Ash

Ash's 69 R-code

Shudder is completely gone now with the new pilot bush. The clutch action itself is beautiful and as smooth as a babies bum. It's the effort on the pedal that is causing the issue. So much so that in the long term, apart from bending the Z-bar, I feel like I'm going to brake the drivers seat base and back.

The clutch mechanisms on the 69/70 Mustangs are by no means easy. But they require a lot more effort when they're worn out. There are many bushings throughout the clutch linkage. They wear out and often fall out. If you replace all the bushings and lube everything thoroughly with a good grease, the clutch should work a little easier.

Also, there's an assist spring that sits high on the clutch pedal, under the dash. Those also have bushings that get worn and fall out. The spring itself can also be worn. Or, sometimes, people remove them completely. That's a surefire recipe for a very stiff clutch!

When I was in high school and drove a '70 fastback with a 4-speed, my left leg was quite literally a little larger and more muscular than my right. Sheesh, was that clutch stiff!

I hear you on that heavy pedal issue in the 69, my 428 had a 3 prong style pressure plate that was for use on the strip. Not a street friendly pedal action at all! I can safely say it wont be going back in.

I got the 66 clutch sorted today though, here is the culprit on the left. Its the L-bracket that the clutch arm pivots on. A good one and what I replaced it with on the right. You can see it is fair fucked and why the pedal was quite heavy. It's previously been repaired as well which I doubt helped.

IMAG1450_zpsdfa39cef.jpg

It's taken a while but I finally got my hands on a blaster. It arrived this week.

IMAG1451_zps8dd83f67.jpg

I don't know though how long it will be till I get to use it. I did order some wheels last night for the trolley, I found some cheap ones, to wheel the body out of the shed so I can use the blaster. But as if the build wasn't going slow enough as it is, my daughter now requires some surgery on her ears which will be happening in about 3 weeks. She will always take priority so this will take yet another step back. Unfortunately I've passed a bad gene onto my little girl and she has the beginnings of possibly losing the use of both her ears.

Thanks, Klutch. Appreciate that! The first surgery isn't that invasive and should be quite straight forward. It's what follows if things don't improve where it gets serious and life threatening. But we can only hope it never gets to that point.

Hey Ash

I hope all goes well with your daughter.

You are doing an amazing (I sound like Jessica Watson):) job of restoring your car, it is a lot of work I know, but enjoyable. I had to do a lot of the work you are doing too and it seems never ending, but hang in there, it does come to the end and is very rewarding then.

I did everything on mine myself, and when you do, like you, there is great satisfaction when it is finished. Mine took years to finish as I was busy with other things also (stock car racing, motorcycles etc), in the end, you look at what you created and wow what a feeling.

Look at my gallery to see what I started with.

Keep up the good work! and you are right, family comes first....

John

+4 on the well wishes. As much as we complain about the health system here in OZ when things are serious they don't muck about.

Thanks, Lemon. I don't think the people who complain have any idea what the rest of the world is like. We have it pretty damn good for when we get sick or need help. They sure have helped me on to many occasions unfortunately but I wouldn't be here if they hadn't.

Hey Ash

I hope all goes well with your daughter.

You are doing an amazing (I sound like Jessica Watson):) job of restoring your car, it is a lot of work I know, but enjoyable. I had to do a lot of the work you are doing too and it seems never ending, but hang in there, it does come to the end and is very rewarding then.

I did everything on mine myself, and when you do, like you, there is great satisfaction when it is finished. Mine took years to finish as I was busy with other things also (stock car racing, motorcycles etc), in the end, you look at what you created and wow what a feeling.

Look at my gallery to see what I started with.

Keep up the good work! and you are right, family comes first....

John

Hi John, thanks very much! :001_smile: Just looked at your photos, WOW! Your car came a long way. I'm guessing you were living in the US when you built her up? I know there are some big time Mustang fans in Kiwi land. Do you ever plan on taking her back? My wife has suggested a few times we live there for a while. Maybe later in life once our kids get bigger and when shared parenting with our eldest two isn't as such a priority.

+5 on the well wishes Ash. We will be askin the good Lord for His help for sure.

