Mike65

Mike65's 69 Coupe build

I also started drilling the holes for the spot welds in the r/s front floor support to get it ready to weld in.

100_0791_zpsec1808de.jpg

Hey Mike, do you know how thick the steel is on those floor supports? Just curious.

Bob

I also started drilling the holes for the spot welds in the r/s front floor support to get it ready to weld in.

100_0791_zpsec1808de.jpg

Hey Mike, do you know how thick the steel is on those floor supports? Just curious.

Bob

Bob

Bob,

I measured the steel on the floor support with a digital micrometer & it reads .095, also measured with a tape measure & it reads 1/16". Hope that helps you out.

Bob

Bob,

I measured the steel on the floor support with a digital micrometer & it reads .095, also measured with a tape measure & it reads 1/16". Hope that helps you out.

That torque box looks pretty good ,the last couple of welded boxes i did were welded together crooked and i had to drill them apart and put them back together again .I started buying the unwelded boxes .

That is an unwelded one.

Started welding in the patch on the r/s front frame rail.

100_0794_zps2a7aa45a.jpg

I been watching your build and admire your perseverance. My only suggestion is in areas like your FR patch. Use small stitch welds, one inch or so. Use the same idea where you move around a lot to let the area cool as you slowly connect them. You need full penetration in these areas and those small tacks that you would normally use replacing body panels aren't getting it. You also don't need to worry so much about warping, so stitch welds are ok.

Otherwise carry on:biggrin:

As a birthday present to myself I spent a couple hours in the garage yesterday especially since the weather was nice & sunny & the temp was in the mid 50's. I pushed the Mustang 1/2 way out of the garage & did some welding to the l/s front inner fender panel where it meets the shock tower & the radiator support.

100_0808_zpsa4cad934.jpg

100_0809_zpsf27deb50.jpg

You will find those aftermarket export bars differ from the good bars though ,they just do not fit quite the same way as an original or the better tooling bar .

I do not know who made this one but the metal is thick & I believe it was originally purchased from NPD.

Since the weather finally turned crappy & I can't work on the Coupe outside anymore I am doing what I can in the garage. I am moving the e brake from under the dash to a Fox Mustang trans tunnel center mount e brake. I didn't want to cut up a factory 69 Mustang console so I sold it & purchased a console off e bay from a 1974 Mustang II which already has the cut out for the e brake handle. I had to fab the mounting brackets which I did today. Next thing I have to do is mount the console fitting it to the shifter opening in the floor so I know where to mount the e brake handle.

100_0817_zpswhomwtns-1.jpg