Mike65

Mike65's 69 Coupe build

Well it was a nice sunny day today so I got the Coupe out of the garage & snapped a few pics

This is the area that I cut out the rotted metal from the "B" pillar at the rocker panel

.35888-after-removing-l-s-quarter-skin-fo

This is the same spot with the patch piece Ifabbed up fitted in place to get ready for welding.

35889-test-fitting-fabricated-patch-piec

Test fit the new outer wheel house & quarter skin for the r/s.

35855-test-fitting-new-r-s-quarter-skin.

I got new outers, both quarter skins and a taillight panel back in april and haven't had time to work on the car yet. Where'd you get yours? I got my skins at CJ and the rest at Mr. Mustang. Curiously watching your progress.

Edited by RacerX

35857-new-l-s-door-shell-quarter-skin.jp

35856-r-s-door-shell-new-door-skin.jpg

First pic is with the new door shell & l/s quarter panel skin installed, & the second pic is with the new door skin installed on the old door shell. Next up is the r/s outer wheel house, & the r/s quarter skin.

Today I started cutting the r/s rear quarter panel off in preperation for replacing the r/s skin & outer wheel house. As soon as I progress to the point where there is a noticable change I will snap a few pics & post them up.

I started my restoration on my 69 mustang and I need a few panels, is there any way I can get a list of those guys that have donor cars for parts as well. I'm in need of the rear transition panel that has the rear shock mount panel. Any ideal on where I might find this piece for a reasonable price?

100_0401.jpg?t=1343761769

Here is the r/s trunk corner after removing what was left of the r/s quarter panel skin in prep for fitting the replacement skin.

I removed the remainder of the quarter skin at the rocker panel & as I started sanding the rocker panel found a couple rot holes that I will have to patch. I cut a couple pieces from some sheet metal I have, one for the r/s & one for the same area on the l/s. All that is left to remove of the old quarter panel skin is the section that is in the door opening, that comes Friday as long as I don't go to the beach.

Well Friday has come & gone & I didnt get to the section of the quarter skin in the door opening, it was just to darn hot (93 degrees). I did cut off most of the outer wheel house. Drilled all the pilot holes for the spot weld bit in the inner body brace where it welds to the seam of the inner & outer wheel houses. If I can get it out in the sun I will take a pic & post it.

Today I spent about 1 hour in the garage with my soldering torch heating & scraping off the old undercoating from the inner wheel house & what is left of the out wheelhouse. I couldnt work any longer then that as it was 85 degrees & humid.

55439-removed-rest-r-s-quarter-skin-most

I got all but the top portion of the outer wheel house where it is welded to the inner wheel house cut off. I next have to cut off the rotted section of the trunk drop off & the rest of the outer wheel house & test fit the new outer wheel house & quarter skin.

Looking good. Your tail light pannel turned out nice. Hope the weather is starting to cool off a little. It is alot of fun to work in 93 degree weather with 100% humidity. It has been well over 90 for the past month here in NC. Keep cool!

Today it was a nice comfortable 74 degrees so I rolled out the Coupe & spent a couple hours cutting out the rotted section of the trunk drop off, & starting to remove the remaining section of the outer wheel house.

55440-after-removing-r-s-quarter-skin-fo

I also was able to remove the remaining section of the quarter skin in the door jamb area to get ready for the fitting of the new quarter skin, except I found some rot at the lower section of the "B" pillar just like I had on the other side. Time to pull out the piece of sheet metal & make a piece for there.

100_0408.jpg?t=1345662613

Today I finished removing the remainder of the old outer wheel house, & test fitted the new outer wheel house. Next to be fitted is the trunk drop off & the quarter skin.