Mike65

Mike65's 69 Coupe build

Today I spent a few hours in the garage hiding the wires that go from the factory main harness hole to the front of the car for all the lights, & the horn. 

1st pic, I drilled a 7/8" hole in the l/s rear inner fender panel just below & forward of the hood hinge & ran the harness through a grommet out under the fender.

57115-1-12-18-drilled-7-8-hole-l-s-rear-

2nd pic, I drilled a 7/8" hole in the lower part of l/s front inner fender panel & ran the harness back into the engine compartment & through a hole in the lower l/s of the radiator support to the front of the car.

57116-1-12-18-drilled-7-8-hole-lower-par

3rd pic, All the f/e lighting wires & the horn wire temp hanging in place until I can install the f/e sheet metal  so I could cut the wires to length & install the plug ends.

57117-1-12-18-all-front-lighting-wires-h

Dude, you are making some serious progress.  I am headed to that front end picture you have...  not sure if I will do all of the headlight/parking light/fog light/turn signal wiring now, or after the car is painted and put together.  What are your thoughts?

I am thinking about doing it now, the less I have to do with fresh paint the better. In the next week or so I am going to take the fenders down from where I have it hanging from the ceiling & temp mount them so I can cut all the wires to the proper length with the connectors & plug ends & then just zip tie them to the radiator support to keep them out of the way. I am ordering the Pertronix Digital Ignition Box today & I am thinking of mounting it next to the cooling fan relays. I moved the fuel pump relay off the inner fender panel & it will be mounted on the panel I made under the dash with the AAW relay pack, & I am moving the inertia switch to the trunk.

Mike, I attached the Pertronix DHP Manual.  I used the wiring on Page 22, as I was using a Pertronix III distributor.  So, depending on what kind of distributor you use, you may need to change your wiring from what I have done, which is shown on the attached block diagram.  Also see Page 7 of the manual.

I numbered all the wires I connected, so I could keep track of them.  So for the Pertronix Box, I used "P" and then a sequential wire number.  So my wiring scheme was:

P1 - Heavy Red

P2 - Heavy Black

P3 - White

P4 - Violet (not used)

P5 - Green (not used)

P6 - Small Red

P7 - Black

P8 - Black/White

P9 - Light Blue (not used)

P10 - Dark Blue (not used)

P11 - Yellow (not used)

P12 - Grey

P13 - Red/Black (not used)

I cut/capped the not used wiring 

I called Pertronix about power feed and the ground, as I was originally going to feed the DHP box from the AAW harness..  They insisted it be connected directly to the battery, so I hooked my large red wire to my front power terminal block (aka PDRS on my diagram).  I used AAW wires #121 (tachometer), and 3F (Key on hot) in my wiring of the DHP box.   

The block diagram also shows the interface with the distributor wires and coil wires, which I ran my own wiring for.   The AAW #121 wire is also shared with "FTBL1" on my block diagram. This is the FiTech Tachometer input signal which is a blue wire on their harness.  The #121 wire on the dash side runs to my VHX box, instead of the AAW dash connectors, as I am not using a stock dash.   

I did follow the Pertronix instructions on separating the trigger wires from the potentially noisy ones.  The trigger wires on my diagram on the coil negative (black) and the tachometer wire (grey).   I kept these separately routed best I could.

Hope this helps. You can call me or PM me when you get the box.  I set it up on my engine test stand and it ran great. You can program it hooked to a 9v battery. Really easy to use, but some setting are critical to avoid issues with fuel injection systems if you are going that way.

Pertronix Digital HP Manual.pdf

image.png

Oh, the little boxes with an "I" in them are 'Connectors" that I used.  As many of the ignition box and FiTech system signals are shared, I used connectors to do this.  The "I" is just my way of remembering they are associated with the Ignition ("I") system.

Today I moved the fuel pump relay to the interior mounted on the relay panel under the dash with the AAW relay pack & the EFI inertia switch & mounted the ignition box next to the cooling fan relays & started running the wires.

57175-1-18-18-installed-ignition-box-sta

Assume you ran it over the wheel wells into the trunk?   I don't have my rear window regulators installed yet, was wondering if you had yours in, and if there was any interference with the wiring harness running through there....

Yes, I have the rear window regulators & the window runs in. I ran the harness behind the "L" bracket that attaches the window run to the top of the rocker panel then up over the outer wheel house & into the trunk. I did not find any interference. I ran the harness behind the window run so that when the window rear windows are down there is no chance of the regulator rubbing on the harness. On another item I have most of the wires from the ignition box run to where they need to be except for the gray P12 on your list, & small red P6. Going by the diagram in the Pertronix manual for the dist I am going to use with the Ignitor II the gray wire P12 goes to the interior to the tach gauge, & the small red P6 that has to go to the dist & 12v ignition switch if I am reading it correctly I would need to splice another wire to the small red one to go to the interior which I could hook to a switched 12v feed in the fuse box, correct?.

Hi Mike, thanks for the tip with the rear window wire routing. I was hoping that would be the case. As far as the Pertrinix wiring goes, I believe I sent you a block diagram that shows which AAW feed I used for the key on hot small red wire. I believe I used the red “ignition” wire from the AAW harness. This is because you need to have power to that feed into the coil and Pertronix box when you’re cranking the car not just in the on position.

I think I figured it out, the AAW pink wire 3F says in their directions this is your 12 volt switched power source for the dist, so going by your spreadsheet the small red wire P6 gets hooked to the AAW wire 3F which is a little heavier pink wire which says on the wire ignition feed-coil & also gets hooked to the dist +. It states in the AAW wiring directions that the pink wire 3F would be used as the ignition power source for an aftermarket ignition module like the one we are using, correct?.

Hey Mike, I’m traveling on business, So going from memory here.. But I believe you’re correct the 3F wire  (pink) should be the ignition wire that’s key on hot that goes to your coil and the ignition box. The number 121 wire I believe is the tachometer wire.   Your fuel injection system may also need both of these wires. I’m sure I had to use the 121 wire to the tach signal for my fuel injection.  

There should be a block diagram in my spreadsheet of the Pertronix wire hook ups    Look at the spreadsheet tabs I believe one of them says block diagrams 

You can call me tomorrow evening East Coast time if you want to chat about it that would be fine you can PM me for my number

Yesterday & today I did some more of the wiring.

Pic - 1, Hooked up the power wire to the washer pump,

57274-1-28-18-hooked-power-wire-to-washe

Pic - 2,  Hooked up the wire to the brake system warning light,

57275-1-28-18-hooked-up-brake-warning-sw

Pic - 3,  Hooked up the wires to the horns.

57276-1-28-18-hooked-up-wires-to-both-ho

Hooked the power wire to the cooling fan relays.

Today I used my last vacation day so I spent a few hours in the garage doing more wiring. I hooked the power wires to the plugs for the l/s & r/s hi & low beam headlights, & the l/s & r/s turn signals.

57285-1-30-18-hooked-up-wires-to-plugs-l

6 hours ago, RPM said:

Last vacation day??? But it's not even February!

The company I work for runs their calendar year starting from the beginning of Feb so I had to use it by the end of Jan.

This week I went back over the connections at the grounding block & the connections at the power distribution block & covered all of them with heat shrink tubing to protect them.

57376-2-9-18-covered-connections-groundi

57377-2-9-18-covered-connections-power-d