Mike65

Mike65's 69 Coupe build

100_0412.jpg

100_0411.jpg

TZ the first pic is the hardware I used. First I measured & drilled the holes in the outer skin of the trunk, & then drilled down through the inner structure. Then using a hole saw the size to allow a socket to get inside to tighten the bolts to the studs. I used hollow threaded sleeve that is used to make lamps which is sold at Home Depot in the electrical dept as spacers from the outer skin to the brackets I made to attach the studs to the inner structure of the trunk lid, & a washer & a self tapping screw to secure everything. The second pic is of it all assembled. Hope that helps.

Mike.

100_0514_zps6ff1133f.jpg?t=1376958008

100_0515_zpseeb5f9aa.jpg?t=1376855916

Spent a couple hours working on the Coupe today. I finished welding the rear at the tail light panel filler panel, & in the door jamb. I did a little more from the old quarter panel to the new skin, & started in the wheel opening. :w00t:

100_0522_zps86b66c40.jpg?t=1377723399

Took off the rear valance & using Latoracing's suggestion & welding the studs to the flange on the back of the valance to keep them from falling out. I am still not happy with the fit.

55445-tail-lights-has-cap-set-place-rear

Today I removed the rear valance since I was not happy with the fit & messed with it some more. I ended up welding up the holes in the body & re-drilling new ones a little lower so the valance fit better to the body at the ends. Much happier now, so I had to install the gas cap & laid the tail lights in place, installed the quarter end caps & took another pic. 

69SlowResto said:
Looking good Mike! Some really great progress...as always your thread is an inspiration.

Thank you, here is some more inspiration for you.

55446-finished-welding-r-s-quarter-skin.

Finished welding the quarter skin, & in the wheel opening. Grinding is next.

Mike--

Lookin' good!! One thing my friend and I noticed during the fit-up of the lower driver's patch panel is the lesser depth of the contoured area where the rear bumper wraps around. The repop patch panel is only about half as "deep". My friend is quite good with the "magic" hammer and was able to get the desired shape/contour with depth. If both panels are being replaced like you're doing, it's unlikely to be noticed, but because we are keeping the passenger factory panel intact, you can see a noticeable difference. Just something for others to look at when they get to replacing quarter panel patches. We also were having problems with the lower rear corner on the patch side being too low. It's taking considerable hammering and trimming to match up closely to the valance edges. The rear corner of the repop patch seems to be a bit too tall which causes the alignment to the valance to be off at the lower corner. The problem can be overcome, but it's something to watch for. I've read your entire thread and that is some serious sheet metal replacement-- very nicely done. :thumbup: Jim

In between re-arranging the garage & running a new 220V line for the air compressor because I had to move it to make room for my newer/larger tool box I did some sanding to the l/s quarter seam. Nothing picture worthy.

You're still progressing, Mike. Even if it is not directly to the Mustang, it's still all for the Mustang cause.

Is that your dog in the snow? Must be coming back to that time of the year again over there?

In between re-arranging the garage & running a new 220V line for the air compressor because I had to move it to make room for my newer/larger tool box I did some sanding to the l/s quarter seam. Nothing picture worthy.

I was wondering where you disappeared to. Bigger TOOL BOX!! Arrhh!! Running 220 Line for your tools, nice break from the car. NOW back to work!