Mike65

Mike65's 69 Coupe build

Hey Mike, making great progress!    Some ideas from my experience:

- You may not need some of the wires you have pulled through the firewall.  For instance, the twisted pair purple and yellow wires are for an aftermarket VSS (Vehicle Speed Sensor).  If you are retaining your stock speedometer, you don't need these.  Same if you are using a single wire alternator.  One of the brown wires is for the old style voltage regulator.

Ok, cool.  My VHX dash package came with a 3 wire speed sensor and the required wiring.   My original thought on the yellow/purple twisted wires were to run them with the Neutral safety switch and back up lamp wires, as those are supposed to go through the firewall, and then down the transmission tunnel to mate up with the shifter (automatic in my case) wiring plug.  Since the speedo cable connector is down that way, thought I would route them together, kinda follow the brake line route.  Let me know when you get to that, I am still toying with other options....

Yesterday afternoon after work & this afternoon I mounted the fuse box, hooked up the ignition switch, wiper switch, head light switch, dimmer switch, cigarette lighter, l/s & r/s under dash lights, l/s & r/s door jamb switches, ran the wires l/s & r/s back to the rear interior lights, & re-installed the dash board. 

56991-12-16-17-mounted-fuse-box-hooked-u

Yesterday & today after work I was in the garage working on the wiring again. The wire that runs down the to the r/s rear courtesy light & the r/s of the harness I covered with TechFlex harness wrap. I attached the r/s & l/s under dash light grounds, the relay pack ground, turn signal ground, dash cluster ground,  glove box light, clock, & map light grounds. I purchased the Astro Pneumatic 9477 ratcheting crimping tool that has interchangeable dies for the wire crimps. I also hooked up the lights to the heater/defroster controls, & the ignition switch. 

56996-12-19-17-started-wrapping-aaw-harn

Here is a link to the wire crimper.

https://www.amazon.com/Astro-9477-Professional-Interchangeable-Tool/dp/B0045CUMLQ/ref=sr_1_10?ie=UTF8&qid=1513819333&sr=8-10&keywords=pneumatic+crimper

The AAW harness kit supports a 1 wire alternator up to 120 amps. The only power adder I have is the dual electric fans so I am probably going to go with a 100 amp from Tuff Stuff.

http://www.tuffstuffperformance.com/i-24486495-alternator-100-amp-oem-wire-6-groove-pulley-internal-regulator-black-7716c.html

Today I spent the day in the garage working on the wiring to the dash mounted parking brake warning light. I had to lengthen the wire going to the center mount parking brake warning switch, & add a inline fuse since the AAW harness doesn't have a connection for it. I am going to tap off of one of the accessory terminals in the fuse box & mount the fuse holder by the relay pack & inertia switch.

57008-12-23-17-modifying-wiring-dash-e-b

Mike, all of the AAW accessory connectors are fused.  But, AAW does not supply a fuse/load list.  I exchanged some emails with them, abd have attached what U have come up with.  So, you may not need to use the in line fuse holder.   

I really like the center hand brake and dedicated light

Just thinking now that another option other AAW users could do would be to power the E Brake switch in parrallel with the brake booster warning light, so the E Brake would light up the stock brake warning light on the dash. 

This is the Tan “Brake Warning Light” wire that comes off the harness

03DD803E-55CB-460C-A3FC-BF4C6A926B7F.jpeg

It doesn't say anywhere that they are fused, in fact I read on their site in "info on the classic update series fuse panel" at the end it says "unlike the feeds supplied by the pre-built dash accessory plugs, the auxilliary panel feeds are unfused. It's always a good idea to add an in-line fuse with a appropriate rating." Here is the link; https://www.americanautowire.com/info-on-the-classic-update-series-fuse-panel/  The dedicated parking brake light my car was already equipped with, & I was not thrilled with the foot operated parking brake, I am using one from a 1987 Mustang.

Wow.  Interesting on the fusing.  I think this is referring to if you buy the fuse panel separately instead of with the kit, but I will call AAWW to get some clarification thanks ..,

Yeah the 1987 parking brakes and I set up, I’ve seen others use that

Today I spent a few hours in the garage working on the turn signal switch wiring. I had to cut off the Ford plug & install new terminals & install them into the AAW supplied plug to mate up to their harness plug.

57010-12-24-17-hooked-up-ford-stock-turn

Today I wrapped more of the under dash harness, secured the turn signal switch wiring, installed the lower steering column cover,  & ran the r/s rear dome light wires to the rear.

57012-12-24-17-wrapped-more-under-dash-h

Mike, wiring diagrams....

Run new wires  in place of wires 268, 269, and 270  from heater blower switch connector “B” to blower resistor box connector “J”.  

Run AAW wire number 50 to the wire 257 spot on your heater blower switch connector “B”.    I would use number 10 wire 

In the instrument panel view the heater blower switch is connector number 22, and the resister box is connected number 23

6610C90C-CD90-4423-8645-E71EBA7ECAEF.jpeg

E63A8C0F-B7A7-480C-8FD1-5BA5BEC19B3D.jpeg

8 hours ago, Vicfreg said:

Nice work!   Mike, how do you like that Tech Flex?   I have never used it and need to get some more flex for my build.   Where do you get it from?

going to drop in on this convo. I was inquiring about the flex wrap and a facebook forum member sent me to this guy. he has the best pricing from what ive seen and was also told if you contact him directly, he can make a special order for whatever combo you want and it will usually save you more since youre not using ebay.. Hope this helps out!

http://stores.ebay.com/FURRYLETTERS?_trksid=p2056016.l2563

Wow, Byron, thanks for the link.  Lot's of stuff there to check out.   I know that there are a lot of flex items out there, and a lot of them look the same in pictures, I just need some hands-on recommendations from other users.  I usually buy mine at the Spring swap meet at the Charlotte Motor Speedway, where I can sort through and pick the ones I like.  I am just short on time, and hope to have my car into the paint shop by spring.  I have never used the "Tech Flex" and just will buy some.  Thanks again for the lead.

On 1/6/2018 at 2:29 PM, Vicfreg said:

Nice work!   Mike, how do you like that Tech Flex?   I have never used it and need to get some more flex for my build.   Where do you get it from?

I like it. I got it from Amazon I ordered 4 different sizes, 1/4", 3/8", 1/2", & 3/4". It is a little of a pain to wrap the wiring in the interior on the dash, but it will probably be easier under the hood with nothing in the way. I ordered the sizes in 10 or 20' lengths. The prices in the link bryonbush supplied to the E Bay seller look in some cases a little more then Amazon & on some a little less.

Today after clearing some snow I started wrapping the wires under the hood into separate harness's. I ran out of the TechFlex harness wrap & had to order more so I am at a stand still.

57110-1-9-18-started-wrapping-wires-unde

Today I worked on hiding the wiring that goes from the center firewall hole to the solenoid under the r/s fender.

1st pic, I drilled a 7/8" hole in the r/s rear inner fender panel just below the r/s hood hinge & ran the harness through a grommet & out under the fender.

57111-1-10-18-ran-wires-to-solenoid-acro

2nd pic, Routing of the harness under the r/s fender.

57112-1-10-18-solenoid-wires-routed-unde

3rd pic, Harness re-enters the engine compartment through another grommet in the lower part of the r/s front inner fender panel & hooks to the solenoid.

57113-1-10-18-solenoid-wires-come-back-i