Mike65

Mike65's 69 Coupe build

Mike, I just did a google to see what 50 degrees Fahrenheit was, 10 degrees Celsius :blink: What's a bad day for you? That's quite cold for our area, our bad winter days sounds like your good winter days. Today we had a 30 degrees Celsius day which is 86F for you. Felt hotter then that as the humidity was very high.

You're making some nice progress. Must be a great feeling to be getting close to putting some paint down. I'll have to remember about the 3M wheels you've used, looks like they do a fantastic job!

Mike, I just did a google to see what 50 degrees Fahrenheit was, 10 degrees Celsius :blink: What's a bad day for you? That's quite cold for our area, our bad winter days sounds like your good winter days. Today we had a 30 degrees Celsius day which is 86F for you. Felt hotter then that as the humidity was very high.

You're making some nice progress. Must be a great feeling to be getting close to putting some paint down. I'll have to remember about the 3M wheels you've used, looks like they do a fantastic job!

Ash,

Typically where I grew up in northern NJ a bad winter day would be 0 - 10 degrees F & windy, or snowing. In northern NJ we would usually end up with one or two snow storms os 2-3 feet at a time during a winter, so 50 degrees F & sunny is a great day in the winter here in southern NJ, which is usually a little milder then northern NJ & usually a lot less snow. I am trying to take advantage of the nice winter weather & get as much done as possible. Usually in the summer we will have some 90 degree F days through July & August.

Ash,

Typically where I grew up in northern NJ a bad winter day would be 0 - 10 degrees F & windy, or snowing. In northern NJ we would usually end up with one or two snow storms os 2-3 feet at a time during a winter, so 50 degrees F & sunny is a great day in the winter here in southern NJ, which is usually a little milder then northern NJ & usually a lot less snow. I am trying to take advantage of the nice winter weather & get as much done as possible. Usually in the summer we will have some 90 degree F days through July & August.

I can't even comprehend what that would be like to live in, such a different climate to here. But we are hoping to experience it before too long, looking at doing a road trip in an RV across a fair chunk of your country, either in Nov/Dec but is now looking like it'll be Feb next year as it's a fair bit cheaper to travel at that time.

Hope the good weather continues for you anyway, get lots done!

I can't even comprehend what that would be like to live in, such a different climate to here. But we are hoping to experience it before too long, looking at doing a road trip in an RV across a fair chunk of your country, either in Nov/Dec but is now looking like it'll be Feb next year as it's a fair bit cheaper to travel at that time.

Hope the good weather continues for you anyway, get lots done!

i remember moving to south GA.. thinking man.. we are so close to florida the weather will never get cold... well i have acclimated to the humidity and august heat.. so when it gets down to hi teens or low 20's i am no longer used to it.... feels crazy cold.... we stopped working on my car a couple weekends ago because it was 23 outside... and the little heater couldnt keep up...

i remember moving to south GA.. thinking man.. we are so close to florida the weather will never get cold... well i have acclimated to the humidity and august heat.. so when it gets down to hi teens or low 20's i am no longer used to it.... feels crazy cold.... we stopped working on my car a couple weekends ago because it was 23 outside... and the little heater couldnt keep up...

Chelby-Ann said:
Hey Mike;

Man your post/pix look just like my project. Excellent job Mike.

Thanks Bill, its comming along. We had a couple days of mild 55 degrees days here in south Jersey so out came the Coupe & I cut the upper lip off the quarter skin & fitted & screwed it to the lip I left on the face of the old quarter panel, & clamped it. Looks like it will need a little tweaking for a better alignment to the door & the rear qaurter extension before I weld it in place. But for the most part it looks good I am happy with the fit & finish & thickness of the re-pop metal. Now off to the welding supply store for the gas for my newly upgraded welder. I went from flux core to MIG.

Hey Mike;

Man your post/pix look just like my project. Excellent job Mike.

Thanks Bill, its comming along. We had a couple days of mild 55 degrees days here in south Jersey so out came the Coupe & I cut the upper lip off the quarter skin & fitted & screwed it to the lip I left on the face of the old quarter panel, & clamped it. Looks like it will need a little tweaking for a better alignment to the door & the rear qaurter extension before I weld it in place. But for the most part it looks good I am happy with the fit & finish & thickness of the re-pop metal. Now off to the welding supply store for the gas for my newly upgraded welder. I went from flux core to MIG.

100_0370.jpg?t=1330180267

Well time for an update as I havent posted for a few weeks about my project. I ordered the new door skin for the r/s door for the Coupe. I ordered the Dyncorn door skin & with CJ'S 20% off sale it was only $119.00 & N/C for shipping. I also ordered some sheet metal for repairing the tops of the rear inner fender panels & the tops of the shock towers where they rot out where the inner fender panels overlap. As soon as I recieve the door skin I will post some pics.

CJ's 20% sales seem to be a great time to buy. I noticed they have them pretty often too, should be a good thing to hold out for and get what you need at once.

Look forward to seeing how you go getting the new skin on. Should be warming up more over there for you to be getting out and stuck into it.

Good progress Mike. How does your rear extensions match up after installing the tail light panel and rear quarter ?

The rear extensions on these cars never did line up that good even from the factory. Mine line up pretty good to the tail light panel & I am still messing with the quarter skin to get all the body lines to match before I weld it in.

Update on the r/s door, I finally received the door skin & installed it today, looks good. Now I just have to weld it on, I also have to figure home to fully crimp the lower portion of the door skin over the shell. I also had pulled apart the r/s door hinges to rebuild them before hanging the door. The top one came out great, the bottom the holes are out of round due to the hinge being bad for so long. That one is going to require some work so I do not have to buy another one.

35856-r-s-door-shell-new-door-skin.jpg

I finally got a chance to hang the r/s door after replacing the door skin. I did notice the lower left corner needs a little work, otherwise I think the fit is quite good.

Today I spent a couple hours cutting out a piece of rotted metal from the lower l/s door jamb "B" pillar by the rocker panel. I fabbed up a piece from some metal I had. Sorry I didnt take any pic, but I have a little more fitting to do & before I weld it in I will snap a pic & post it.