Ash

Ash's 69 R-code

Ash, if you want that timing cover to look like new get it vapour blasted [ wet blasted with tiny glass beads ]. I had my front calipers done they came up fantastic, I think it would look great if you left it bare- a nice contrast against the black engine.

I had considered leaving it bare, Jet. I've ummed and ahhed about a bit about it, and now you've got me thinking about it again. One of the reasons I wanted to paint it was because it's a bit banged about. Which was a big reason for me wanting to buy a new one. My thinking this week was I'll see how it cleans up and go from there. Which you'll see soon.

Yesterday I also went back to looking at one of the cars original parts, the A/C box. I thought it was no good and had wanted to just use a new aftermarket system to replace it. Seeing as I am working on the cowl next, now was the time to work this out once and for all.

20170729_165817_zpsm1dgakb4.jpg

I pulled the core out and shot some photos to my mate who is an industrial A/C installer to see if he thought it's a bin job or not. He told me to straighten out the fins and it should be fine.

20170729_170508_zpsy09ggwlc.jpg

I found some more nut shells (acorn?) that made their way across the pond. So not only had mice made a home in here, I think some squirrels have too.

20170729_170908_zpsnvav1m9q.jpg

I sat myself in front of the fire for a while slowly straightening out the fins. There were a few damaged ones on the end but otherwise it's all look quite solid.

20170729_200758_zpsi2ngop8v.jpg

20170730_155511_zpss5mdt7hu.jpg

and most importantly my mate said you can see clearly through it, plus it's made properly unlike todays modern cores, it should be good to go. So I think that seals it, I'll restore the original unit and run it.

20170730_155504_zpsoiqqdcaq.jpg

Today I got back to the timing cover. I started out by drilling out the bolt holes for the fuel pump to clean out the crap that was in there. I had some 10mm rod left over from some other job and it will do the trick.

20170730_093847_zpskomicybe.jpg

Clean up the face

20170730_095152_zpsqbmfp1hb.jpg

and cut the filler pieces to size

20170730_100643_zpseicvxu4p.jpg

Welded them up. The furthest back hole that didn't go all the way through had some serious impurity issues and was a bit of a mess.

20170730_102826_zpsxqjyg4hd.jpg

All sanded up but had a few holes to go back to.

20170730_121054_zpskk5u03ne.jpg

Welded them up and then sanded smooth.

20170730_121521_zpsott2hw77.jpg

I sanded down the casting dags on the edges and a few other rough spots. I then hit it in the media blasting cabinet and she then looked like this. Am pretty happy with the outcome.

20170730_142826_zpswln74gxs.jpg

I mocked up the engine a bit with some of the bling parts to get an idea if I should leave this natural or paint it. I'm sold on painting it now. There is so much else going on I think the cover should be black to highlight the other nice parts.

I tried to fit the balancer as well, I have a new Romac balancer that is a nice piece, it's polished chrome. But it did not want to slip onto the crank. It's slightly smaller than the crank snout. Not sure what the issue is here. Did a bit of googling and apparently that can be the case with Romac and Scat cranks. Now I need to find out how to fit it. So the serpentine pulley is just sitting on the crank in these photos to get an idea.

20170730_151531_zpsawx3d5to.jpg

20170730_151759_zpsfl0tfbgb.jpg

Cheers guys.

Earlier in the week I tig welded some plumbing fittings to pressure test the evaporator core.

20170731_155357_zpsmvgdhlzl.jpg

No joy...two slow air leaks

20170731_155343_zpsy1nqci8j.jpg

I had to go to out of town to collect some new A/C parts for my Amarok and while there I discussed some options. There were a few that are similar but it'll come down to a cost comparison to whether redoing the original is cost effective to the Vintage Air options which is roughly $1100 Australian delivered.

I was told to soak the timing cover in the waterborne wax and grease remover to treat the cast alloy for paint prep. I couldn't figure out a way to do this without wasting a lot of the fluid. I've only got the one container and getting more is not a quick option. So I got a spray bottle and sprayed it over and over for a couple of days.

