Mike65

Mike65's 69 Coupe build

10 hours ago, unilec said:

Looks like your making steady progress, well done.

Thanks. Today was a 1 step forward, 2 steps back kind of day. I wanted to install the kick panel fresh air vent assemblies, l/s went in no problem, r/s not so lucky. Had to remove the dash & the heater box to be able to install r/s air vent assembly, & then reinstalled the heater box.

While the dash is out I made a mounting plate for the AAW main wiring harness relay pack & the fuel pump cut off switch. I am not using the factory parking brake, so I bolted the mounting plate in that spot.

56919-mounting-plate-aaw-main-harness-re

Today I took advantage of the mild weather & rolled the Coupe out of the garage & welded the reinforcement plate on the underside of the trans tunnel for the center mount parking brake.

Here is a pic of the reinforcement plate I made after I welded it on yesterday.

56928-11-29-17-center-parking-brake-rein

Today I welded on a reinforcement plate cover that I made to keep out any debris. I also welded on 2 bolts to the cover so they would stick up through the floor so I could bolt the parking brake handle to.

56929-11-29-17-center-parking-brake-rein

Here is a pic of the parking brake handle bolted in.

56930-11-29-17-center-parking-brake-inst

Hey, nice steering wheel in that!   I have been following you all along on this. Good luck on the wires, it looks bad, but maybe it is easier than it looks.  I am big on the factory wires. 

I have offered this to others who put so much work into these cars. If you want an MP3 input on your radio, I will do it for free. I feel it is a small part that I can contribute to your project. If you use the factory radio from the 1970's like I saw in the photos, I can convert it to have a MP3 input, if you want.  I can do it now or later.  No cost just ship it to me, and i will modify it and ship it back to you.  I just want to show my appreciation for all the work you are putting into this. 

Great job on it. I cannot imagine the effort.  One of these years I will have the time to tackle a project like this.

I have both style columns,  and the connectors are the same.    For 1970, obviously the ignition switch is mounted on the column. So AAW provides an adapter harness to fit the 1970 column. 

For the steering columns, the tilt does have a different turn signal switch assembly than the standard column.  

15 hours ago, danno said:

By the way, that looks like a tilt column. Is it?  Those take special wires that your harness probably does not have. What will you do about that? 

Dan, no it is a fixed non-tilt column.

Yesterday I started fishing the wires through the firewall into the engine compartment. NOTE:  Put the smaller firewall grommet over the wiper motor plug after you run the wiper motor wires through the firewall & then put the grommet into the firewall since the wiper motor plug doesn't fit easily through the grommet. 

56956-12-10-17-started-fishing-wires-out