Sign in to follow this  
RyanP

Deciding on a powerplant

It will be a while before I pick up the next project (A '69 coupe restomod) but I'm trying to plan everything out ahead of time.

For a while now I've basically decided on dropping a fairly stock 460 in with a manual transmission and just enjoying the cheap but amazing power from it.

I'm a huge manual tranny fan...

Then I realized I'm still thinking trucks... new to this car thing. So I started looking at what manual transmissions I could bolt up for cheap. Correct me if I'm wrong but it looks like there is no cheap way to get a manual transmission behind the 460 that is practical for car use (not a truck tranny like the np435).

So now I'm thinking about just taking a C6, swapping a full manual valve body in and bolting that up along with a ratchet shifter such as the TCI outlaw. Having a fun shifter migghtt get my mind off the fact I don't have a 3rd pedal.

Also thinking about ditching the 460 idea and using a 390 FE (I am an FE fan, although I like to destroy them) so I can use a manual transmission but I have no idea what my options are for manual tranny's here. Not sure if they're any better. I'm seeing "top loader" come up in my research... but also seeing those are NOT CHEAP!

Any input would be great!

Thanks

To go with a 4 speed behind a big block you will need a toploader. I don't know of any other car 4 speed that Ford used that will hold the power.

Also. there are different transmissions between small block and big block toploaders, the big block tranny having a larger input (and I think output) shaft.

The bellhousing is seperate from the trans, so the same tranny would work for FE or 385 series engines, you just need the correct bellhousing and flywheel components.

There are probably 5 speed or 6 speed trannies available, but the price is going to be high.

I have a toploader in my car with a 429, but it is just a matter of preference whether you go with stick or auto.

There are a lot more aftermarket parts for the 460 than there are for the 390, and the 460 will make more power per dollar. It is not a big deal to put a 429 or 460 into one of these cars, contrary to what some people say.

Tim

I don't think there is a car guy alive that doesn't like to lift a hood and see a big block, they are impressive and powerful just not fun to work on when they are shoe horned into a little car. For my money if I was building a street car that I want to handle and corner as well as go fast in a straight line I think with todays great add ons a stroked out 351 and a 5spd is the way to go, with all kinds of aftermarket aluminum go fast goodies to stay lean as well mean they just can't be beat and when they are dressed to look as stock and boring as possible with hidden exhaust cutouts and maybe even a hidden shot well all you are missing is the sleeper granny paint job and hubcaps to be king of the road and leave the import guys wetting in their diapers.

I would agree with all of the above. I have a FE big block and certainly like it being different. But it is a complete pain in the neck to work on if I ever have to do any thing with it. I am in the process of some changes, and if it wasnt for changing transmission, exhaust, and a few other things I would have gone stroked 351. However, I am building the FE up and keeping everything else in place. GOod luck, sounds like a fun project either way!

You need to think about what you want out of the car, but also consider what comes with the car you get. I have had 5 small block cars over the years, and now I have FE powered big block car. I currently have a 69 fastback with a 302 and a 69 Mach 1 with a 428. Small blocks are easy to change plugs on, and I put the headers on the fastback in about an hour with no help. Also, since it is a automatic car, there was no linkage to mess with when putting the headers in. On my FE car, I cannot even see over 1/2 of the header bolts, I have to take off the valve covers to change spark plugs, and parts are more expensive. As far as weight goes, if you use an aluminum intake, aluminum heads, and an aluminum water pump, the weight of an FE would probably be about the same or even less than that of a stock 69 small block when stock with iron heads and intake. Power wise, the FE is for sure more fun when builds are roughly the same, but it does cost more. I don't have any experience with putting a 429 or 460 into a Mustang, so I can't speak to that. I do like PAC's sleeper idea with a 351W though!

Thanks for all the input!

So it seems toploader is the only way to go with any big block. I think a toploader is out of the budget... making the decision easy to just go with a C6 with manual valve body, shift kit and ratchet shifter. I'm looking at the TCI outlaw, it looks fun enough :yes:

I actually just sold a recently rebuilt and bored out real 428 that I bought for $100 off craigslist as a "390". Side story... he told me he knew it was a 390 not a 360 because it was way faster than his 360 powered truck. I wonder why!

So If I'm going to be running a c6, I may as well drop a 460 in as planned. I have a 429 in my off-road race truck and it weighs twice as much as a mustang and it hauls the mail. I can only imagine having a 460 in a mustang.

Sounds like they arn't fun to work on in there and from the pictures I can see why. But It's a Ford you only need to open the hood to show it off!

I'm with the other guys, I think that a 351w with a toploader and some aftermarket goodies would be a great idea. That's what I am going with in my car simply because I don't want to be so nose heavy and according to my Dad the car drives a ton better with the lighter engine and its not so hard to get traction. I am also a huge FE fan and if they were not so heavy and hard to work on that is what would be in my 69. The 427 in our Cobra replica makes tons of usable power and torque and is very fun to drive but that car is pretty much centered around the engine (weight distribution is almost 50/50 with the front of the engine being completely behind the front wheels).

Hope this is helpful,

Drew

Edited by 1969mustang

351 based engines are slow :)

:yes:.... They make good Boat anchors.....

RyanP, If your set on dropping that 460 you may want to notch the shock towers to allow some working room in the engine bay.

Surprising how much space can be had with a little cutting and plating on them without a drastic amount of fab work or cost.

Yeah, nothing like standing there at the corner waiting for that 11 second car to pass so you can cross eh? :stuart:

I'll take a good ole fashion 390 over a 351 (as far as boat anchors are concerned) anyday!

I appreciate the replies... You guys really have me thinking.

I hadn't put too much though into weigh bias in cornering and such. I don't want it to corner like a turd. Maybe I will build a small block and then be able to run stick shift after all...

I just love the idea of dropping a 460 in with only a couple bolt on goodies and having the power that I want, for super cheap.

Where is the battery located in the mustangs?

Trying to think of things I could relocate to the rear of the mustang.

I want to drop the car an inch or two, and stiffen up the suspension so it corners well. I wish I could afford some aluminum heads. The aluminum intake wouldn't help that much, not as much of a boat anchor intake as the FE!

hmm

I'm thinking 302... but not sure I can afford that amount of engine building that I am thinking would be required to meet my power desire...

Are junkyard/craigslist manual transmissions easy to come by for the 302?