Mike65

Mike65's 69 Coupe build

What I have one in the past for an out of round hole in the hinge is o go to the auto body store & find larger bushings, drill out the hole & install the larger bushing & pin. Problem solved!

Hey Mike, I replied to your post on my Blackberry this morning and somehow a thumbs down showed up in the reply. I guess I fat fingah'd a key.

Sorry Man

I figured it was just a typo. LOL!!!

Today I spent about 1 hour working on some issues with the Coupe, 1st I trimmed the new r/s trunk drop off to fit & 2nd being the repo inner wheel house is NOT the same contour as the repo outer wheel house I couldnt use it so I just cut a patch piece from it to repair my almost perfect original inner wheel house which had only a 1"X 2" rot hole in the front lower section where the inner & outer wheel houses meet, so I will patch it. I will get some pics on Monday & post them then.

Getting there. Does the body line at the front line up well with your dooor? The rear body line looks good! Did the wheel opening lip fit up to your outter wheel house with out alot of drama? I am interested on how the out of box fitment was, but it does look good...

Getting there. Does the body line at the front line up well with your dooor? The rear body line looks good! Did the wheel opening lip fit up to your outter wheel house with out alot of drama? I am interested on how the out of box fitment was, but it does look good...

This side the fit from the quarter skin to the new outer wheel house is better on the r/s as opposed to how it fit on the l/s as in less of a gap between the two, the body line at the door is low by about 1/8". I will have to try to repsoition the outer wheel house a little higher & then try to refit the quarter skin to get the body line to match to the door better. I want it to look as close to perfect as I can get it before I weld it in. The out of the box fit was fairly good except the section of the quarter skin between the back of the door & the front of the rear wheel opening where it welds to the rocker panel is made a little long so it needs to be re-bent to get the body line to match up.

Mike.

Today I spent about 1 hour in the garage, removed the new quarter skin & outer wheel house. I got a little better fit of the outer wheel house which I think was preventing me from getting the body lines to match up on the quarter skin & the new door skin, & reinstalled the quarter skin & now it is a dead on match, I am very happy now. Time to weld.:thumbup1:

jandj1970 said:
Mike65 could you show a close up picture of the quarter skin repair work please, how much of the old quarter skin did you leave on mate . And will you mig weld it ? Ive got a 70 mach1 where both quarters need to be replaced.

100_0512_zpse37c95c6.jpg

Her is a pic after I removed the quarter skin leaving about 2" left below the top body line so I had enough sheet metal to screw the new quarter skin to to do my test fits & I will not do the final cut until I am happy with all the body lines matching. Then the final cut will be about where the black line is drawn on the old quarter panel, & I will cut through both panels giving me a good butt weld fit. I will hold the new panel flush with the old panel with butt weld clamps & MIG weld it. Hope that helps.

Mike.

Rolled the Coupe out of the garage today for a couple hours & cut out the rotted spot on the r/s "B" pillar at the bottom where the quarter skin wraps into the door opening area at the bottom. I cut out about 1" in & about 6" up from the rocker panel & started fabbing up a patch piece to weld in before welding on the new quarter skin. Pics to follow in a couple days when I get the patch piece finished.

100_0407.jpg?t=1345807372

bth_100_0418.jpg?t=1354656439

Here is my first winter project, restoring the console I purchased to install in my Coupe. I cleaned it up, replaced the console pad, & the console box. All that is needed is the console plate & I have to make a harness for the cigarette lighter & it will be done.

Mike.

Good work, Mike! Do you have any before shots?

I need to get one for mine but at going rate of $1200AUD, it can wait until whenever one pops up for much much less.

Ash, Unfortunatly I have no before shots. The black was faded & needed to be re sprayed, & the console box was broken thats why I replaced it & it was missing the lid. Check out VMF under 69/70 parts for sale maybe someone has one they can sell you.

I've looked at a few and know the condition you're talking about. I've been a bit unsure about them but its good to know they come up pretty good. I think I'd prefer to go that way to a repro one.

Unfortunately the killer is the postage to Aus, it blows it right out of being worthwhile. One will turn up one day, I think it'd be better of grabbing one when I have a few large items to ship via slow boat through my importer.

Thanks for sharing the photo though!

bth_100_0424_zpseddec0a5.jpg?t=1355698532

Here is a pic of a before & after of my old 68 GT wheels I have had laying around for 20 years. I had them on a 68 GT Coupe & painted them the same color blue as the car. I am thinking of putting them on my 69 Coupe. So after sanding off the surface rust & a couple coats of silver paint. I painted them silver instead of the argent they were originally painted because they look almost like chrome wheels.