Sign in to follow this  
1969mustang

My 1969 Mach 1 Restoration

I'm doing my best to avoid just that. I've been grouping each component I remove with their own plastic bag of nuts/bolts/screws/washers etc. I know I'll forget what is what later so hopefully this way it'll help piece it back together. I'll have all the photos to help as well.

Have you any more to do to the body? Or is that all just to be pieced back together as well?

That's a very good idea Ash! That is what I always do when I disassemble something but I did not take this one apart haha.

As far as I know I should not have any more body work to do (I hope!).

So far I am focusing on getting the engine in and running, then planning on moving on to Vintage Air and interior.

Looking good and coming along nicely ! I see you have the intake on, what was the final solution ? Did Edelbrock help you out ?

Well Edelbrock still has not got back in touch with us. Last we heard they told us that their would be no possibility of getting money back but they may replace the intake. We took pictures and sent them to a rep so now we are just waiting. I decided to go ahead and buy a new intake from summit racing that is the same part number (7581) as the old one and it fits perfectly. If Edelbrock ever does send me a new one I am planning on putting it in the box that the new one from summit came in and sending it back to get my refund.

Maybe it will work out. If not I guess i've wasted 200 bucks.

That's a very good idea Ash! That is what I always do when I disassemble something but I did not take this one apart haha.

As far as I know I should not have any more body work to do (I hope!).

So far I am focusing on getting the engine in and running, then planning on moving on to Vintage Air and interior.

I'm really looking froward to seeing it come together. You're where I would like to be sooner then later, it's great motivation to follow!

It'd be great to see if you post up what you do with you A/C. I'm still considering what to do with mine. I have an A/C car, I can't recall if yours was too? But I have no under bonnet A/C parts. So far I'm thinking I might have a go at positioning the compressor where power steering pump goes and converting the power steering to an electric pump system. That way the compressor is down low and not on top of the motor and you can pretty much place the electric power steering anywhere you like.

Thanks I am too!

My car did not come from the factory with A/C so im going with an aftermarket kit. So far I am planning on using Vintage Air but I could end up changing my mind. I like the idea of having a clean looking system with all new parts especially in my Black car because it gets pretty toasty and humid here in the summer.

I have also thought about mounting my compressor low out of sight but I am not sure I am going to go through with it. I will most likely end up putting the compressor wherever it is recommended just to make things go smoother.

As for electric power steering I do not know much about it besides that my truck has it on it but it does seem like a good idea instead of the leaky factory system. As of now I am using manual steering on mine because that's what the car already has and is in good shape. Although one day I may end up going with an aftermarket kit.

Hope everything is going good on your project,

Drew

We've got the same thing here, Drew. Hot and Humid in summer and a black car is only going to make it worse. It's going to be a must have.

This is the type of thing I've been told people are using. They are quite compact, easy to install and quite cheap. Very easily obtainable too being from a Vauxhall Astra. I think it'd be worth having a tinker with to see just what can be done and to keep the minimum in the engine. Also less drag on the motor plus no leaks like you mentioned!

http://www.ebay.co.uk/itm/Astra-G-Mk4-1-4-16v-Z14XE-Power-Steering-Pump-1998-2005-/260967819746?pt=UK_CarsParts_Vehicles_CarParts_SM&hash=item3cc2e4e9e2

Still digging into mine, life got a bit busy the last few weeks but still enjoying every minute of it. Slowly but surely!

We've got the same thing here, Drew. Hot and Humid in summer and a black car is only going to make it worse. It's going to be a must have.

This is the type of thing I've been told people are using. They are quite compact, easy to install and quite cheap. Very easily obtainable too being from a Vauxhall Astra. I think it'd be worth having a tinker with to see just what can be done and to keep the minimum in the engine. Also less drag on the motor plus no leaks like you mentioned!

http://www.ebay.co.uk/itm/Astra-G-Mk4-1-4-16v-Z14XE-Power-Steering-Pump-1998-2005-/260967819746?pt=UK_CarsParts_Vehicles_CarParts_SM&hash=item3cc2e4e9e2

Still digging into mine, life got a bit busy the last few weeks but still enjoying every minute of it. Slowly but surely!