Thanks, Cornerstone. Appreciate the sentiments.

Lily, is booked in for next Tuesday. Am starting to get nervous now as her hearing has deteriorated further in the last two weeks. What I had was quite aggressive and what they found each time they opened my head up was worse then expected. I'm quite concerned with the rate of her hearing loss, hers may be the same as her symptoms are mirroring what mine were. Mine got into my brain cavity and they removed my left ear. She is having issues in both sides and earlier was already given a 1 in 30 chance of having both ears removed. Can only hope it hasn't go to that point.

On a more positive Mustang note, I did pick up some bags of 80grit garnet yesterday so am pretty much prepared now to do some blasting when a chance comes along.

Hey Ash how are things going with Lily, she ok?

Thanks Lemon, yes she is doing very well. Things have gone as good as they could. There are no signs at this point that the condition is there, which was great news. It's one of those nasty things that if not kept on top of, it develops quickly and also can continually return. As the case was with me.

Thankfully, the procedure was quite quick and straight forward, she was up and eating within a couple of hours. She's back at school and her happy usual self except now she can hear! We all know this isn't the end though, it'll be a life long thing where it may go away for years then come back over night. The next few years will be critical as she grows to insure it is kept away and that her inner ear and all the associated cavities and etc develop normally. Any signs they are not, will be the onset of further issues. All we can do is keep on top of it to insure she is able to keep both her ears and that they never need to be removed.

Appreciate you asking :001_smile:

It's going to take me a little while to get back on my feet financially. I've got enough to keep me busy for a while. And with a few things coming to an end soon, I'm looking forward to getting some time, especially now it is daylight savings, to get back into the tang.

Congrat Ash I am glad it worked out well & she is doing good.

Thanks very much, Mike. It's great to have my cheeky little girl back to normal. :biggrin:

Excellent news mate. Good to know she will still be able to hear that big block rumble from down the street when dad comes home.

I can't wait for that day! The two of us were hopeless together. In my truck, I can't hear out of my left and she couldn't hear out of her right so it was forever the two of us saying "what?" Just another reason to take the LHD Mustang, so we can actually have a conversation. :lol:

Even though my 69 is doing pretty much nothing but gathering dust at the moment with life getting in the way as much as it has, I have however made some progress in other areas to help me out. Along with improving some areas of the shed and building more efficient water drains to prevent further flooding like we had last year, today I got my new hoist in place. With a fair slope on the slab, we had to raise the low side and build some foundations for it. All that is left is rebuild the safety wire and have a friend wire it in. Can't wait to test it out. I think the list of jobs I have lined up for it already is about as long as my arm!

I have to thank my Dad, even though I know he will be sore tomorrow, we both put in a fair effort today concreting, moving a heap of timber and putting this up. He's always there to help me out, and always goes beyond what he ever needs to.

IMAG2241.jpg

Hey there Lemon!

No, none. I haven't been able to touch it in many months. But I'll be back into it soon. I've not long ago sold the old family car, brought a 4.6 V8 Explorer. So am currently in the process of clearing out a shed full of parts that I no longer need to make some space to get the Mustang in there to sand blast.

I just to need to finish a trailer that I am building. Should have that done tomorrow as I need to use it the next day. Then it's time to drag the big girl out of the shed.

This is the trailer I'm building. I have done heaps more since this shot, it's mostly closed in now. I got myself a TIG and learnt how to weld aluminium. This has been great practice and it'll come in real handy with the 69.

How about your cars? How's the panel van coming along. I'm sure you've finished by now?

IMAG3875_zpsc0b4d802.jpg

Holy crap, that's nice work on that trailer! So you have been plenty busy then.

The van isn't finished yet, like you I do not have the space in my shed to get it finished. My business has taken all the spare room but I have had some success with the van. All the rust is out of the floors and the cowl vents. Also the toploader I fitted works and shift nicely and the trans tunnel has been repaired around the shifter. Been working on both the stangs as well. Just changed out the complete front and rear suspension on my wife's coupe and been playing games with my mach1. I replaced the carpets in the coupe and will be fitting an alpine audio system in the next few months.

So many toys, so little time. :)