Sign in to follow this  
Big Secz

Contemplating Selling...

I see people continue to miss the point. I'm fine with people saying that the car isn't worth what I would like to get for it. That's not what I took issue with.

I don't know. I see you taking issue with a number of things.

Anyway, I'm out. People get emotional about their personal cars and it's like talking politics after that. Best of luck.

...I like your mods.. And Pak was just kidding; that's just who he is.

I agree, I think your mods have been excellent. I've been modeling my '69 resto to look similar to yours!

As far as car sale goes, I wish you the best with whatever you decide. It's been pointed out numerous times that the economy sucks... not the best time to sell anything. But hey, if we were looking to maximize our dollar we wouldn't be into classic cars, would we? Do what you enjoy and don't look back. Good luck Secz!

Pak,

If you want to banish me from the site, then feel free. I've been an active member in this forum since '09 and made nearly 470 posts. If I'm going to be banished simply because my taste in cars doesn't fall in line with what other people like or feel I should like, then frankly this isn't the element for me and I guess I grossly misjudged this forum and the members.

Dude Chillax! It seems it was obvious to everyone but you that I was totally kidding. When has anyone on this site other than the obvious spammer been banned by anyone, particularly me?!?!?!? If you haven't figured that out in 4 years and 470 posts than you aren't the only one who has misjudged here and my bad I guess for thinking you would take that comment the way it was meant. No one here is ever going to try and make your decision for you but some times people don't truly make up their minds until they realize everyones opinion just happens to be different than theirs and no matter the outcome we would all respect YOUR decision in the end.

When someone asks for an opinion the worst thing any true friend can do is lie to them and tell them what they want to hear instead of being honest and true friends would in turn respect that honesty rather than let it casue a rift between them. Ever see someone with a real ugly haircut or clothes or bad breath or whatever and think to yourself, boy their friends should really tell them? Well that's what happens when the friend just grins and nods with exceptance and says "Oh yeah, no, no that that really uhm looks good."

Opinions are just that, opinions. I guess it was my fault for even mentioning "Eleanor" when asked what my next project was going to be since I already knew what the majority opinion was on that. I understand everyone has their own preference, but it has happened in the past where it seems if you don't agree with the majority then you are ostracized because of it.

Mustangs have always been a passion of mine since I was a kid, and that passion was fueled when I saw "Gone in 60 Seconds" and made the decision then that I wanted to build that car. I discovered quickly that this car has a love/hate relationship with Mustang enthusiasts. You either love it or hate it, and the majority seem to hate it.

Our cars are representations of who we are. Just by looking at my current car and building a "clone" of a car that was never built, it's easy to see that I tend to go against the grain and care less if other people approve or disapprove.

I made the decision to let the car go because I can't justify throwing more money at it that I will never get back out of it, and it will still never be the car that I truly wanted to begin with. I don't mind putting money into a project, even if some think its ridiculous, if I know it's a car that I intend on keeping for a real long time.

This thread was initially started to get opinions on the market for '70 convertibles since there are so few on the market it's hard to gauge values for these cars. You see prices all over the place for the few that are out there. So I was hoping to get some feedback on personal experiences in selling these cars and was not intending to turn it into yet another bash "Eleanor" thread.

I'm asking $18k for the car that I already have over $24k in and that doesn't mean I'm expecting someone to give me $18k for it. I have a bottom line price that I am willing to accept that I think is more than fair and I'm willing to hold out until I get it. I don't have to sell the car, but I want to sell the car.

So if I "overreacted" then I'm enough of a person to admit it and I apologize to the group for it.

I don't know too many people who say "I sure am glad I sold that really nice 70 mustang vert I had." From your responses, you seem to be passionate about the car and that tells me you should just keep it, simple enough. It's your baby so do as you wish, but I say keep it.

Just for the record and some clarity, when I first saw Gone in 60 seconds I loved Eleanor too. The movie came out in June of 2000 and I finally bought the classic Mustang (or a reasonable facsimile there of) that I always dreamed of in July of the same year, that is not a coincidence. The 67' Shelby GT500 has always been my dream car and I thought Chips modifed custom take on it was awesome, it was truly unique and one of a kind just like your car is now, at least until Wookie finishes his anyway, lol. For a brief time I felt as you did too. What I hate about Eleanor and unless I'm mistaken what most of the antieleanor people do too is that it suddenly went from being a unique one of a kind custom car copied by just a couple of people to an almost mass produced model and it was even worse when it was revealed that Unique Performance and Doug Hastings were churning out these $200K title washed replicas made from 13 gal of bondo and prison labor and that's if you were one of the "lucky" people to actualy receive a finsihed car after prepayiing in full. It left a bad taste in the mouth of the Mustang community that I personally can still taste from time to time. Do I still love the movie and the car that is in the movie and watch at least part of it almost everytime it is on TV, hell yes. Do I feel the same way when I see one at a show though, sorry I don't, and even more so when it is a poor replica with that horrible oversized hood scoop on it instead of the original Shelby one with just the nostrils sealed up. I do feel better about them when I see convertible versions or even different colored ones with slight changes to the scoops or the details and I'd love to have a "go baby go" button in any car I own.