20170730_181630_zpsliy790t6.jpg

It's not a perfectly smooth finish as the surface was not smooth with it being cast, but I think it's fitting with the cast block. It's my first attempt at spraying the epoxy, I've only brushed it on up to this point. We've had some beautiful days weather so it was good time to get it done. Am pretty happy with the result.

20170803_131506_zpsaz2l8kgi.jpg

Cheers, Mike.  That's what I was trying to achieve but I didn't have anything suitable to do it. Good to know though that it works for you.

Have you been getting some painting done on your build too?

Timing cover now fitted. I like it. Please excuse the ugly bolts, I only had the ones that were fitted before but plan to buy new ones. Just not sure where to go stainless or black ARP. I gave these old ones a good few tubs and scrubs before using them.

It took a few goes at aligning it to the crank. It did not take much for the oil seal lip to grab and fold on the spacer. But it is sweet now.

20170805_135958_zpsqc6vravh.jpg

Then I cleaned the deck surface on this side with acetone until the lint free paper towel was still clean after wiping the surface. Then fitted the dowels and head gasket.

20170805_142746_zpsyvoj6um7.jpg

Screwed in the ARP studs

20170805_143830_zpsm0oknapy.jpg

Cleaned the head face

20170805_144329_zpsfrf03wqi.jpg

Then fitted the head. I had to mock up the intake, sump and header as well. This is the first time in many years now of gathering these parts that I have seem them in the actual form of a complete(ish) engine. With only about an hour of decent natural light left for the day, I left it at that and after some pics, wrapped it back up.

I have to say, this thing is just massive. The block is big but seeing it this far it's something else. It's simply huge!

The rocker cover got a quick wipe over but it needs a few hours spent on it cleaning them right up.

20170805_153007_zpsfa5rr70o.jpg

20170805_153143_zpsipljhwus.jpg

20170805_152919_zpsr3zqvytz.jpg

First issue of fitment, the sump does not clear the rear main cap ARP studs. Not easy to see in the photos but the back edge of the stud is outside the back edge of the sump wall. Not sure what I'll do here.

20170805_153120_zpsa3xeabzw.jpg

20170805_153130_zps8zkqsxlm.jpg

Thanks guys.

I think massaging the sump to how far it needs to go is going to distort the top face too much. It probably needs at least 5mm clearance I reckon. I'm thinking I might section it out and then weld in a filler piece. Either way the finish on it is going to be effected. But at this point it'll never be seen.

I've got one other issue of fitment as well. The Romac balancer looks to be about 0.25mm narrower than the crank snout. My concern is if I do get this on by some method, will it ever come off?

I think I'm heading towards the 7th year of my ownership. It's been an on and off thing, mostly off. I've only purchased parts when I have had money to do so and that doesn't happen too often.

Here I am in Louisiana getting into in for the first time along with the previous owner. It's the only time I have ventured out on the road in it.

Thanks, Mal. I actually feel like the light at the end of the tunnel is starting to appear.

P2150029.jpg

Ash:

Were you the Ashley that bought an underdash harness from me in February 2013 and had it shipped to Tennessee?  That person said he was from Ozzie-land and I can't imagine there are too many Ashleys there with a 1969 Mustang, although that person said he wanted to drive it to Los Angeles so it could be put in a container.

Cheers Footcutter!

I've been away for two and a half weeks, back to reality now. The family and I went for a trip to Vietnam. It was fantastic, what an amazing experience. We stayed the whole time in Hoi An. My kids loved it, they were not keen to leave. And neither was I. $1 beers, incredible food and the people there are all very friendly. One of the best things I got to do was a full day bike tour that my wife found. Most people there have scooters, not cars, and nearly all of them are under 150cc. But on this tour there was an option to pay some more and ride either an XR400 or a WR450. I went with the 450. It was just myself and the tour guide too which made it even better. I haven't ridden a proper dirtbike since I last had a CRF450 and that was over 10 years ago. This was a long term itch that finally got scratched and it got scratched well! haha. If only I had packed more than one pair of shoes, I wouldn't have had to spend the of the time there in muddy sneakers. It was worth it though.

21034223_1298582896914094_66285799247932

Sounds like you had a nice break from your regular daily life. You're the third person in two weeks that I've heard that have either traveled to or have plans to visit Vietnam.