Mike65

Mike65's 69 Coupe build

Removed the rest of the r/s torque box.

100_0645_zps9a87d0a8.jpg

Did a rough cut of the r/s toe board, now I just have to do a fine cut with the cut off wheel & figure how much or little of the r/s outer frame rail section I need to replace. I did notice on the repo toe board it has a flange pointing down where it would weld to the inner rocker, but the torque box will be in the way so I will need to trim the flange off & just weld it to the back of the torque box the way the factory had it done.

100_0644_zpsecb01802.jpg

I flipped my flange over so it was pointing up instead of down and then welded the toeboard to the rocker using the flange. It was annoying. I'm sure either way works fine.

100_0652_zpsa53ff0da.jpg

Now that I have gotten all of the r/s torque box out I discovered some more rot, not bad but it was hidden by the flange of the torque box. The rot spot is at the lower front corner of the r/s inner cowl panel just in front of the vent opening. Time to fab a piece to repair this.

It's always interesting how and where these cars rust. when I did my PS torque box the cowl area was fine but the inner rocker below it needed to be replaced. Go figure.

X's two on this. It's weird they rust in unpredictable places sometimes. My Dad's 70 MACH 1 had rust in typical places that would lead you to think "well if that's rusted then I know this area will be toast" but that wasn't the case at all. Toe boards, windshield channel, front torque boxes, front floor pans, had rust. The cowl looked great :confused1:

In response to a request from 69stanggt who needed the hole placement for the vinyl top trim on a 69 Coupe I am going to post pics & dimensions here in case anyone else needs the info. First my 69 Coupe was a Metuchen, NJ built car built on 11/25/68.

1st pic, general hole placement

55466-100-0661.jpg

2nd pic, hole placement where molding wraps around back of roof to meet the wide bottom black rear window trim.

55465-100-0662.jpg

3rd pic, shows how I laid out the tape measure to measure out the hole placement.

55463-100-0668.jpg

4th pic, 1st hole 13 1/8" back from edge of quarter panel & up 1 1/4" from top quarter panel ridge line.

55459-100-0664.jpg

5th pic, 2nd hole is back 7 3/4" from 1st hole & up 1 1/2" from top quarter panel ridge line.

55461-100-0666.jpg

6th pic, 3rd hole is back 8 11/16" from 2nd hole, & up 1 7/8" from top quarter panel ridge line.

55461-100-0666.jpg

7th pic, 4th hole is 6 5/16" back from the 3rd hole & 2 1/8" up from the top quarter panel ridge line.

55458-100-0663.jpg

Hole diameters are 3/8".

55465-100-0662.jpg

8th pic, the three holes that the small molding fits into that runs back to meet the wide lower molding the wraps around the outside of the rear window. This pic shows how I laid the tape measure to measure the distances to each hole.

1st hole, closest to the rear window is 3 3/8"

2nd hole, middle hole is 6"

3rd hole, farthest from rear window is 7 13/16"

Mike-- Thanks for the photos and dimensions. To clarify-- are your hole measurements to hole centerlines, or just to the hole edges?? I was surprised to see the factory holes were that large. I haven't yet determined if the project coupe had a vinyl top added later or if it was a factory vinyl top car that had the holes filled at some later time. My guess is someone added an aftermarket vinyl top without holes since there's no evidence of factory holes that we can find. Again- thanks. Jim

Edited by 69stanggt
clarification

Jim,

The holes are measured center line to center line. Sorry about the fuzzy pics, I was trying to do it in the garage with a drop light & could not get a good focus with the camera.

Mike.

Mike-- JT and I worked on the vinyl top molding hole locations this afternoon. We used your dimensions to get started and then did minor adjustments to get good lines with the moldings slid into stud holes. We also went with smaller-- around 1/4"-- holes and then adjusted with a rat tail file. After setting all four pieces and the lower rear window molding in place, it was looking good. Thanks for your help with this. Forgot my camera again. I need to get some fresh pics with the car all in primer. JT is very pleased with how straight the body panels are now. We bought the Winter Blue paint and satin black paint this week. So we're getting close now. I'm looking forward to seeing the coupe in Winter Blue. Again-- Thank you, sir! Jim:thumbup1:

After work today I spent some time in the garage & cut out the rotted rear section of the r/s outer frame rail. I have to clean the inside & rust proof it with Master Series silver.

55467-removed-rotted-section-r-s-outer-f

I cut a patch piece from a repo outer frame rail on the right, & the rotted piece I cut out is on the left. Notice how much has rotted away from the l/s lower rear section.

55468-cut-patch-piece.jpg

Today I drilled the pilot holes to begin drilling out the spot welds for the r/s floor support which was also rotted out which I need to remove before I can repair the r/s outer frame rail.

55469-removed-r-s-front-floor-support.jp

Today after work I did some serious work on removing the r/s floor support. I finished drilling out the spot welds holding it to the floor, & I had to slice it down the middle & in half so I could access the 5 spot welds that hold the cross member to the floor support. All that is left of the r/s floor support is the front inner section.

Crafty metal surgeon at work. Looks like your removing all the cancerous material and prepping for new metal "bonding". Prognosis is getting better and better!! :yes: You're doing well Mike. Keep it up!

A milestone of sorts, but now all the reassembly is needed in cramped quarters. JT done good!! jim

WOW!! it has been 2 months since posting anything about the car. I took some time off because it was just to darn hot to be crawling around under the car, but started doing some more yesterday. I have some grinding to do on the engine compartment side of the r/s frame rail & then fit the new floor support. This weekend will be cooler so pics should be coming.

Update; while grinding the engine compartment side of the rear part of the frame rail I found more bad metal so I ordered & just received this frame rail patch piece where the frame rail meets the firewall. The weather should be cooling off this week so I should be getting back out in the garage & getting back to work on finishing up the sheet metal work.

55471-frame-rail-patch-piece.jpg

Spent a little time in the garage today & cut out the rotted section of the rear section of the r/s front frame rail that was behind the floor support.

100_0788_zpsab352bf8.jpg

Took the patch piece I bought & cut it to fit the rear section of the r/s front frame rail.

100_0787_zpsc478adf9.jpg

I just have to do some finish grinding to the patch & the frame rail to get the patch to a perfect fit & then I will weld it in. I also test fit the new floor support.

Mike you're doing a lot of work brother. Keep at it. Maybe someday we'll be driving these things around!

Thanks, that is the plan. I am hoping to have the metal work done by the spring time.

Today I got in some garage time & I cut out an area in the r/s cowl side panel just in front of the side vent opening that had some rust damage & also got beat up when removing a section of the toe board & old torque box.

100_0792_zpsbc9fc924.jpg

I also started drilling the holes for the spot welds in the r/s front floor support to get it ready to weld in.

100_0791_zpsec1808de.jpg