Ash

Ash's 69 R-code

It was a great trip, guys. And we met quite a few people from all over the world. Some French, Scottish, Italian and lots Asian tourists. It was Japanese Cultural Exchange week at one point while we were there so there were many thousands of Japanese there for that. Ran into a few Aussies. But the biggest feedback we got from most people we spoke to was that they were unimpressed with the North area. We were very central in Hoi An but I'd have to say it was quite south Vietnamese dominated. There was nothing rude or pushy about them at all.

My wife had been there before, twice, and this was her favourite area which is why we chose there. It had changed a lot though she said since she was there about 12 years ago. And now there is a lot of large resort development along the coastline. Not my kind of thing but obviously it appeals to many others as there were a lot of them all neighbouring each other for miles on end.

Because we were there for a the time that we were, which seems to be quite odd to the locals as most come and go within days, we got to know the motel staff quite well. We were invited to one of their birthday dinners. It turned out to be a fantastic night. Finally we got proper Vietnamese food. When you walk into anywhere, they give you the westerners menu. Which does help with the communication but the food offered isn't the same as to what the locals are eating when you look around. It was such a fun night, so much food and so many beers. My kids however weren't keen to try the frog. I was hesitant at first but they were delicious. As were the snails and even my daughter got stuck into those.

Now this daily grind thing kind of sucks. I had to make my own breakfast this morning and it sucked too. Not impressed at all to be home...haha!

Z0V6m18.jpg

It's been a while since I've checked out what has been going on here. I've got some catching up to do. Life got busy and I've ben distracted with two wheeled things. I got myself a new toy. I haven't had a dirtbike in over 10 years. But after riding again in Vietnam, I had the bug bad. I picked up this '10 CRF450X in really good condition with a heap of extras. I've been living where we live for about 7 years with dirt bike heaven at my back door step, I've finally got to get a taste of what there is to offer.

20171014_165351_zps4am6gvey.jpg

and because I'm such a hoarder, I still have all my supermoto gear from my last CRF450 that fits this model as well. I've found all kinds of excuses to run to the shops now. ha. It doesn't take long to swap the wheels around to go from dirt to road and vise versa.

20171016_180432_zpsvn6y86ws.jpg

Last weekend was a boys weekend in Phillip Island for MotoGP. Had a brilliant time, the weather was average, all pretty much to be expected when on the Island. The racing was amazing and this time we had access to the paddock on race day which was brilliant.

fmytsNI.jpg

fd39Otg.jpg

I really enjoyed the pre-race air shows. They are amazing. So low to the ground and so loud.

U4RLUpi.jpg

ZF0DmzX.jpg

This weekend though I actually got some mustang time. I had cut out the holes in the lower cowl half some time ago and it was time to patch the up. I decided to close off the fresh air hole as it was rusty and not needed when using a Vintage Air system.

20171027_123957_zpsmifvshuz.jpg

All patched up and epoxy painted ready to refit. Which I did today.

20171028_162440_zpsf3cksqbm.jpg

Yet again, it's been a while. After my last post, I got that cowl welded in and the top side seal in epoxy. Then I had some bad news and everything put on hold. And now instead of working on my 69, I've jumped to another project that I've had put to the side for a while. I got the 69 off the dolly now that the cowl was welded back in place and put the body back on the rotisserie. Which now meant it freed up the dolly.

I remember a while ago I posted I had F1 truck cab and front as well as an Audi RS6 as the donor. Well I got stuck into this to keep my mind busy and to feel good about making progress. It's the one thing with doing body work on the 69, so much time and effort goes into very little visual return. I know all progress is good progress but after all these years, the 69 at times feels like a chore.

So cue my rat rod truck build. My concept is to build the truck so that it looks like it's just been dragged out of a barn or paddock. Except underneath, it's modern day tech that'll be super fast.

Here's the donor

CFI81MC.jpg

MM8myIh.jpg

and the new chassis which is a Bronco, now on the jig. Everything is lining up way better than expected. The chassis is sitting level to the mounting points and most are very close or directly under the chassis rails. It's scary how well it is piecing together.

xUwZA9s.jpg

bk7U3uS.jpg

79CF19E.jpg

and I'm up to cutting off the fat from the Bronco chassis. I'll get some more steel stock on Monday to start fabbing up the cradle mounts.

Once they are done I'm off to the engineer before welding them all in place for good. They just need to be tacked into position for his inspection. But it'll be rolling at that point and then ready to mount the cab.

JFVoZII.jpg

Cheers mate. It's a big one but no where near the scale of the 69. It should be rolling in no time.

Yes, I'm all ok, thanks. One of my best mates lost his wife. She was a good friend since school. It's been tough.

18 hours ago, MAC390 said:

Sorry to hear that.Tomorrow i am going to a help build a retaining wall for a good friend who has bone cancer.

The real good people always go way to early.

Thanks, very much. I'm sorry to hear about your friend too. No matter where you turn these days that nasty C word is effecting someone you know. I wish nothing but the best for your friend and you're doing a great thing helping them out.

18 hours ago, bigmal said:

Very sad news for both of you. I can empathise fully.

On the car side, that is going to be one awesome truck. Can't believe it's less work than the 69.

Thanks, Mal. I appreciate it.

There's no body work going into the truck other than fitting it to the chassis and decking it out. It'll be left just as it is, original, rusty and worn out looking. I'm even hoping I can leave all the rust holes in the fenders.

Awesome work so far, I love build threads and will enjoy watching this one as well, also like the patina look on these old trucks. Are you going to paint it a matt clear or just leave as is?

I got most of the fat trimmed off the chassis. There's more to move around but I'll get to those parts as I progress.

I started on the right side diff mount. It's taken a couple of days but I now have it tacked together. I still need to make the inside gussets but I need to mount the fuel tank before I can assess how they need to be formed.

20171127_182137.jpg

20171128_181227.jpg

20171128_181545.jpg

20171129_110639.jpg

20171129_111047.jpg

20171129_134623.jpg

20171129_134629.jpg

Thanks mate!

No, not at the moment. Full focus on this one. I'll get this rolling on its wheels and then think about the stang again. Maybe. I need that spark lit again.

You certainly are into it. This is one of the most interesting bulids I've seen. I was telling the misses about it an managed to have her eyes glaze over faster than usual. Must be inversly proportional to my enthusiasm.