Mike65

Mike65's 69 Coupe build

100_0610_zps71856c10.jpg?t=1393015277

Finished drilling out the spot welds on the l/s front inner fender panel & removed it.

100_0611_zps0d9bbdad.jpg?t=1393015312

Now that the inner fender panel is out I ground down the l/s shock tower front upper flange, & traced out the patch on some sheet metal stock.

Looking good. :thumbup1:

I have the same spots to replace on mine. The rest of my inner fender panels are ok except for big spot on top where they join like yours. I was thinking of just patching the spots. Do you think it would work to just patch both layers with a thicker piece of steel?

Looking good. :thumbup1:

I have the same spots to replace on mine. The rest of my inner fender panels are ok except for big spot on top where they join like yours. I was thinking of just patching the spots. Do you think it would work to just patch both layers with a thicker piece of steel?

Look at my post above #223 where I cut away the top of the rear inner fender panel to get at the shock tower upper flange that was rotted. After I fixed it I made a patch for the top of the rear inner fender panel & welded it in. Look at my pic below you can see where I cut away the top front section of the rear inner fender panel to get at the rot. I will make a patch for that spot too.

Mike.

I cut the rot out of the front of the l/s shock tower upper flange & made a patch. After that I cut out the rot in the rear of the upper flange & made a patch for there.

55450-welded-l-s-shock-tower-upper-flang

Welded in both patches.

100_0616_zps49f5ae3c.jpg?t=1393195843

Today I temp installed the l/s front inner fender panel with some sheet metal screws to check how the fender bolt holes lined up with the repo inner fender panel, all looked good time to weld it in.

Thanks Mike,

I was afraid to buy that one from CJPP because in their photo

the apron appears very wrinkled. But yours looks beautiful!!!

I think I will buy that one too!!!

The one in the pic is from a 65/66, you have to click on the drop down menu bar to get the 69/70 & then look at the pic because it changes.

Today I decided to do a little wrenching on the Coupe today. I received a new export brace from a member here so I figured I would see how far off the shock towers are & they are back & in by about 1/2-3/4" in & back. I also found the shock tower brace on the drivers side has a small bend in it & approx. 2" crack in it at the bend point.

55452-both-shock-towers-lean-1-2-3-4.jpg

I had to straighten the lip of the cowl where the shock tower braces bolt to, it was bent down a little not allowing me to bolt up the export brace. Bolted the export brace to the 4 holes on the lip of the cowl to see just how far the shock towers have sagged in.

Man, I just went through your whole build! Awesome work. I have that same welder....nice little welder for this kind of thing.

I'm going to end up redoing a floor in my trunk, rear tail light panel and door skins sooner or later. its nice to see this and good inspiration too!

Man, I just went through your whole build! Awesome work. I have that same welder....nice little welder for this kind of thing.

I'm going to end up redoing a floor in my trunk, rear tail light panel and door skins sooner or later. its nice to see this and good inspiration too!

Thank you. The welder is awesome, it has done everything I have needed it to do.

Today I had some free time after work so I decided to pull the intake, valve covers, & loosened all the head bolts. I am going to pull the engine on Sat. I want to jack up the f/e of the car without the weight of the engine in it to see if I can get the shock towers to return to their normal position so I can bolt up the export brace so it will keep them where they belong before cutting out the torque boxes to replace them.

55455-100-0641.jpg

Had a visit from the UPS guy, he brought me yet another piece of sheet metal. This time it is the r/s outer frame rail. I need about 6-8" of the wide end to repair the frame rail.

Looks like you might need to replace the floor support as well. Mine wasn't quite that bad, but it can be fixed. I don't know if you are having to put any of the floor pan in, it would be fun to replace that floor support from the bottom side.

Todays progress, removed the rest of the front of the r/s torque box.

55456-removed-r-s-outer-front-torque-box

55457-started-removing-r-s-toe-board.jpg

Started to remove the r/s lower portion of the toe board which will take care of the rest of the torque box. Looks like I will only have to replace the right half of the toe board that has the back part of the torque box welded to it. It has a rot hole in it that started from up near the heater box & it ran down to the floor seam which was probably from a leaky heater core.