Mike65

Mike65's 69 Coupe build

Do yourself a favor, temp install the outer wheel house and fit your new skin as well. It is easier to fix the fitment before welding the wheel house in, and having to cut it back apart to make the skin fit.

100_0409.jpg

Thanks for the heads up. I will test fit the skin one more time. In the pic above I had the outer wheel house & the skin fitted & all the body lines seemed to line up pretty well, but that was before the rocker, trunk drop off, & inner wheel house patch was all done.

Do yourself a favor, temp install the outer wheel house and fit your new skin as well. It is easier to fix the fitment before welding the wheel house in, and having to cut it back apart to make the skin fit.

100_0409.jpg

Thanks for the heads up. I will test fit the skin one more time. In the pic above I had the outer wheel house & the skin fitted & all the body lines seemed to line up pretty well, but that was before the rocker, trunk drop off, & inner wheel house patch was all done.

Lookin good man, doing the same thing to mine right now. Not so much cause of rust, but because it was rear ended before I got it and was not fixed right. It does have 2 racing stripes of rust holes on the roof (had a vinyl top). When I say they didn't fix it right, they sculpted the quarters with a gallon of bondo on each side ( didn't even try to pound it out at all).

Thanks for the kind words guys. zstang my Coupe had a lot of bondo on it at the lower corners of the front & the rear of the rear wheel openings where it was rusted out & on the roof across the top of the windshield from a lot of dents. Mine had a vinyl top on it originally & whoever took it off just slathered on 1/2" of bondo to cover the vinyl top molding holes. Are you going to put the vinyl top back on your car?. I probably will be putting mine back on because of the amount of dents that are in the roof.

No vinyl top for me, got about 50 hours in it so far (striping, welding, dollying sanding,) and about 10 hours left till its done. Vinyl tops are ok, just not the look I'm going for.

Starting to come together, and looking much better, nice progress. One other small hint that might, or might not help. The attachment point at the rear of the outer wheel house to the trunk floor drop off, leave it clamped, and unwelded until you get your skin on. I like having the ability to move this area to fit the lower part of the skin and get it fit nice and tight without having to fight the drop off as well. It is easy to weld as your skin is getting fried in place and makes it just a little easier to make it all fit up. It is going to be nice when you're done!!!

Nothing picture worthy just braved the heat & humidity after work & did most of the welding to the r/s outer wheel house. A couple more welds, some grinding & then I will be ready to install the r/s quarter skin. I will post pics once it is on.

55441-welded-r-s-outer-wheel-house-suppo

Today I finished welding in the r/s outer wheel house & started re-welding the inner body support that was welded to the inner/outer wheel house seam that had to be bent out of the way to replace the outer wheel house.

100_0488_zpsae2c7372.jpg?t=1373147180

Today I finished grinding the weld I had done to repair the crack in the center top of the front valance. I am trying to do whatever I can to save the factory front valance.

41660-test-fitting-r-s-quarter-skin-oute

Here is a pic of what I was up to today. Finished welding in the inner support structure back to the wheel house seam, installed & started welding in the quarter skin. When I finish with the quarter skin I will finish welding in the tail light panel which I just had welded across the bottom & tacked in a few places until the quarter skin was welded on.

100_0497_zps7742ac57.jpg?t=1373823806

Today I finished welding the quarter skin to the trunk drop off, at the tail light filler panel, at the "B" pillar, & where the quarter skin meets the rocker panel. I have about 1/2 of the welds done in the wheel opening from the skin to the outer wheel house. Started welding the skin to the old quarter panel.

Great job Mike! Just curious on your decision to flange vs butt weld. I will be doing the same replacement and I was planning to butt weld but maybe the flange weld will be easier? Did you butt or flange the other side?

Cheers

Lee

Great job Mike! Just curious on your decision to flange vs butt weld. I will be doing the same replacement and I was planning to butt weld but maybe the flange weld will be easier? Did you butt or flange the other side?

Cheers

Lee

Hi Lee,

I was told by a few people that butt welding is tough, that flange welding it would be easier & I am not a great welder, so I decided to flange the top area of the skin & slipped it under the old quarter panel. I have not done the other side yet, that comes after I am done with the passengers side. I measured down from the top body line on the quarter panel from front to back about 1" & cut the old quarter panel on that line, then I cut the new quarter skin just below the top body line & then flanged it & slipped it under the old quarter panel & clamped it in place & used self drilling screws to pull the old & new quarters tight to check my body lines. Also by flanging it at the top when I slipped it under the old quarter panel when you look from in the trunk you can't see any flange line because it is all the way at the top. I hope that helps you out. If you have any other questions just ask being as I am a little ahead of you.