Sign in to follow this  
TheMenace

69 Fastback restomod

Looking great!

S197 center console... So 05-09 mustang

Exactly, it's from a 05 Mustang GT. I am going to try and get the 05 GT shift knob to go onto the Steeda Tri-Ax shifter but the Mustang knob is a push on and the Steeda is a screw on. I will have to ponder this haha.

It wasnt to had to get it to fit. Little cutter and hammer work to get right but hopefully worth it when it's done. The hardest part is going to be making an extention for the front of the console to match up with the dash. It ends 4" to short which is good bc I have room to fit the Shelby gauge pod there but need to make something to mount the pod too.

All the 05+ Mustangs are screw on shift knobs. What to you mean by press on.

I read it some where but never checked. I have the shift knob sitting in a box unopened still so I never looked at it yet. I hope I read wrong bc that would be a huge time saver for me. Cant believe everything you read on the Internet I guess.

Well you are reading this on the internet... haha... But I will say I am a self proclaimed expert in the S197, have taken several apart to the shell during builds and swap, I can gurantee that it's a screw on. In fact even the 05-13 are all screw ons.

Well you are reading this on the internet... haha... But I will say I am a self proclaimed expert in the S197, have taken several apart to the shell during builds and swap, I can gurantee that it's a screw on. In fact even the 05-13 are all screw ons.

I am going to hold you to this. I wanted the black leather shift boot with red stitching and the only one that I was able to find was from a 05-13 Cobra. It came with the 6 speed shift knob attached so now thanks to you I know to just twist that knob off.

07-09 GT500's came with that 6 speed shift knob (screw on) and also a matching leather wrapped steering wheel with red stitching. The 10-12's came with a anthracite material shift boot with white lace.

I haven't had my hands on or in a 2013 yet, but since the interior hasn't changed, I'd imagine it to be very similiar to the 10-12 GT500.

Guess you do know your way around those Mustangs. I thought it was a Shelby I got it from but it was so long ago I forgot which car is was listed as. I like the way it looks too, if it wasnt for it being a 6 speed I would have preferred it over the GT one I got.

Maybe you can help me out on this. Inside the center console is a aux input jack. It didn't come with a harness attached to it though. The radio I have has an aux input but it's a regular 3.5mm female jack. Is there a way I can take regular aux wire and splice it into the back of the one in the center console? I was just thinking of buy an aux wire and breaking out the Ford one and epoxy in the one I buy instead.

That's what I planned on doing. It's easier and you can never tell the difference.

Now onto the next question to test your knowledge. I installed the parking brake handle there. Under the car is attatched to it is the union that splits the cable to go to each wheel. I installed rear brakes from an 05 GT. The calipers had to be installed upside down for the kit. I need to get a parking cable attached but I am not sure if I should buy oem cables from an 05 bc now that the calipers are installed upside down the parking cable has to stretch a little further to reach where it has to go. Are the original ones longer than they needed to be and I have extra slack to use? If not I found universal cables from Lokar. Will these work with the rear calipers on the 05? The price between the ford cables and the Lokar are the same so I am only worried about what will work.

There is only about 2" of play in the 05+ parking cable when it's installed on an S197. They don't leave much slack at all.

Edit: In fact, the only slack that there is, is on the first part of the cable that is attached to the e-brake handle. That's where the tension is set. The rest of it is fit very tight. Tight enough that you have to man handle it to get the union separated from the front to the rear.

Alright so at least I narrowed it down to getting the Lokar one. I am not sure if the location I mounted the handle is the same distance away as it is in the 05 but it's not worth finding out the hard way. Looking at the Lokar one, will the ends match up with the rear calipers?

Thanks for all your guys compliments, words of encourgement and other build logs. I can't even count how many times I was about to throw in the towel but when I looked at other build logs and saw people transform their cars it made me push that much harder. The interior still isn't finished which is why I didn't post any pics up yet. I got the 05 mustang console in and the ebrake fully functional but the gap between the console and lower dash is 3" so I am having a filler piece made up. I bought the Shelby pod but it won't fit there so on the drivers side under the dash area where the dash and the center console meet (forgive the bad explanation of its location haha) I am having a custom gauge pod made up to hold the 2 gauges that are in the Shelby pod. They will be angled kinda like the custom a pillars that have the gauges in them. After that I am custom mounting the 3 point seat belt under the rear quater panel insert and making a smaller version of the deluxe door panel insert and slapping in on there to match the front doors. Hopefully this will be done in 2 weeks. I am so tired of working on this car lol.

You might be tired of working on it, but shortly, you will be able to enjoy it, with out having to constantly work on it. (you will probably never be "done"). The total packadge that you have done to your '69 is tastful, and has turned out extreamly nice! Take some much needed time to enjoy what you have put together, who knows, you might want to do another. (but no time soon LOL)

Dennis,

Love the work, I have a 69 mach1 and am going the same restomod road (maybe not as ambitious as yours :-)

Do you mind my asking how much this paint job cost you ? Love the gunmetal look

Pascal

Dennis,

Love the work, I have a 69 mach1 and am going the same restomod road (maybe not as ambitious as yours :-)

Do you mind my asking how much this paint job cost you ? Love the gunmetal look

Pascal

What mods are you looking into doing with yours? I just purchased the TMI coilover conversion. It's just the shock/spring upgrade not the complete front end one. weather has been freezing here in NY so i havent been able to get around to it.

i got the complete body work and paint done for $4,500. thats really cheap for the amount of work they had to do, they had the car for 2 months. the shop owner was a friend of a friend so i got a break on the price. it took them 3 weeks of just sanding/blocking to get the car perfect. i lucked out. i was quoted from other shops for about $8,000-$10,000. keep in mind these are NY prices and seem to always be higher than most other states.

I had pictures taken a few weeks ago for a magazine. The mustang and my story will be a feature in an upcoming issue of Modified Mustangs & Fords. They told me that while they were doing the photo shoot the magazine was already done working on Aprils magazine so it will take over 6 months till they can get my car in there, if not longer. I dont know for sure if it will be on the cover or not but it will be the featured car of the month so i will have about 4-6 pages of coverage. I will keep you guys updated on when the car will be printed.