Hey if it's your dream then I say go for it and I'll be the first in line to help you make it come true any way that I can but if you honestly ever think that your current and totaly unique going against the grain so called "clone" of a car that was never built compares in any way to building yet another Eleanor accurately described clone then I'm sorry to say you are wrong. There are a lot of sheep in that herd and it will be a representation of who they are, not who you are.

I for one am glad you don't care what people think and I personally love to see dreams come true so I hope you feel free to post a progress thread on yours once you start to make it happen. I for one promise to keep any negative posts out of it and if you would like this thread locked and an end put to this discussion so you can move on just let me know and I'll be happy to do it but I hope it is clear that in all the world this is surely one place that if you don't agree with the majority then you are NOT ostracized because of it.

Edited by Pakrat

Pak,

It's all good. Dust has settled.

I agree with you that seeing carbon copies of cars diminishes the uniqueness of them. When I first got my 'vert three years ago I scoured the net looking for ideas and at that time I could only com across very few '70 verts with the Boss treatment. I have since seen them grow. Not sure what has triggered the popularity of it.

I like you am a fan of some of the changes Foose made to the car and my goal is not to have one that looks like everyone else. Starting with a different color scheme. A good friend of mine restores Mustangs (in fact has been the one to do all of the paint/body work on my current car) and has built an Eleanor. His reaction was similar when I told him that I wanted to build one as well. But he has offered to help me through the process. Like one poster had said, it's about the journey for some people with these cars, and frankly the journey I have had with my current car has been a memorable one. I'm just ready to start a new journey and move on from this one.

It's all good. I guess between tire kickers and getting beaten down on price by my current cars previous owner, and what happened here it just pushed the wrong button.

Kool and the gang baby, really glad to hear it! :thumbup1: And do yourself a favor going forward and just say you are building a 67/68 fastback RESTOMOD when you talk about it and leave it at that, should eliminate 2bit opinions from anyone but the purists and you'll get that from them with even the slightest deviation in your paints orange peel anyway.

Kool and the gang baby, really glad to hear it! :thumbup1: And do yourself a favor going forward and just say you are building a 67/68 fastback RESTOMOD when you talk about it and leave it at that, should eliminate 2bit opinions from anyone but the purists and you'll get that from them with even the slightest deviation in your paints orange peel anyway.

Lesson learned.

Hello Big,

I am glad to read that the air is a lot clearer on this post.

We have talked many times and I have always understood

that while you have a passion for the Vert, it is NOT your

dream car. I say go for it and build what you like and love.

As you know, I recently finished helping drop a 350 in a

62 Lark Vert. Not really my favorite car to work on and I

do NOT see the beauty of the car. The owner is so proud

and loves his car. The point is - -it is his car and if he likes

it - -that is all thas matters.

I think there will always be people that do not share the same

likes and dislikes but that is why they make so many flavors

of ice-cream.

So while others may offer suggestions and ideas keep in mind

that the flavor you select is yours.

Hey PAk, good to see you still messing around on this forum.

Maybe we can meet this summer if you head down the Boston way

or perhpas I will meet you at Rockingham in Salem if you ever attend

those shows. My wife and I like it there and we attend most week-ends.

I forget how far up 93 you are BUt it would be cool to put a face

to a name.

Be well ALL - -work safe - - Print Dad

Hey PD,

I am determined to put the full court press on my car this year as soon as Spring hits which by the looks of it could be early despite what that darn Groundhog says. I'm not actually up 93 at all, I'm in Exeter NH at the junction of 95 and 101 and still working in Canton Ma just south of Boston so I pass thru it every day. We'll definitely have to arrange something this year at all costs as I am really hoping to do more than spectate at some shows and my local cruise nights by the summer.

Hey PD,

Glad to see you drop in. It could have been worse...I could have said I was going to build a replica of the '67 fastback from Fast and Furious Tokyo Drift and drop a Nissan Skyline motor in it, LOL...I'm sure that would really go over like a pregnant pole vaulter...

Hey PD,

Glad to see you drop in. It could have been worse...I could have said I was going to build a replica of the '67 fastback from Fast and Furious Tokyo Drift and drop a Nissan Skyline motor in it, LOL...I'm sure that would really go over like a pregnant pole vaulter...

See, now that I would kinda like to see, preferably if it was Dynacorn body though but talk about different and unique.