Sign in to follow this  
Jayru

JSWORKS.ORG - Website for my new Documentary/Car Build!

Leaving for FL in the AM to pick up my new engine from Ztuner!

Psyched! Fortune Favors The Bold

*On another note – there’s a few new ways to keep up on the project now! If you’re on Facebook, please check out and “like†our new Facebook page – Facebook (I hope to add Facebook only photos and other behind the scenes details you won’t find on the blog in the future). Also follow us on Twitter! – Twitter – Thanks everyone for the support!

A couple months ago I accidentally knocked the Z's transmission into my shiny new SPL aluminum radiator. Thankfully my buddy Jay (of JPC Fabrication in Stroudsburg, PA) fixed it up good as new.

That got me thinking about why we should all strive to be a bit more Zen when wrenching on our rides... Hope you enjoy! Zen and the Art of Radiator Repair?

jsworks_jpc_spl_radiator_13.jpg?w=614&h=345

Knowing when to say when is a good thing too. If you're so far upside down on a car and just can't afford to keep going because every time you make progress you find another boatload of cash has to be spent to fix yet something else... it's so heartbreaking that you can't justify the continuation.

If it's the car of your dreams though ... then the expenses can be justified. I've had my "Christine" moments with my car. Been run over by .. almost lost all the fingers on my right hand to & caught on fire by .. my Baby

Yes I spent a heckuvalot of money, but she's been my dream car for 26 years and there is nothing that was going to stop me from finishing her.

So you have to put life in perspective .. that's a lot of stitches .... is this your dream car?

So you have to put life in perspective .. that's a lot of stitches .... is this your dream car?

I've always loved the 300zx. My dad had an 84 Turbo when I was growing up, and a neighbor down the street a 260z. When I bought my first Z32 TT over 13 years ago, I knew I was in love. I've just never felt more comfortable behind the wheel of any other car. When I sold my second TT in 03 to buy a house, I always knew I'd have another one someday.

I love my Mustang, and always wanted to build/own a 69. But I've found with owning a Classic, there's just so little time you can actually use it because of practicality purposes.

I was so excited when this Z fell into my lap, and the possibilities seemed endless. 23-26 mpg AC, power everything, and twin turbo's easily capable of making a reliable street/daily driven 500hp. I love the fact you can cruise in style/comfort, and have a monster under your foot when you mash the gas and the turbos spool... But it's just been one long nightmare! I'm at the point where I've spent so much money on this build that I could have bought an immaculate low mileage 300zx TT!

I've always adhered to the built not bought rule, but damn... I'm finally understanding why guys just go and buy a Porsche and hit the track. You get a car that you can actually drive! (and sell for most of your investment back a few years later). Instead of a car in pieces in your garage, constantly wrenching on it.

I guess I'm getting older, but I just don't enjoy the process of a build like I used to. Less free time/more responsibilities just leaves me feeling stressed about the build constantly. It's like an all consuming monkey on my back. I guess I'm just impatient.

I'd lose my shirt if I try to sell all the parts I just bought, so I guess I really have no choice but to find another shell and build the whole thing. But It's been tough finding something really clean - these cars are getting old and so many of them are really beat to shit (at least the ones in my price range anyways). Chalk it up to adult sensibilities, but it just kills me knowing I'll never get this money back.

So to answer your question- my current 300zx is definitely no dream car, but the 300zx in general (and the one I owned previously definitely was), it's probably the best car I've personally ever owned. So yea, if I can pull it off, I think I'd be pretty happy.

Thanks again for the support guys.

I love my Mustang, and always wanted to build/own a 69. But I've found with owning a Classic, there's just so little time you can actually use it because of practicality purposes.

If you're willing to make some upgrades to the '60s technology, you can make that '69 practical for a lot more than just occasional cruises. If I was content to just use mine as a DD, it would spend a lot more time on the road than it has the past year. Attempting to race it has uncovered the weak spots, but I'm hopefull that I finally have that resolved.

My car isn't pretty to look at like many of the cars in the build threads here, but i'm not willing to put it down long enough to do a show build. At the moment I can hop in any time and drive pretty much anywhere I want. When I get back from NC I will drive up there to visit you and let you get behind the wheel and let you step on the gas. That should cheer you up:thumbup1:

When I get back from NC I will drive up there to visit you and let you get behind the wheel and let you step on the gas. That should cheer you up:thumbup1:

You're welcome to take a drive up/have weekend getaway in the Pocono's anytime my friend!

Love the story, I'm glad it is working ut that you can continue the project with a Z but not have to go through all of those setbacks! Car looks very nice :thumbup1:

Thank you! Much appreciated. The last year's been a real roller coaster, but I think I'm finally getting to the point where I see the light at the end if the tunnel. Looking forward to completing the car and hitting the track come spring!

You're welcome to take a drive up/have weekend getaway in the Pocono's anytime my friend!

Jay,

I haven't forgotten about you or changed my mind. I had family coming up for Thanksgiving and I'm still in the middle of remodeling my kitchen. I've been working like crazy on the house to be ready for guests. Now of course I have to get ready for Christams so I'm going to have to put this trip off until early spring (or until a nice enough weather day after the holidays).

Jay,

I haven't forgotten about you or changed my mind. I had family coming up for Thanksgiving and I'm still in the middle of remodeling my kitchen. I've been working like crazy on the house to be ready for guests. Now of course I have to get ready for Christams so I'm going to have to put this trip off until early spring (or until a nice enough weather day after the holidays).

No worries my friend, you're welcome anytime.

Detailed the Z last weekend, was a huge improvement! Did a little write up with pic's and the process / materials used, hope you enjoy (this definitely applies to our Mustangs as well) - Show Your Ride Some Love (Detailing 101)

Sorry I don't get on here much anymore, between the documentary, Z build, and working... I don't surf the forums like I used to. Hope you're all well! - Jay

jsworks_glaze_before_after.jpg?w=648

Had some time to blog about the recent suspension upgrades to the Z project. Night and day difference in the way the car rides & handles - and it's just the beginning!

Suspension - Part 1 (Redux)

jsworks_trod_spl.jpg?w=648

I've been wondering about you and what you've been up to, good to see you around.

Thanks Pak - still kicking around. The film / Z build keeps me pretty busy these days, so I don't have much time for the forums. But I sneak on to see what everyone's up to now and then!

Drove a Twin Turbo Z yesterday... MY Twin Turbo Z!

Took her for the first shakedown drive Sunday. The build is almost complete! Trying to get her ready for ZCON convention in Nashua, New Hampshire (first week of August). Even with minimal boost (still have to break in the motor), the car feels amazing. Super stoked guys! Photos and Specs up on the blog.

I Drove a Twin Turbo Z Yesterday...

jsworks_first_drive_wm.jpg?w=648