Mike65

Mike65's 69 Coupe build

Did I hear finished with the floor?! Way to go! I had to replace far less than you, but I know it felt great to be able to sit inside and not have my feet on the ground. Great progress!

Thanks Tgriffin91, no more Flintstones car. Today It was in the low 90's so very little welding. I welded the patch for the lower rear section of the l/s door post, & the patch for the l/s outer cowl cover where it meets the inner cowl panel by the torque box.

53177-8-10-16-welded-patch-l-s-lower-rea

53176-8-10-16-welded-patch-l-s-outer-cow

Today after work I spent a couple hours eliminating what I hope is the last of the rust through spots on the l/s door post just below the upper door hinge.

Here is the area in question.

53202-8-17-16-rust-through-spot-just-bel

Cut out the bad area.

53203-8-17-16-cut-out-rust-through-spot-

Here are the patches to repair the affected area.

53204-8-17-16-made-2-patches-l-s-door-po

Wish I had your energy and drive. Impressive.

Thank you, but at 58 Y.O. I only have enough energy for a few hours work on the Mustang each day as long as it is not to beastly hot. My goal is to have it running & driving by its 50th birthday which will be 11/25/2018, which gives me just a little over 2 years to do the suspension, steering, brakes, engine & assemble it. If it gets painted by then that will be a bonus.

Today I painted the steering column tube & the 2 turn signal switch housing pieces. I also got about 1/2 of the old undercoating off the inner fender panels & the shock tower.

53304-9-3-16-painted-steering-column-tub

Assembled the steering column as far as I can go, I am waiting on the upper bearing.

53314-9-5-16-assembled-steering-column.j

I also finished removing the old undercoating from the l/s inner fender panels, shock tower, & firewall, & drilled the holes for the Shelby/Arning upper control arm drop.

53315-9-5-16-finished-cleaning-old-under

Mike, really nice work, you are putting some serious hours into that car this summer.   I just did the steering column rebuild.  Make sure you get those small foam pieces that go in the end of the tubes.  They are doughnut shaped, and there is a small one and a large one.  They keep air from blowing up through the steering column when you are going down the road.  I did not do this in my 1968 and on cold days, I notice it.   Replacing the bearing is the way to go.  You can still get the original Ford part. Getting the snap ring back in can be tricky.  Nice job!

Thanks Vicfreg, a couple hours a day despite the heat I have been plugging away. Today I finished assembling the steering column.

53339-9-10-16-steering-column-reassemble

I also finished removing the old black paint from the engine side of the l/s shock tower, rear inner fender panel & both frame rails.

53340-9-10-16-finished-removing-old-blac

For the past 2 weeks I have been trimming & fitting the pieces of the R/S shock tower reinforcement kit, now they just need to be welded in.

Today after work I started removing the old black paint from the firewall.

53432-9-23-16-started-removing-old-paint