I saw this car. The sound they make is amazing. I love the sound of a Cleveland, my last one sounded fantastic. I have to admit though the sound of this 428 sends shivers up my spine, love it!!

At the moment I'm contemplating fixing up some body issues and changing its colour while I spend the time on getting the mechanics right. I really love the Acapulco blue but my wife isn't a fan. She says she always pictured me getting a black one. And I almost did but the one I had my eye on sold before I was ready. It actually ended up coming to Australia as well. So that may also be on the cards now, lots of work ahead!!

Bill from Canada

Thanks very much Bill for the kind words!

I think you're very right, I know several Mustang owners who are not fussed on rushing out and doing things in halves just to go for a drive. I'm finding it and can see others too, the love working on them, thinking about them and the time spent is the enjoyment in itself. Sure these big blocks take loads of skin off the knuckles and the neighbours may hear me swear every so often but that in itself is also fun. My blood literally is going into this car!

The car is what it is, like you say. I also look at it in the way that it is over 40 years old, cars will be cars and things do fail. I don't know if I can blame the previous owner. It was great dealing with him and spending the few days that I did with him. He went a long way out of his way to help us too. He drove us in his F150 towing the 69 from North Louisiana down south to Lafayette and stayed with us all day until the truck came then dropped us off at the airport. We had meals with him and his family, it was a great experience. Whether he knew more then he was letting on, I don't know. So I just look at it like you said, "it is what it is".

Cheers,

Ash

Interesting the oil hole location on the rod journal. Did the opposited side of that rod bearing appear starved for oil?

Thanks Miketyler, you hit it on the head! We really wanted the kids to grow up with something that is so memorable. We already do so many things together as a family, now we just do it in a Mustang, haha! It's funny, they are so young, yet they know that the cars are something really special. They notice old cars now when we are out and about. Mustangs are not that common here like you would know of them. There are becoming more around with the stronger Aussie dollar but they are still an uncommon car to see. My 4 year old daughter is starting to recognise the different models already. You're exactly right, they'll forever remember growing up as a family with Mustangs in the blood. I remember learning to turn spanners when I was a little kid following my Dad around in the shed. I want them to have the same fond memories.

If you look in the photo of the big ends on the rods, you can see the difference in bearing wear. See how No.3 bearings have worn dramatically more then the No.7 which it shares the journal with. You'll see the same pattern with the other Rods too. No.8 is worse then No.4, No.2 is worse then No.6 and No.5 is worse then No.1. I know the metal in the oil would have sped up wear and tear, but the fact that the oil holes are not aligned, and the bearings have worn like this must mean something to do with the quantity of oil flowing to these problem areas?

These were the wrong length pushrods installed into damaged lifters. They were hydraulic lifters.

I think it may have been the case of incorrect break in procedure following with lifter failure damaging the cam then breaking the previous pushrods and braking a rocker shaft. These bent rods were not the right ones for the engine set-up but the damage had already been done before this. I don't know if the oil pressure was an issue before hand as well, I don't know. I've only driven this for that short period in Louisiana and then on/off the trailer here at home.

I've had a few 351C's. A few 302C's as well. Cleveland's are very common here in our Fords. A mate who lives a few streets over from me, he has a 70 Mach 1 with a 351C and a 4 speed. His car is Orange though and also a RHD. He is a Ford nut!!

I'm completely new to the world of FE's, had never even seen one before I saw this car. The sound they make is amazing. I love the sound of a Cleveland, my last one sounded fantastic. I have to admit though the sound of this 428 sends shivers up my spine, love it!!

At the moment I'm contemplating fixing up some body issues and changing its colour while I spend the time on getting the mechanics right. I really love the Acapulco blue but my wife isn't a fan. She says she always pictured me getting a black one. And I almost did but the one I had my eye on sold before I was ready. It actually ended up coming to Australia as well. So that may also be on the cards now, lots of work ahead!!

Bill from Canada

Thanks very much Bill for the kind words!

I think you're very right, I know several Mustang owners who are not fussed on rushing out and doing things in halves just to go for a drive. I'm finding it and can see others too, the love working on them, thinking about them and the time spent is the enjoyment in itself. Sure these big blocks take loads of skin off the knuckles and the neighbours may hear me swear every so often but that in itself is also fun. My blood literally is going into this car!

The car is what it is, like you say. I also look at it in the way that it is over 40 years old, cars will be cars and things do fail. I don't know if I can blame the previous owner. It was great dealing with him and spending the few days that I did with him. He went a long way out of his way to help us too. He drove us in his F150 towing the 69 from North Louisiana down south to Lafayette and stayed with us all day until the truck came then dropped us off at the airport. We had meals with him and his family, it was a great experience. Whether he knew more then he was letting on, I don't know. So I just look at it like you said, "it is what it is".

Cheers,

Ash

I wouldn't be surprised if the valves in the Edelbrock heads are bent. I haven't pulled them apart yet but will be doing so and having them serviced by the machinist.

I've also read that the Edelbrock springs weren't up for the job so they will be going as well.

All this stuff was new, I have the receipts for it all from the build. It's a pain to have to replace near new parts that have failed. But that's how it goes. Thanks for telling me you've had the same issues.

Thanks for the welcome, Fordrevhead!!