That's a very cool idea Ash! Hope it works out for you. I'd really like to see some pictures if you end up going that route.

We again attempted to put the drive train in the car tonight with no success haha. We made it to the clutch and pressure plate and as soon as we started torquing the bolts down to 35 ft. lbs, which we though was the proper spec for the bolts, we broke a bolt off in the flywheel. After we drilled it out we moved on to another and it started stretching so we just decided to buy some new bolts and find out the proper spec for sure.

Will do, Drew. But I can't take credit for that idea as I'm just copying from what I've seen others do. But I will be sure to post up what I end up doing.

My Dad would be very envious of your shed, he's always had a soft spot for Cobra's!

Something not quite right about those bolts. Glad you didn't go any further, you'd hate to forever be unsure about bolts that do such a critical job. It would forever be in the back of my mind every time I'd put my foot down.

Those rocker covers sure are sexy!!

They are really going to suit the black car well, I really like them!

I sure am envious though of how much space there is between the heads and the shock towers, you could actually fit more then a couple of fingers down there compared to my 428. I replaced a right hand header gasket yesterday on the 351W on my F150, it is so much easier with room to work with and only 8 bolts!

Where to from here? Have you already got the diff and tailshaft sorted?

Thanks! I was also surprised by the room but I'm sure it will get tight once I put the headers and clutch linkage on there. My dad told me that they are very tight with a big block in them. He was telling me about having to jack the engine up and all kinds of stuff to get the headers in there. He always talked about how much power and torque that the cobra jet had! He thinks ford rated the horsepower wrong because of insurance purposes.

Next were planning on getting the engine ready to break in and getting a drive shaft cut to the proper length. We rebuilt the rear end a few years back with 3.70 gears and limited slip. I'm hoping I can hear it run soon! Then maybe a little spin! Still got a long ways to go but I'm getting closer.

Edited by 1969mustang

Have you got someone to build you a shaft? My car had a new shaft built for it just before I arrived in the US to buy it. I can dig out the receipt for you if you like and tell you where and how much. From memory if was quite a good price for what was done.

To give you an idea of how tight the big blocks are, I had to remove my heads to undo the header bolts. I tried and tried every which way, lifting, twisting the motor but still couldn't get to the bolts. This was with Hooker Super comps and Edlebrock heads. Standard stuff is meant to be doable but for the life of me I could not do it any other way. Those Hookers wont be going back in, I've been told FPA's will slide straight in so I'll be getting some of them.

Would love to see a video clip of this running when the rime comes!!

I appreciate it Ash but I think I am going to have a drive shaft cut to proper length. Ive got about 4 propped up in the corner that my dad accumulated over the years I'm hoping that surely one of them will work. If cannot make one of them fit then I may get you to look for your receipt but there's no reason to go to all of that trouble now, thank you though.

I knew the headers were hard to work with but I didn't know that they were that difficult! Sounds like you had one heck of a job. I hope that mine end up going in smoothly even though I still haven't decided if I am going to use them yet but they will do for now.

I am going to do my best to post a video Im hoping I can find someone to record it. Tomorrow I have to order the last few things that I hopefully need to hear it run. I've got to get some comp cams engine break in oil, msd coil, dip stick, and I am sure there is something else that I am forgetting (maybe not). If all goes well I hope I can hear it run in the next week or so.

No problem, Drew. I had already taken a pic so will post it up for you anyway.

I've got a few in my shed too from odd cars. I've been caught out once before and managed to mix two to make one to fit and do the job. It's much cheaper I've been told too if you supply one to be modified then starting from scratch, so it can't hurt to have a little backup collection.

Looking forward to hearing how she goes, getting close!

P4230003.jpg