Ash

Ash's 69 R-code

Is there enough room to install two additional spiral locks per piston? Seems to me that would be visually really obvious when installing them. Before I removed the pistons I'd call their tech line and see what they say.

Here's a screen shot of the FAQ page, number 2. It reads to me that I'm definitely not the first to make this mistake.

JE%20pistons_zpsbjl6k9cw.jpg

And these are the guys. You can see how slim they are. I fitted 4 in the last one I did and while it is a fiddly job, they do fit.

Spiro%20lock%201_zpsv7l9lktp.jpg

Spiro%20lock_zpsxu4w8yu1.jpg

A big box turned up from the US today. Turned out to be mostly air wrapped in plastic. My kids were a little let down by the lack of surprise. Haha

Even though I have a Felpro gasket set, I've only read over and over their intake gaskets are not reliable on a street engine. These guys by Mr Gasket are supposed to be the pick so that's what I went with.

MrGasket_zpsy6wzdgry.jpg

Absolutely nothing to do with my car, but my kids cracked me up today. I got this card from them....

16864288_270610906685674_521373968419135

The background to that is, I found out after I read it, my gift was two tickets for a mate and I to go see a band that I like is Sydney with accommodation afterwards. That is their take on it, the funny little buggers!!

A new member in our family to teach all about cars, bikes and fishing. hehe

This is my grandson Luke. It's his first day away from Mum and Dad. His grandma sure is happy about that, lots of cuddles going on!

2_zpsaiaxkok9.jpg

6_zps5obmv9c7.jpg

Wow, it's been a few months. I still haven't achieved much of anything except getting all the pistons back out and adding the complete set of spiro locks to the gudgeons. Of course by the end of that I had it down to a pretty quick repetition.

I have been getting lots of car stuff done, just nothing done for myself. Have also been doing the odd TIG job for people here and there which has been lots of fun and useful. You learn something new every time you pick up the torch.

Last week I scored some more parts for my other distraction(dust collector). I got a bargain. It's not pretty and has some rust but it'll stay looking like that, I have no intention on changing. Plus it matches the colouring on my cab that I picked up some time ago.

20170526_094528_zpsf4wfk0wo.jpg

and this is the cab

2_zpsez1aw6ph.jpg

The cab is dated 1950 and was a 6cyl 1/2 ton truck. '48-'52 share the same cab. The front is a '52. All of it is original.

Ooh, you need to snaggle up that '56. Embrace the rust...ha. I think that's one reason why this one excites me, it's not pretty but it took nearly 70 years to look like this. And it'll be one hell of a sleeper.

I wish we could get those here, Ridge. I looked into getting one shipped over when I was trying to decide what to do with this truck. As like you said, it looks so straight forward.

I ended up with a different donor car by chance, an 04 Audi RS6, and plan to use all of its driveline, suspension, steering and brakes. The thing is amazing to drive, all wheel drive twin turbo V8 with 8 piston Brembo's up front.

I watched that episode a little while ago, Bob. I really like what they did. I've been watching a bunch of their other shows too and I like how they go into a lot of detail.

If I could pick any truck from car show's I'd have either Rick's black truck from Rick's Restorations or KC's green 68 F100 they originally did on Fast N Loud.

Okay , going to see the guy with the F100 in 3 weeks time.

Now what about a 63.5 Galaxy 500 XL  406 4speed fastback in raven black., a buddy of mine in Seattle has one for me all there but needs work.

Ash, sorry about  hijacking your thread.

Taking the kids to Disneyland Cal on Tuesday for two weeks.

All good Mac, hijack away. I've never worried about that, clearly by the many pages of dribble in this thread.

Make sure you post some pics of the '56 when you get it home. And that Galaxie too, another one of those all time sexy cars.

Hope you and the family enjoy yourselves! Ha fun

Yet again it's been a while, I've been pretty distracted. I've built the wife another car which is now done. What started a simple engine swap in an Audi that I picked up with a dead motor, turned into a complete body swap that was a wiring nightmare but it is now done, thankfully. I now know more about Audi wiring than ever will be required.

With that job done, it's Mustang time. And with it being school holidays, I've found myself with a new sidekick. My 9 year old daughter has been swinging spanners with me all week and more curious and excited about what is next than ever. It's been fantastic. She's been so enthusiastic that each night before bed she's asked me for a run down on what we will be up to the next day, in what order, what reason and how. We've mostly been working on other cars but yesterday we started on the stang. A while ago I had fabbed up this repair panel for the drivers A-pillar. We sanded the back side, mixed up some 2k epoxy and brushed on 3 coats to it and the mating surface.

20170131_190600_zpsktro58lu.jpg

This morning Lily got straight into it and spent some time vacuuming out the blasting material and dust from the inside.

20170716_104631_zpsktruaxyr.jpg

Then we got into welding on the new panel. Tacked in.

20170716_114657_zps8bsfw1f6.jpg

Welded in with the MIG

20170716_135459_zps7lvrl9hk.jpg

MIG welds sanded down. I had several low and missed points.

20170716_141917_zpsyknuvcpc.jpg

So I touched them up with the TIG.

20170716_143632_zps4juxwmya.jpg

And then smoothed down and finally sanded with 80 grit on the DA. Still a few very low points that the 6" pad didn't touch but they are very shallow.

20170716_145356_zps2x23fgfh.jpg

20170716_145351_zpsq29vicxw.jpg

By the time I brushed on 3 coats of epoxy to seal it, it was dark. Sorry for the crappy photo.

20170716_173806_zpstefltqdi.jpg

I know my work is not up to others who do this often or have lots of experience. But I am pretty happy with the outcome. I think it is quite solid and pretty neat. I've very little experience with this and am still learning as I go. Rusty and Brian, I am sure others will know who I mean, give me lots of inspiration to produce the quality they do. I'll get better at it.