Ash

Ash's 69 R-code

If you don't have an engineers certificate for every modification, you won't pass for registration. No registration on a vehicle means no use on public roads. The police now have number plate scanning devices on their vehicles too that scan while they are driving and alert them to registration status on passing vehicles. The fines and penalties for using an unregistered vehicle on public roads are more than the registration costs. So not worth it.

As I mentioned, each year our vehicles in NSW need to pass an inspection to be cleared for the following years registration. If the inspector, most mechanical shops, is inspecting a non-original car and questions the modifications, you need to provide the engineers certificate to prove those modifications are certified and legal. The same if you were pulled over by the police and they questioned you over modifications, you need to carry the engineers certificate to prove it. This is where the police persons knowledge and attitude can become a huge grey area. They have the right to fine or take the vehicle off the road but there are so many stories of misinformed police officers not knowing the rules but using their status to do so. I've been on the receiving end of both positive and negative too. Nothing against the police, just some people in general are a-holes.

Other states are different. Some are like us that require yearly inspections, some only require them when a vehicle changes ownership. But in those states, the modification rules still apply. If you were pulled over and the police detect uncertified modifications, they take the vehicle off the road until it is rectified. Which either means change the modification what ever it may be back to factory standard and have the vehicle inspected and cleared. Or have the modification engineer certificated.

Now, more grey areas. Each engineer and registration inspector also has their own interpretation of the rules. It's a matter of finding and using one that you get along with or are both on the same page, that makes it much easier.

Wow, that seems pretty complicated.  Where I live in North Carolina, once a car gets to be 30 years old, there is no more inspection of any kind required.  I drive my 1968 coupe around with original 1968 license plates on it.   

The reality is that the upgrades that most of us are doing are making the cars safer.  When I first got my car, it has bias ply tires, manual drum brakes, and manual steering.   Now running modern "V" rated tires, slotted/drilled 4 wheel disc brakes, etc.   

I trailered the truck down to the engineer this week for an inspection and I got the thumbs up all round. We also discussed the next few steps. I now don't need to take it back until it is basically at the point of painting.

Today, after getting the ok to modify the chassis, I was able to mock the front end and cab. It's all just sitting in place but it's great to know it's all going to work.

27654454_150730479062778_718752005639441003_n.jpg

27657326_150730552396104_6735210592411198686_n.jpg

27867008_150730502396109_6496933125374550954_n.jpg

27973108_150730525729440_5305098424654297169_n.jpg

I'm going to go for a back like this. I'll make it myself. I want to be able to fit my motorbike on it. After measuring it yesterday, a 2m tray will fit well, have a good amount of overhang and be able to carry two bikes fitting front to back.

I love reading build threads too. Thanks for the link, I'll have a read.

unnamed.jpg