Sign in to follow this  
1969mustang

My 1969 Mach 1 Restoration

Hey guy I thought I would share with you my car and progress with it since I just joined the forum. The car has been in the family since 1980 when my Dad bought it out of a junk yard with a tree going up through the hood for $65 (because the guy he bought it from was a Chevy said and said that's all the rear end was worth). After that he bought a 1970 Mustang with a 302 and C4 and put it in the car and drove it for a while. Then he decided he needed a little more speed when he found a wrecked 69 mach 1 with a 390 and toploader 4 speed. After that the car had a 428 cobra jet in it and then a 427 center oiler and then a 351w. After about 20 years and 2 wrecks (and some crappy bondo patch jobs) we decided to restore it and do it right. We started tearing the car down in the mid 90s for restoration. After the tear down the car sat for a while. My dad got a good deal on a 427 Cobra replica (well it was just a frame and body and some suspension) and we just happened to have an original 427 to go in it. We managed to finish it in about 14 months and spent some good father son time doing it. So now where back to work on the 69. Were done with all of the body/paint work that we helped a very good friend with and were half way done with building my 351w to go in the car and were still working on it but showing signs of progress finially! I will post pics of the Cobra and some current ones of the Mach 1 when I figure it out.

Edited by 1969mustang

Thanks! I'm pretty much keeping the original look on the outside although I went from the original jade to black and I'm doing gold mach 1 stripes. The interior is also going to be the stock mach 1 with wood grain and center console. Going with vintage air system so maybe I can keep the black cool. The car originally came with a 351w and fmx. I'm going with a toploader 4 speed and 351w with eagle forged 4340 bottom end, RHS aluminum heads, comp cam XE284, edelbrock performer RPM air gap intake, and still haven't decided on a carb. Its got a 9in rear with 3.70 traction lock. Since we've got the hard work done I'm hoping to get it finished before Crusin the Coast in Biloxi,MS this year. This past year we went, my dad took the cobra and I took a 70 RS Camaro. We had tons of fun. I've never seen so may old cars at one time in my life!

Edited by 1969mustang

Thanks,

Right now I am waiting on my new power brake booster and master cylinder to come in, going to put those in and them start running my new brake lines. While in the process of that we are finishing up assembling the engine, I just got some new parts for it. I try to work on it every chance I get on my days off. I'm just glad to see the car progressing. I'm ready to drive it!

Thanks,

Right now I am waiting on my new power brake booster and master cylinder to come in, going to put those in and them start running my new brake lines. While in the process of that we are finishing up assembling the engine, I just got some new parts for it. I try to work on it every chance I get on my days off. I'm just glad to see the car progressing. I'm ready to drive it!

Test fitting the intake and valve covers. Not much seems to be going my way. The valve cover bolts that came with my ARP fasteners kit are not long enough for the aftermarket valve covers. When I put the intake on (which was one of the first Performer RPM air gaps made) it didn't fit. First the intake would not go down over surface on the head where the valve cover gasket goes, so we filed a little bit off of the edge to make it clear. Now the bolt holes will not line up and does not look like shaving it or drilling out holes will do much good. Then when test fitting the Moroso Oil pan and pick up tube from summit racing I discover that the oil pan would not go all of the way down because it was hitting the brace on the pickup tube. I really didn't expect this to happen after asking the Summit rep. if he was sure that was the correct pick up tube to go with the oil pan and he assured me that it was. I modified the bracket on it and it fits fine now. Also checked the depth of the pickup with clay. None of this was very surprising with the way my luck goes. Maybe everything else will go a little smoother lol.

You would think something like a Moroso pan and pick up would be a straight fit. I'll remember that as I was recommended one for my engine too. Bit harder for me to send it back though if it arrives with issues. I can get them here but they are much dearer!

You going to go with another intake though?

The oil pan that I ordered was a Moroso street/strip pan and I really like the design of it because it is T shaped at the bottom to allow 7 quarts of oil and not be hanging to close to the ground. It also has a cover over the sump part of the pan to keep all of the oil from going to the back of the pan during hard acceleration. The problem I ran into was the brace hitting that piece covering the sump. I'm not sure if this was a summit racing confusion issue, or a Moroso problem.

I am not sure what I am going to do about the intake manifold. I really like the RPM air-gap design. I believe that the problem was in the casting of the intake manifold. My dad purchased the intake within a month after they came out a few years back. I wish we wouldn't have waited so long before installing it and then drilled holes in it. Oh well, I guess I am going to buy another one. I thought it may have been an issue with my deck height or my RHS heads but its not. I put my factory intake on there and it fit perfectly. I may see if edelbrock will work with me but I doubt they will since its been so long since I purchased it.

Drew

I'm doing my best to avoid just that. I've been grouping each component I remove with their own plastic bag of nuts/bolts/screws/washers etc. I know I'll forget what is what later so hopefully this way it'll help piece it back together. I'll have all the photos to help as well.

Have you any more to do to the body? Or is that all just to be pieced back together as well?